+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experiences of people travelling abroad with the refugee travel document.

Jaja2018

Feb 24, 2018
Hi guys, I just applied for a Refugee Travel Document and planning to see my sister after years in Netherlands. I am a protected person and I don't have my pr card yet. Do I need a visa to visit Netherlands or are there any Europe countries which do not require a visa ? Some people say Germany does not require a visa if you have a Canada Refugee travel document if so, Other schengen countries souldn not require either there is no border between countries in Europe . Thanks for all the replies.
I have just came back in Nov 2017 for 2 months from Europe within the schengen area. Yes Germany does accept RTD without PR card as long as you are staying up to 3 months with a return ticket no questions ask. Now once you have entered Germany since they are part of Shengen automatically once they stamp your RTD they give you access to the schengen area. I went to Paris Portugal Netherlands Belgium. By the way I do that 2 months once a year since 2 years now no problem. Tips: just remember to tell them that your final destination is Germany any city in there cause I have remember once I told them my final destination was Spain and they did not like the fact that I used their entry to go to another country even though they still let me in but they clearly made me understood that you must not go to other places cause of terrorism since it is on their schengen visa that you are travelling abroad. Bottom line don't mention if you plan to go to other places in Europe to avoid too many questions and complications. I took the train up to Bruxelles and from there I was able to fly to Portugal, Paris, Barcelone also cleared custom with the German stamp on my RTD no questions ask they just checked to see if I had a schengen visa and of course since Germany is part of scheguen and my main entrance was there everything was all good and came back to Canada no problem at all I did several times. So if you are going to Netherlands you know what to do just remember to tell them in case if they ask you "what's your final destination" to respond i

Jaja2018

Feb 24, 2018
Hi guys, I just applied for a Refugee Travel Document and planning to see my sister after years in Netherlands. I am a protected person and I don't have my pr card yet. Do I need a visa to visit Netherlands or are there any Europe countries which do not require a visa ? Some people say Germany does not require a visa if you have a Canada Refugee travel document if so, Other schengen countries souldn not require either there is no border between countries in Europe . Thanks for all the replies.
In case they ask "what's your final destination" just remember to tell them any city in Getmany name it Cassel or Berlin what ever it is but still in Germany and then when you clear custom and they have stamp your passport you are good since Germany is part of schengen and only issues schengen visas

Jaja2018

Feb 24, 2018
So far those are the countries that I know for sure cause I call them (Ambassy) to confirm that it's free visa with RTD:

- Germany (once you have cleared custom their visa give you access to schengen countries)

- Cuba
- Finland
- Hungary
- Bahamas
- Belize

atakan24

Feb 11, 2018
Dear jaja2018. Thank you very very very much . I appriciate. You helped me a lot. I am about to buy my ticket. I am going to leave Canada mid March and come back around early april. I will also share my experience with you. Again I appriciate . God bless you.

Jaja2018

Feb 24, 2018
Dear jaja2018. Thank you very very very much . I appriciate. You helped me a lot. I am about to buy my ticket. I am going to leave Canada mid March and come back around early april. I will also share my experience with you. Again I appriciate . God bless you.
No problem my friend you can also view that info that holder of RTD does not need a visa to enter Germany for 90 days on the German embassy website I would suggest you to take a screenshot just in case an airline is not aware you can also view that info https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/germany-visa/canada/ scroll down you will see that it is clearly mention you don't need a visa to enter Germany and last thing make sure you book a ticket straight to germany no stop to another country. Safe trip

atakan24

Feb 11, 2018
I got the screenshot. My flight will be directly to Frankfurt. Thank you so much again. I will share my experience when I come back.

Reactions: sambibi

Hana93

Mar 9, 2018
I have just came back in Nov 2017 for 2 months from Europe within the schengen area. Yes Germany does accept RTD without PR card as long as you are staying up to 3 months with a return ticket no questions ask. Now once you have entered Germany since they are part of Shengen automatically once they stamp your RTD they give you access to the schengen area. I went to Paris Portugal Netherlands Belgium. By the way I do that 2 months once a year since 2 years now no problem. Tips: just remember to tell them that your final destination is Germany any city in there cause I have remember once I told them my final destination was Spain and they did not like the fact that I used their entry to go to another country even though they still let me in but they clearly made me understood that you must not go to other places cause of terrorism since it is on their schengen visa that you are travelling abroad. Bottom line don't mention if you plan to go to other places in Europe to avoid too many questions and complications. I took the train up to Bruxelles and from there I was able to fly to Portugal, Paris, Barcelone also cleared custom with the German stamp on my RTD no questions ask they just checked to see if I had a schengen visa and of course since Germany is part of scheguen and my main entrance was there everything was all good and came back to Canada no problem at all I did several times. So if you are going to Netherlands you know what to do just remember to tell them in case if they ask you "what's your final destination" to respond i
hey I just got my RTD with PR yet and trying to travel to europe this summer, so basically you're what you're saying is that once you're in germany you can go anywhere within the schengen visa, but my question is that your travelling to paris "for instance" would it be legal or if the police caught you you'd get in trouble? and also do i just book a direct flight to germany and that's it?

Hana93

Mar 9, 2018
hey I just got my RTD with no PR yet and trying to travel to europe this summer, so basically you're what you're saying is that once you're in germany you can go anywhere within the schengen visa, but my question is that your travelling to paris "for instance" would it be legal or if the police caught you you'd get in trouble? and also do i just book a direct flight to germany and that's it?

wezhira

Mar 14, 2017
Hey guys

Does anyone know if any airlines to Mexico do not accept travellers with Refugee Travel Documents,i am looking at flying to Cancun Mexico with Aeromexico but not sure if they accept RTD with mexican visa..I phoned the airline reps but they barely spoke English and couldn't give me a confident answer...anyone with experience with them? Thanks

rowanlan

Jul 31, 2018
Hey guys

Does anyone know if any airlines to Mexico do not accept travellers with Refugee Travel Documents,i am looking at flying to Cancun Mexico with Aeromexico but not sure if they accept RTD with mexican visa..I phoned the airline reps but they barely spoke English and couldn't give me a confident answer...anyone with experience with them? Thanks
i have same question . is anyone travel to Cancun Mexico hold RTD without PR card ? any issue ?

Sanko2u

Sep 19, 2018
Toronto
Can someone help?

We have a new family friend and his status is an accepted "convention refuge" and recently applied for PR status and will for the PR card after.

My family goes to the Dominica or Cuba every year and we are Canadian Citizens with passports no issues traveling.
We would like to invite our friend with us, but can he get travel documents so that he can travel with us?

Does he need a PR card to go to Cuba or Dominica?
Is the "Canadian Travel Document" RTD enough to enter the countries?

Will there be a disadvantage to him if he gets the travel documents (RTD) before his papers are finalized for the PR?

We would really appreciate if you someone could help us.

Thank you,

roopani

Jun 14, 2017
Hi.
If some travel with RTD to india as citizenships of Pakistan or Bangladesh or Afghanistan.
What documents neede.
My Passport with RPD and expired long time. I have copy of it.
But during filling of application they asking passport details and they need 6 months validation before you departure to india.application not going through.in this scenario any one please help me to fill application.
Also they said write an afidivate and attested with Pakistani high commissioner ,that is not possible because I don’t have original with me.
In this also need any I’d of Indian host,let me know which is best I’d I have to submit to get visa.please some can write in details so I can apply and get visa.
Any one please help me ASAP
Thanks
Best Regards

ale87

May 2, 2018
Does anyone know if I could travel to Dominican Republic with only RTD and no PR ? Thank you all!!!