+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English experience but not native languange

Caloy

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Hi All,

Correct me if I'm wrong. Based on my understanding, it is said that for proof of english proficiency is either ielts or written explanation. That, written explanation is applicable if first official language is english or french. Therefore, although I'm not an native english speaker but have this as my second languange in my country I can still prove my profieciency through diplomas, trainings, right? plus ofcourse the written explanation that I will be doing. Having said that I'm working now in Australia which english is the official language and lived here for 3 years. Plus studied in school wherein english is medium of teaching.
My question would be, was that worth notto do ielts and just do the written explanation?

hao8165

Feb 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2009
Doc's Request.
03-09-2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
13-10-2009
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
11-05-2010
Med's Request
08-09-2010
Med's Done....
23-09-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2010 (In person)
It's still better to take the IELTS...Only the IELTS score is solid proof of your language ability.

Gregor

Star Member
May 28, 2009
Everyone has to prove their language proficiency either by IELTS or written explanation; it is your call if you want to try proving your skills by written explanation or by IELTS, in case of written explanation you're leaving it to the emigration officer as what points to grant you. So if you're not native it is advised to take IELTS test, but it is not obligatory and you can still try to prove you proficiency by letter.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Gregor

char_bonel

Aug 18, 2009
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-08-09
Doc's Request.
7-10-09
AOR Received.
28-1-2010
File Transfer...
15-1-2010
Med's Request
3-2-2010
Med's Done....
3-26-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
30-06-2010
LANDED..........
21-07-2010
if i were you, i will not take second chances.if english is not ur first language, take ielts.if uve been using it as medium, ull not be having difficult time passing it.all u need is proof that u can skillfully use the language.
goodluck!!

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
If you believed that your English is excellent, give it a try to submit a written explanation about it, there's no harm in trying. CIC will evaluate and will decide whether or not you still need to take an IELTS.

When I applied as FSW I didn't take IELTS immediately. I tried submitting an written explanation and lo and behold I was still requested by CIC to take an IELTS. I still feel good about it because if I haven't tried, I wouldn't know what will happened.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It seems that your English is pretty good so you probably could score pretty high on IELTS if you had to and so it becomes a question of how many points you need. If you must score 16, you might not want to gamble with it while if you need only 8, it's a different matter. It's your call.

CIC recommends you take the IELTS before you apply unless English is your first language. This is because sometimes people are not the best judges of their own English proficiency. We see people here all the time with atrocious English trying to convince themselves and others that their English is really good and that they really don't need to take IELTS and can get by with a written explanation.
If their written explanation is very bad, the IO may give them 0 points for English. If it's not that bad but not enough to convince the IO to give them the points they asked for, they can ask them to take IELTS. What then happens is that they fail to score the points they thought they'd have, end up with less than 67 total, don't have time anymore to study and take another IELTS and lose their application.