+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enough survival jobs in Toronto & GTA

MasterBlaster

Sep 30, 2012
Try doing volunteering in your area of interest, rather than landing in a survival job, which will not do any good with the "Canadian experience". Despite my mid to senior management experience, spanning over 9 years in Strategic HR Operations, combined with working at top Dubai based multinationals, I had to volunteer for 6 full months in Toronto before getting into my first full-time job. It was very difficult for me to digest such a thing as volunteering when I first landed. But that's how the system works here. 90% of the Canadian employers look for candidates who can be culturally fit for their organization. And it's very important how you convince them on that!!!

Ultimately...its all about landing on "your" job rather than just "a" job!!

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
The main problem is CoOp courses are divided in 2 parts. 1st 7 weeks teaches you about job searching, resume preparation, interview techniques.
for a lot of immigrants its just takes no more than 2-3 weeks to learn these things and it gets so annoying for them to attend the classes as if they are kids in a school. the later half of the CoOp is pretty interesting: working in a field of your study/skills.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vidya said:
Jnathan Pagla boy,
You are time and again writing posts showing the negative side of life in Canada. I will recommend u to get a short treatment from a psycho doc which will surely benefit u in the long run since u r just 27 yrs old kid.
Sitting and advising will gain u nothing. :p
All the people are free to make their decisions so if u do not like the place stay away and look for something that suits ur mind frame. ::) :-\
Pagla sudha.............
I guess life would be some what disinteresting if people with negative mind or no mind would not have been there. Co op placement can get job in one's own filed, so what if it is unpaid and stretches to 2-3 months. To get a job one may undertakes courses streching years and pay fee in $1000's, so what some one new to Canada joins Co op to gain some Canadian exp, which can help in getting a job.
This person will never understand it and I dont want that he should understand also. He can post anything and anywhere. I hope one day he creates his own topic and write his cr ap over there. So there is only one place where his crap can be found and i dont have to click on that topic.
I can well imagine about this person, we are pretty lucky that he is just a member here, imagine the pain of people who work with him or who share a place with him. Good luck to those unlucky people.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
1. Are their Enough number of jobs available in the economy to facilitate both the graduates of Canada and Skilled immigrants coming from outside?
2. is there any concrete data about what percentage of Government Funded CoOp finishers are actually hired? Do we have any member within this forum who are among them?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
jnathan said:
1. Are their Enough number of jobs available in the economy to facilitate both the graduates of Canada and Skilled immigrants coming from outside?
2. is there any concrete data about what percentage of Government Funded CoOp finishers are actually hired? (3)Do we have any member within this forum who are among them?
(3) 22... There r 22 ppl those I know personally who r employed after completing their Co-Op placements. And 7 out of them r in this forum (mostly from my 'Dubai' thread.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010

Be part of our unique
approach to retail.

We're building our Store Team and we can't wait to hear from talented people
who want to be part of our new, exciting retail experience. If you're looking for
a fun, collaborative, friendly workplace with flexible hours and opportunities to
grow, you'll fit right in. Discover our in-store positions including Sales Floor,
Cashier and much more...

Now hiring: Team Members
Apply today at target.ca/careers OR visit our career fair:

Brampton Shoppers World
Dec 17th to 20th, 11am - 4pm

Holiday Inn Brampton Conference Centre
30 Peel Centre Dr, Brampton, ON - L6T 4G3

Join our team. Expect the best.
target.ca/careers
________________________________________________________________________________
*Advert at The Brampton Guardian, Wed, Dec 12, 2012

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jnathan said:
2. is there any concrete data about what percentage of Government Funded CoOp finishers are actually hired? Do we have any member within this forum who are among them?
1. Personally I have taken about 20 new immigrants to join Co Op and except for 2, remaining got job in their own field. Like Qorax said apart from these numbers , I also know about 40 new immigrants who got job after co op. Some of them were hired by the people / companies they went for Co Op placement.
2. The new immigrants to whom i refered for Co Op gave me feed back of hiring of large number after Co Op.
3. Am I trying to convince you, answer is NO. Is is just for the eyes of other members.

What I would recommed to members, try to find job after landing. If you find it difficult, do not wait for ever. Join Co Op and there is good chance of getting a job.

Gorsi 116

Sep 12, 2010
Lahore
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11- 2009
Doc's Request.
01-12-2010
AOR Received.
18-08-2010
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
22-02-2012
Med's Done....
15-05-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
No
LANDED..........
No
qorax said:
(3) 22... There r 22 ppl those I know personally who r employed after completing their Co-Op placements. And 7 out of them r in this forum (mostly from my 'Dubai' thread.

Qorax
Good reply, Captain. Your info about coop is very helpful. Keep us posted as always.

Gorsi 116

Sep 12, 2010
Lahore
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11- 2009
Doc's Request.
01-12-2010
AOR Received.
18-08-2010
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
22-02-2012
Med's Done....
15-05-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
No
LANDED..........
No
explorer101 said:
1. Personally I have taken about 20 new immigrants to join Co Op and except for 2, remaining got job in their own field. Like Qorax said apart from these numbers , I also know about 40 new immigrants who got job after co op. Some of them were hired by the people / companies they went for Co Op placement.
2. The new immigrants to whom i refered for Co Op gave me feed back of hiring of large number after Co Op.
3. Am I trying to convince you, answer is NO. Is is just for the eyes of other members.

What I would recommed to members, try to find job after landing. If you find it difficult, do not wait for ever. Join Co Op and there is good chance of getting a job.
Very encouraging post. Thank you.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asalam_ju said:
What kind of survival job available in GTA and Ottawa?
I would say mostly packing jobs and there my be requirement of lifting some load also. Security guard job can also be said to be a survival job. Working at gas station, flee market, driving cab etc can be also a choice.

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Hi,
I am looking for a job in Toronto. Already doing job in warehouse but wanna switch in the field of Marketing/Sales or Administration. If anyone living in Toronto can help me out.

Regards!

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
explorer101 said:
I would say mostly packing jobs and there my be requirement of lifting some load also. Security guard job can also be said to be a survival job. Working at gas station, flee market, driving cab etc can be also a choice.
Explorer, kindly elaborate more about Co op placement. My field is Marketing & I wanna continue in this field. I have searched a job in Target but could find one. Thanks in advance...

Torpunjabdi

Star Member
May 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02- 2010
Doc's Request.
12-03-2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR 12-03-2010/2nd AOR 25 july 2010
IELTS Request
Submitted already
File Transfer...
30-03-2010
Med's Request
25-6-2012
Med's Done....
30-6-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-6-2012
VISA ISSUED...
22-1-13 got pps 1-02-2013
LANDED..........
22-03-2013
Dear Explorer and qorax,
I need your help in understanding CO-OP, and in need of some kind of survival job , i am currently in North York Area, landed 5 days back, completed most of my paper work, now need your help for further action,please help.
TPD