+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exemption from travel restrictions for reuniting with family applicable for outland sponsorship?

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Hi,

I'm currently sponsoring my family (Outland sponsorship) to move to Canada. Recently my family got their COPR however as far as I understand we can't travel due to the restrictions currently in place. I'm wondering if there's anyway we can still travel given our current situation.
I noticed on the the site (here) that one of the exemptions for entry is to reunite with family. So my question is if I travel to Canada first without my family. Can they then join me a month or two later based on that exemption? Also it says we would need written authorization from IRCC, so I imagine after I travel we'd have to update our status with IRCC and request such a letter? Is this possible? If so any ideas on how long approval from IRCC would take?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I'm currently sponsoring my family (Outland sponsorship) to move to Canada. Recently my family got their COPR however as far as I understand we can't travel due to the restrictions currently in place. I'm wondering if there's anyway we can still travel given our current situation.
I noticed on the the site (here) that one of the exemptions for entry is to reunite with family. So my question is if I travel to Canada first without my family. Can they then join me a month or two later based on that exemption? Also it says we would need written authorization from IRCC, so I imagine after I travel we'd have to update our status with IRCC and request such a letter? Is this possible? If so any ideas on how long approval from IRCC would take?
As long as it's immediate family eg spouse and kids of Canadian citizen or pr, you can all travel together. No written authorization needed. You will need to show airline family relationship eg marriage certificate, birth certificates, status of the pr or cotizen. Be sure to check with airline first that they understand this and will accept your proof.

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Ok thanks for clarifying. However we got a letter along with the COPR saying "You won't be allowed to board your flight to Canada at this time"

It also says "until further notice, monst foreign nationals cannot travel to Canada if their valid COPR and PRV was issued after March 18,2020, unless they are exempt from the travel restrictions"
So according to what you mentioned, since they are immediate family (spouse and kids) they would be exempt?
What about the statement saying they can't board the flight at this time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok thanks for clarifying. However we got a letter along with the COPR saying "You won't be allowed to board your flight to Canada at this time"

It also says "until further notice, monst foreign nationals cannot travel to Canada if their valid COPR and PRV was issued after March 18,2020, unless they are exempt from the travel restrictions"
So according to what you mentioned, since they are immediate family (spouse and kids) they would be exempt?
The statement says they can't board a flight unless they are exempt. They are exempt. So they can board.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

As above, unless exempt. If you are a citizen or pr, they are exempt.

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Thanks both of you for clarifying! You mentioned if they travel with me its no problem. What if I travel first and spouse and kids follow some time later just confirming that would also be Ok?