+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada via land border using COPR

saiGaz

Star Member
May 29, 2020
Yea he didn’t ask anything.
Note - Tomorrow I’m going to US again, but this time I’m traveling in my own car (previously it was rental) from Toronto. Hopefully on Saturday I won’t be facing any issues coming back.
I was able to come back again without any issues. They did ask about the card, and I explained to them what happened, they suggested follow up.

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
I was able to come back again without any issues. They did ask about the card, and I explained to them what happened, they suggested follow up.
nice. that gives me hope.. I am gonna maybe travel in the same manner using local BC ID and COPR in the beginning of July if I dont get the card by then.

Reactions: saiGaz

saiGaz

Star Member
May 29, 2020
nice. that gives me hope.. I am gonna maybe travel in the same manner using local BC ID and COPR in the beginning of July if I dont get the card by then.
Today only I got my card. They shipped mine on May 26th.
After submitting SD form, it took 2.5 months to get approved.

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Today only I got my card. They shipped mine on May 26th.
After submitting SD form, it took 2.5 months to get approved.
oh wow, congratulations buddy!! my SD was delivered to them in the beginning of May.. so going by 2.5, I think I should expect it sometime in July :/

saiGaz

Star Member
May 29, 2020
oh wow, congratulations buddy!! my SD was delivered to them in the beginning of May.. so going by 2.5, I think I should expect it sometime in July :/
Thank you,
Mine got delayed because of federal strike in between. Hopefully urs will be fast

saiGaz

Star Member
May 29, 2020
I should maybe try asking IRCC if they have any line of sight on the status
Call them and ask, which date the office is processing.

they told me on that day it was March 3rd (mine was march 26th) but with in1 hour my status got changed

Sumanik

Star Member
Feb 16, 2020
Hi,

I sponsored my partner on a spousal visa and he became a PR on 18 March 2022 via land boarder. We still do not have a PR card and only have his COPR. We have been working with our local MP but apparently they still see his card as in processing. We need to go see his family in the UK but can't risk him getting stuck for extra time in the UK waiting for PRTD. We had him fly back via Alaska last tripand my dad went to pick him up and they drove back together. But before we book our next set of flights for August I wanted to check here. If we wanted to land in the USA can a friend come pick us up in their vehicle and drive us across the boarder? We have COPR, valid UK passport, SIN Number and driver's liscense as proof of residence. Please help! We're finding this very stressful.

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Call them and ask, which date the office is processing.

they told me on that day it was March 3rd (mine was march 26th) but with in1 hour my status got changed
Oh finally it arrived yesterday!! Luckily it was just around a month that it was dispatched after the solemn declaration was delivered to them..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I sponsored my partner on a spousal visa and he became a PR on 18 March 2022 via land boarder. We still do not have a PR card and only have his COPR. We have been working with our local MP but apparently they still see his card as in processing. We need to go see his family in the UK but can't risk him getting stuck for extra time in the UK waiting for PRTD. We had him fly back via Alaska last tripand my dad went to pick him up and they drove back together. But before we book our next set of flights for August I wanted to check here. If we wanted to land in the USA can a friend come pick us up in their vehicle and drive us across the boarder? We have COPR, valid UK passport, SIN Number and driver's liscense as proof of residence. Please help! We're finding this very stressful.
Yes, you can do that. I assume your partner has an ESTA.

Sumanik

Star Member
Feb 16, 2020
Yes, you can do that. I assume your partner has an ESTA.
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes he has an ESTA.

I was concerned something had changed as now the guide for applying for PRTD specifically says the confirmation of permanent residency document is not valid for travel to Canada.

This is directly below the section that states you can use other documents to cross at a land boarder in a private vehicle.

The guide was updated two days ago so I wondered if that was a change as we did not notice that wording when he travelled through Alaska to Canada in Feb.

Reactions: btejani

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes he has an ESTA.

I was concerned something had changed as now the guide for applying for PRTD specifically says the confirmation of permanent residency document is not valid for travel to Canada.

This is directly below the section that states you can use other documents to cross at a land boarder in a private vehicle.

The guide was updated two days ago so I wondered if that was a change as we did not notice that wording when he travelled through Alaska to Canada in Feb.
COPR has always been not valid for travel to Canada. This is nothing new.

Traveling by car across the border is an exception to the above. You can also do it with an invalid PR card.

ursha_07

Apr 21, 2023
Hi everyone!
I'm gonna start by saying I have been reading the threads on the website to figure out the answer to my question but so far I'm not really sure. So any help would be hugely appreciated.

I currently live in the US and have a US greencard. I also got approved for a Canadian PR through express entry and I currently have my passport with stamped visa and COPR letter. Here are my questions:
1. Can I drive to Canada from the US to initiate my PR status with car with US plates? I'm traveling with my fiance who is a US citizen and owns the car.
2. I need to go back to the US shortly after I entered Canada. But I will go back to Canada again within a few weeks for a conference. This time I would be flying. I've gathered that my COPR wouldn't work for the second entry but can I enter using my US greencard? Would that hurt my PR application in any way?