+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Evidence of intention to move amidst travel restrictions

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Hi All,

I'm sponsoring my spouse and kids (outland sponsorship). So far we've progressed with the application... we've received AOR, spouse completed biometrics and recently we did the medicals. Now the embassy sent me an email saying the evidence I've provided for intention to move is not sufficient. I had sent, along with my application, a detailed plan for traveling showing my financial plans as well as logistical plans including correspondence with a moving company. Research on Job posts in my field...etc Also correspondence with colleagues in Canada explaining my intention to move and getting advice on logistics and settling in. I also provided a letter showing the end of my employment at the company I was working at outside Canada. I thought all this would be enough but apparently it isn't. They're asking for more proof. Amongst the things they asked for as proof:

Rent/purchase home in Canada - Obviously I'm not going to rent, let alone buy something now until I've landed or at least have finalized landing dates (totally unknown now given Travel restrictions)

Letter from an educational institute in Canada - I don't intend to do any post graduate studies at the moment so this is not really an option.

A job offer in Canada - Kinda of hard to land a job when applying from half way across the globe.

Purchased Confirmed/Tickets - This seems to be the only feasible option at the moment but with travel restrictions in place I have no idea when I'd be able to travel. Since I need to set a date when purchasing tickets I'd have to choose some date in the future and hope travel restrictions are lifted. If restrictions are extended I assume I can extend tickets (within a reasonable period) otherwise I'll need to refund the tickets and incur hefty penalties.

Any advice on what to do here. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A few obvious ones to think about that you can start work on right away:

-engage a real estate agent and show them correspondence of what you are looking for and where. You don't necessarily have to sign a contract to rent but actually looking is a specific thing. If you have a 'temporary' plan for accommodation for first few months, wouldn't hurt either.

-you say you have kids, I would guess that the educational institution comment perhaps referred to plans for them.

I would not be shy about reiterating what you have previously sent and adding with any updates (e.g. more firm departure dates from work).

Tickets: even correspondence with a travel agent / reservation (even if not paid for) would not hurt.

In response too, you can certainly emphasize that as soon as you have anything close to a specific date, these arrangements will be made to firm up. Or pick a target date eg start of school year and start to show plans for that.

You say kids - would also be sure to mention that moving a multiple-person, generational household is difficult - ie you can't incur large outlays until dates are somewhat firm.

Separately would suggest you order gcms notes.

I am somewhat guessing here as you do not put dates but in terms of your planning process, I would think that this request means they have done the main analysis and if they're satisfied with your answers, it may move somewhat quickly and be a matter of months (two? three? I don't know, I'm only guessing). This would of course also depend whether eg security checks are done (about which I have no idea). I don't say this to get your hopes up or to get you to make large financial commitments, but it may help in terms of how you frame your responses - i.e. think they may be looking for answers that roughly correspond to those timelines.

Reactions: S76

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
We are in a similar situation in that my husband (Canadian citizen) has been out of Canada as a student for 7 years. We haven't received SA yet (just got AOR and biometric request on March 25/26th) so I am not sure if what we included will be helpful or not, especially as it overlaps a great deal with what you said you included but here it is in case it is helpful:

- We included a detailed table of the jobs he had applied for (probably 30ish jobs at that point) including date applied for, date asked for pre-interview exam, date of interview etc (It sounds like you haven't actually applied for any jobs yet - could you apply for some?)
- We showed that he has maintained a Canadian bank account and credit card
- Mentioned his frequent trips to see his mom and grandma, and that he has been back for several weddings of friends (trying to show evidence of maintaining ties to Canada)
- We mentioned having looked at houses/apartments
- We emphasized that we've applied for our daughter's Canadian citizenship (quick question - you said you are sponsoring your dependent children? If you are a citizen, I don't think they can be sponsored)

He did recently get a job offer, and once we have the finalized job letter with a start date (it is with a federal agency and my has it been slow as they do their background checks!) we will be sending that in via webform with a note explaining that he now has a job in Canada and is moving there on X date.

Hope this helps in some way, and good luck to you!

Reactions: S76 and armoured

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Thanks guys for your suggestions. Those are some good ideas to work with! I'm probably going to go with the plane tickets for now and get flexible dates so I can change them if I need to. Hopefully that will be enough along with the other things I sent them earlier.

- We emphasized that we've applied for our daughter's Canadian citizenship (quick question - you said you are sponsoring your dependent children? If you are a citizen, I don't think they can be sponsored)
They are second generation born outside Canada so yes they can be sponsored.

Reactions: armoured