+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experiences of people travelling abroad with the refugee travel document.

Abuzedi

Dec 13, 2018
So far those are the countries that I know for sure cause I call them (Ambassy) to confirm that it's free visa with RTD:

- Germany (once you have cleared custom their visa give you access to schengen countries)

- Cuba
- Finland
- Hungary
- Bahamas
- Belize
Thx alot

Abuzedi

Dec 13, 2018
So far those are the countries that I know for sure cause I call them (Ambassy) to confirm that it's free visa with RTD:

- Germany (once you have cleared custom their visa give you access to schengen countries)

- Cuba
- Finland
- Hungary
- Bahamas
- Belize
Your information is soooo helpful
Thx a lot

rowanlan

Jul 31, 2018
we hold RTD without PR cards, we apply for Turkish visa in Toronto and after two weeks we got our visa.
my question is for book air tickets to turkey i should only look for Direct flight or i can have One stop in Island or London or France or Netherland?
anyone have a similar experience?

Violet flower

Oct 14, 2018
we hold RTD without PR cards, we apply for Turkish visa in Toronto and after two weeks we got our visa.
my question is for book air tickets to turkey i should only look for Direct flight or i can have One stop in Island or London or France or Netherland?
Hi

May I know how can I get the references? I wanna apply for the RTD ..would appreciate your guidance.

Regards

Ali94

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hello Mehdi, can you tell me what's the requiremnent of that turkish visa, all my family in turkey but and im afraid that they may reject the visa becaus i don't have job yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Mehdi, can you tell me what's the requiremnent of that turkish visa, all my family in turkey but and im afraid that they may reject the visa becaus i don't have job yet.
You need to have had a positive asylum hearing to qualify for RTD. It seems like you arrived in August/September with plans to do some medical training but assume you filed for asylum instead. It isn't likely that you've had a hearing.

sambibi

Star Member
Apr 29, 2018
Dear jaja2018. Thank you very very very much . I appriciate. You helped me a lot. I am about to buy my ticket. I am going to leave Canada mid March and come back around early april. I will also share my experience with you. Again I appriciate . God bless you.
Hi Bro, please share your experience after your travel

sambibi

Star Member
Apr 29, 2018
Dear jaja2018. Thank you very very very much . I appriciate. You helped me a lot. I am about to buy my ticket. I am going to leave Canada mid March and come back around early april. I will also share my experience with you. Again I appriciate . God bless you.
Hi please share your experience after your travel

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Please everyone let's revive this thread. it's a very good one. This is my experience below and i'm look for any tips or experiences with going to Cuba with no PR yet, just RTD.

I went to Germany and Croatia this summer, no problems what so ever, entered Germany with literally one question, what are you visiting for? Tourism, aaaaand Stamp! i stayed for 4 nights and then went to Croatia, same not a word, basically stamp automatically, and then I reentered Germany for 1 day transit and next day went back home. It was a bit of a wait in Canada but no one interrogated me or had any questions for me, i was referred to immigration line and it was just the long wait that's annoying, eventually she just stamped my passport with no questions asked.

Any new or near experiences with Cuba? or any similar countries? looking for somewhere to go for Christmas.

Thunder01

Sep 23, 2019
Hi guys, I'm going back to Cuba this October and it will be my 3rd times going there, the fist time I used only my RTD I had no permanent resident card yet and I didn't encounter any problem when I got there, just don't lost you Cuban visa it will be handed to you on your arrival and you will need it for your return on Cuban immigration. my 2nd time I brought my permanent resident card but you will not need it, but just incase to be safe, bring it with you. and this time I will be travelling to Cuba again with my renewed RTD and permanent resident card.

does anyone of you have travelled to Singapore using RTD?

Sarah0211

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
Please everyone let's revive this thread. it's a very good one. This is my experience below and i'm look for any tips or experiences with going to Cuba with no PR yet, just RTD.

I went to Germany and Croatia this summer, no problems what so ever, entered Germany with literally one question, what are you visiting for? Tourism, aaaaand Stamp! i stayed for 4 nights and then went to Croatia, same not a word, basically stamp automatically, and then I reentered Germany for 1 day transit and next day went back home. It was a bit of a wait in Canada but no one interrogated me or had any questions for me, i was referred to immigration line and it was just the long wait that's annoying, eventually she just stamped my passport with no questions asked.

Any new or near experiences with Cuba? or any similar countries? looking for somewhere to go for Christmas.

Can I ask what carrier did you fly with? I called AirCanada and Lufthansa to ask if they will accept RTD and they confused me even more. My PR is still in processing too and I wanna know if I will be able to board with Lufthansa to go to Germany. Many thanks!

Sarah0211

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
I have just came back in Nov 2017 for 2 months from Europe within the schengen area. Yes Germany does accept RTD without PR card as long as you are staying up to 3 months with a return ticket no questions ask. Now once you have entered Germany since they are part of Shengen automatically once they stamp your RTD they give you access to the schengen area. I went to Paris Portugal Netherlands Belgium. By the way I do that 2 months once a year since 2 years now no problem. Tips: just remember to tell them that your final destination is Germany any city in there cause I have remember once I told them my final destination was Spain and they did not like the fact that I used their entry to go to another country even though they still let me in but they clearly made me understood that you must not go to other places cause of terrorism since it is on their schengen visa that you are travelling abroad. Bottom line don't mention if you plan to go to other places in Europe to avoid too many questions and complications. I took the train up to Bruxelles and from there I was able to fly to Portugal, Paris, Barcelone also cleared custom with the German stamp on my RTD no questions ask they just checked to see if I had a schengen visa and of course since Germany is part of scheguen and my main entrance was there everything was all good and came back to Canada no problem at all I did several times. So if you are going to Netherlands you know what to do just remember to tell them in case if they ask you "what's your final destination" to respond i

The carrier is what I am scared of! Does AirCanada and Lufthansa accept RTD? I called and wrote to both, none of them gave a clear answer. My PR is still in processing. My plan is to go Germany with the RTD. Many thanks!

SPIRATY

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
Well, actually I already booked a flight to cuba to see my gf. She is from my country of birth usa today protonmail and i already booked a flight for her as well. I have the refugee travel document. It is my first time travelling abroad without the passport of my country, it is a little bit weird. I don't know if i could have any problem landing cuba with this document. As i know, i just need a tourist card to visit cuba which is provided after arriving cuba. That is what i know until now. I hope more people talk about their experiencies.

Good luck prissy4ever. ;)
, i just need a tourist card to visit cuba which is provided after arriving cuba. That is what i know until now. I hope more people talk about their experiencies.

Last edited:

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Can I ask what carrier did you fly with? I called AirCanada and Lufthansa to ask if they will accept RTD and they confused me even more. My PR is still in processing too and I wanna know if I will be able to board with Lufthansa to go to Germany. Many thanks!
I used Air Canada, direct flight, honestly I didn't even call before, I know for a fact that Aircanada accepts RTDs, once you are in the airport just go to check in using the counter because the self check-in machines don't read the RTD, don't agents on the phone, are in a call center and probably hav no idea what they are talking about, i would recommend asking them to direct you to a supervisor because of the conflicting and contradicting info you are getting.