+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada via land border using COPR

Joe110

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
If you have a COPR (eg with the visa or ETA), you can fly - for your first landing. The issue is that the COPR is not valid to board a plane on subsequent trips, and that's what's being discussed above.
@armoured -

1. In lieu of above, if someone does soft landing from US to Canada and at that point in time the Border Officer doesn't initiate PR Card application, will the person still become the Permanent Residence? (I know a bit silly ques, but just want to be double sure)

2. And as per your response here, for subsequent trip to CN, if the person has not been offered the PR Card, would signed/stamped COPR work or PRTD is required then?

3. Follow-up Q on point#2 - When should the person request the issuance of PR Card if it's not been issued to her after she did her first landing?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@armoured -

1. In lieu of above, if someone does soft landing from US to Canada and at that point in time the Border Officer doesn't initiate PR Card application, will the person still become the Permanent Residence? (I know a bit silly ques, but just want to be double sure)

2. And as per your response here, for subsequent trip to CN, if the person has not been offered the PR Card, would signed/stamped COPR work or PRTD is required then?

3. Follow-up Q on point#2 - When should the person request the issuance of PR Card if it's not been issued to her after she did her first landing?
1. Yes.
2. COPR at land crossing, PRTD to fly.
3. When moves to Canada, basically.

Joe110

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
1. Yes.
2. COPR at land crossing, PRTD to fly.
3. When moves to Canada, basically.
Thanks alot @armoured.

Follow-up Q:
3. When moves to Canada, basically. - Is it a separate application altogether? or gets initiated when do a hard land? Like what is the process?

Also, do you or anyone in the group know -
Does the immigration office at peace bridge have specific working hours for the landing process? I would imagine them working 24/7 but correct me if I'm wrong. I got mixed information from CBSA agents - one said processing hours for PR applications is Tue/Wed/Thurs, 8am EST to midnight, and another person mentioned its 24hoursx7days.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
3. When moves to Canada, basically. - Is it a separate application altogether? or gets initiated when do a hard land? Like what is the process?
After you are both PRs, they are both individual apps for cards.

I think you shouldn't worry so much, most of the time they will do the card issuance if you have a mailing address in Canada. Figure taht out and your life will be easier. And get a SIN number as soon as you can too.

Joe110

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
After you are both PRs, they are both individual apps for cards.

I think you shouldn't worry so much, most of the time they will do the card issuance if you have a mailing address in Canada. Figure taht out and your life will be easier. And get a SIN number as soon as you can too.
- I do have a mailing address in Canada of my friend, and if I provide that it should be good, right?

Also, which app is there for cards??

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
- I do have a mailing address in Canada of my friend, and if I provide that it should be good, right?

Also, which app is there for cards??
Yes, although better to not just present it as mailing address but address where you will be staying for some time.

Card app should be done by processing officer at border. If you don't get the card and have to apply later, internet search for apply for PR card.

robopablo

Jul 26, 2019
The guy processing me said they'd mail to the US... THEY WILL NOT! I gave them an address of a friend in BC and they sent it there and they UPS'd it to me.

Gz.sp

Nov 13, 2021
Hi guys,

I am in this situation - outside Canada with no PR card. Recent landing (Jan 17th)

I am in Brazil, planning to flight to US and cross the border by private vehicle (my own car).
Some friends will drive from Winnipeg to Grand Forks (North Dakota) with my car and I will cross driving it, bringing with me a bunch of docs to prove Permanent Residence, as:

- Official CoPR letter (Landed in January 17th 2023)
- RBC Credit Card, VOID and bank statement in my name
- My Residency renting contract in WInnipeg
- Internet bill in my name at the address
- Proof of my kids in the school in Winnipeg
- PR card of my kids (their PR card arrived last week, mine still not)
- Proof of SIN Number
- and more..

What do you think? Any visible problems?
I am very confident, but never knows...

Tks in advance

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

I am in this situation - outside Canada with no PR card. Recent landing (Jan 17th)

I am in Brazil, planning to flight to US and cross the border by private vehicle (my own car).
Some friends will drive from Winnipeg to Grand Forks (North Dakota) with my car and I will cross driving it, bringing with me a bunch of docs to prove Permanent Residence, as:

- Official CoPR letter (Landed in January 17th 2023)
- RBC Credit Card, VOID and bank statement in my name
- My Residency renting contract in WInnipeg
- Internet bill in my name at the address
- Proof of my kids in the school in Winnipeg
- PR card of my kids (their PR card arrived last week, mine still not)
- Proof of SIN Number
- and more..

What do you think? Any visible problems?
I am very confident, but never knows...

Tks in advance
No problem.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@armoured -

1. Once you land as a PR, you ARE a PR...with or without a PR Card.

Reactions: irinaaas11

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
HI there, I am currently living in Vancouver already and got my PR approved on Feb 7th, 2023. However seems like IRCC sent the PR card to a wrong address and I had to send them a solemn declaration of never receiving the card. My question is, Can I now travel to US via car using a valid passport and COPR along with local heath card as a proof without any issues?

saiGaz

Star Member
May 29, 2020
HI there, I am currently living in Vancouver already and got my PR approved on Feb 7th, 2023. However seems like IRCC sent the PR card to a wrong address and I had to send them a solemn declaration of never receiving the card. My question is, Can I now travel to US via car using a valid passport and COPR along with local heath card as a proof without any issues?
Yes,

please look at my comment above. I traveled to Seattle via Vancouver.

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Yes,

please look at my comment above. I traveled to Seattle via Vancouver.
nice.. yess so just passport + ecopr that I have signed along with a provincial card should be enough .. nothing much is asked at the border control right? :)

saiGaz

Star Member
May 29, 2020
nice.. yess so just passport + ecopr that I have signed along with a provincial card should be enough .. nothing much is asked at the border control right? :)
Yea he didn’t ask anything.
Note - Tomorrow I’m going to US again, but this time I’m traveling in my own car (previously it was rental) from Toronto. Hopefully on Saturday I won’t be facing any issues coming back.