+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada via land border using COPR

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone!
I'm gonna start by saying I have been reading the threads on the website to figure out the answer to my question but so far I'm not really sure. So any help would be hugely appreciated.

I currently live in the US and have a US greencard. I also got approved for a Canadian PR through express entry and I currently have my passport with stamped visa and COPR letter. Here are my questions:
1. Can I drive to Canada from the US to initiate my PR status with car with US plates? I'm traveling with my fiance who is a US citizen and owns the car.
2. I need to go back to the US shortly after I entered Canada. But I will go back to Canada again within a few weeks for a conference. This time I would be flying. I've gathered that my COPR wouldn't work for the second entry but can I enter using my US greencard? Would that hurt my PR application in any way?
1. Yes

2. Your U.S. Green card will have no advantage to you seeking entry into Canada. You will need either a valid PR Card, or a PRTD to fly to Canada (even from the U.S., unless you hold a valid U.S. passport).

Be prepared if you are questioned by either/both CBSA and CBP regarding your status in each country. You must know that maintaining both, while possible, is often challenging because of the vastly different residency requirements.

Reactions: ursha_07

ursha_07

Apr 21, 2023
1. Yes

2. Your U.S. Green card will have no advantage to you seeking entry into Canada. You will need either a valid PR Card, or a PRTD to fly to Canada (even from the U.S., unless you hold a valid U.S. passport).

Be prepared if you are questioned by either/both CBSA and CBP regarding your status in each country. You must know that maintaining both, while possible, is often challenging because of the vastly different residency requirements.
Thanks for responding!
When you say "Your U.S. Green card will have no advantage to you seeking entry into Canada", I'm mostly confused because in general a U.S. green card holder can enter canada without a visa, see below from https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1053&top=16

As of April 26, 2022, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. must show the following documents for all methods of travel to Canada:

So do you mean that I can't use my green card to fly in because I have a PR Card in process?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for responding!
When you say "Your U.S. Green card will have no advantage to you seeking entry into Canada", I'm mostly confused because in general a U.S. green card holder can enter canada without a visa, see below from https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1053&top=16

As of April 26, 2022, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. must show the following documents for all methods of travel to Canada:

So do you mean that I can't use my green card to fly in because I have a PR Card in process?
I'm not sure. The airlines may not be aware that your Green Card will grant you entry into Canada. Surprisingly, they don't seem to understand that as a PR of Canada, you don't even need a valid PR Card to enter the country, but...they require one. Might be best to contact the airline.

Reactions: ursha_07

Tarasha5191

Jul 9, 2023
Hi, i am on same boat but cannot drive. Do yoh know if I can cross the border on foot at rainbow bridge? Or if i take private taxi from buffalo aiport to niagra at canada side, will that work? Please reply

JasonReyes

Jun 19, 2023
Hi there,

I've heard that you can use your COPR to enter canada via US-CAN land border while waiting for your first PR card. However, I couldn't find any information on IRCC about using COPR to enter canada in private car.

Would someone be able to share the link for this?

Thanks
Hello everyone. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the PR approval letter? Do they send it by email or mail? My application status changed to decision made 2 days ago, but I haven't gotten any emails or information about it.

sagartheocean

Jun 19, 2023
Hello There,

I have read throgh this thread and very useful responses and I almost got most of the answers.

I am Indian citizen having L1 visa in US and I got my COPR & IM-1 Canada visa. I am planning to enter to Canada via Niagara border and planning to return on the same day.

1. I have read that they may not apply for PR card, should I worry in that case?
2. If they apply for PR card should I apply for SIN on the same day?
3. Can I come back to the United States on the same day?
4. Should I fill the Goods to follow form? As I am not yet sure when I will be permanently moving to Canada. Is it safe to declare current asset and sign goods to follow form?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, i am on same boat but cannot drive. Do yoh know if I can cross the border on foot at rainbow bridge? Or if i take private taxi from buffalo aiport to niagra at canada side, will that work? Please reply
Yes, you can take a taxi and then enter on foot.

Rnrahman

Sep 2, 2023
Hey all, any recent updates on the above? Has anyone done the above either walking across rainbow bridge or in a rented vehicle?