+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Establishing Canadian Citizenship By Descent As An Adult

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I have read most of the above scenario's and done the brief citizenship check and it appears that I may be eligible for citizenship due to the several law changes over the years.
I was born to a Canadian mother. She was born in Nova Scotia, aprox 5 May 1916. She left Canada aprox 1947 with a contingent of Canadian nurses to work at a hospital in Durban, South Africa. She married a South African. I was born in 1958. I left South Africa in 1998 and currently reside in Australia as an Australian citizen. Many times over the past 40 years I have looked at the process of picking up Canadian citizenship but it has seemed too difficult to pursue. I have extensive family across Canada and would like to become a citizen to allow for an extended stay to connect with my Canadian roots as I have the financial means to do so now. I understand that I would need to apply to the citizenship certificate first ?, however, I am a bit challenged on how to obtain my mother's birth certificate for starters. Any suggestions and feedback would be welcome.
Per Access Nova Scotia vital statistic's genealogy page, you should be able to research/obtain your mother's birth record from www.novascotiagenealogy.com.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Per Access Nova Scotia vital statistic's genealogy page, you should be able to research/obtain your mother's birth record from www.novascotiagenealogy.com.
As stated at that site:

"There are two options for ordering copies of the Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics:

• electronic copies, immediately available for you to download. You will also receive an e-mail containing the links to your electronic purchase; these links remain active for 3 days, so that you can download and save your order. The electronic copies are superb quality, high-resolution jpeg image files – 4 times' higher resolution than what is displayed online.
• paper copies, normally processed within two business days of order receipt and sent to your mailing address via regular postal service. These are high quality, laser-printed on bond paper, certified and embossed."

So, you will need to order a paper copy, because an electronic copy is not certified. Here is a sample:

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/support/birthc.asp

Wongv3

Mar 15, 2019
Hi my dad became a Canadian citizen in 1977. I was born in the US in 1991. Will turn 28 in June. Am I eligible to apply for a citizenship ASAP before my birthday? Am confused about the 2009 rule application

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi my dad became a canaCana citizen in 1997. I was born in the US in 1991. Will turn 28 in June. Am I eligible to apply for a citizenship ASAP before my birthday? Am confused about the 2009 rule application
No. Your father needed to be a citizen when you were actually born for you to be a citizen by descent.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Hi my dad became a Canadian citizen in 1977. I was born in the US in 1991. Will turn 28 in June. Am I eligible to apply for a citizenship ASAP before my birthday? Am confused about the 2009 rule application
Under the current Citizenship Act, you would be considered the first generation born abroad and are eligible for citizenship by descent. The requirement to file for retention by the age of 28 after the 1977 Act applied only to those that are second generation or higher and was rescinded in 2009, so only those born between February 15, 1977 and April 16, 1981 had to file for retention; this rule is not applicable to you. There is no deadline to apply for proof of citizenship, so you may do so at your leisure (provided that you follow the application guidelines).

nathan lavery

Apr 14, 2019
Hi,

I was wondering if i may be a canadian citizen by descent?

My mother was born in Ottawa in 1968 (she has her provincial birth certificate) and used her canadian passport until 1996 but never renewed once it expired as she had a U.K passport by this time.

Both of my grandparents are from the UK and left Canada to come “home” in 1975. (they were not dilplomats or actively involved in the military or government, just regular joes)
when they came back to the U.K my mother got dual nationality U.K & her pre existing Canadian.

I was born in Leicester, England in 1997. My birth certificate states my mother as Canadian.

Am i eledgible for Dual citizenship?

I only ask as my Girlfriend is canadian and a full canadian citizen and with a view of potentially immigrating to be with her in the next few years i’m hoping having dual nationality/canadian passport may simplify this process.

Any response is greatly appreciated
thank you

Reactions: Rullence

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

I was wondering if i may be a canadian citizen by descent?

My mother was born in Ottawa in 1968 (she has her provincial birth certificate) and used her canadian passport until 1996 but never renewed once it expired as she had a U.K passport by this time.

Both of my grandparents are from the UK and left Canada to come “home” in 1975. (they were not dilplomats or actively involved in the military or government, just regular joes)
when they came back to the U.K my mother got dual nationality U.K & her pre existing Canadian.

I was born in Leicester, England in 1997. My birth certificate states my mother as Canadian.

Am i eledgible for Dual citizenship?

I only ask as my Girlfriend is canadian and a full canadian citizen and with a view of potentially immigrating to be with her in the next few years i’m hoping having dual nationality/canadian passport may simplify this process.

Any response is greatly appreciated
thank you
1, Yes, first generation born abroad. Apply for your proof of citizenship. You will need a copy of your mother's birth certificate

Reactions: nathan lavery

mcgregorb

Apr 29, 2019
I am a U.S. citizen. My husband was born in Greece in 1969, then moved to Canada when he was 16 and got his Canadian citizenship. Our son was born August 8, 2008 in the U.S.A. and we have lived in the U.S. my son's whole life. I'm not clear what the April 2009 rule change (first descent) means for us. Can I apply for my son's Canadian citizenship?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My husband was born in Greece in 1969, then moved to Canada when he was 16 and got his Canadian citizenship. Our son was born August 8, 2009 in the U.S.A. and we have lived here my son's whole life. I'm not clear what the April 2009 rule change (first descent) means for us. Can I apply for my son's Canadian citizenship by way of Naturalization still?
It doesn't mean anything for your situation. Your son is already Canadian and does not need to be naturalized. Apply for his Certificate of Citizenship.

mcgregorb

Apr 29, 2019
It doesn't mean anything for your situation. Your son is already Canadian and does not need to be naturalized. Apply for his Certificate of Citizenship.
I edited my original entry to add clarification/detail to our situation. Is our son automatically considered “Canadian” because his father who was born in Greece has a Canadian citizenship? I am an American citizen.
Thank you!