+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Reference letter - no letterhead

pplupo

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
OK, guys, lots of people have been asking me how I did and what happened.
I had a company letterhead document with lots of info, but unfortunately, not everything that CIC required.
I asked my ex-boss to provide me with a letter (plain, no letterhead) replicating the *EXACT SAME* information that I had on the company letterhead (just the items CIC cares about, not the rest) and add to this letter the missing information from the items that CIC required. The provided me with this letter already in English. I had it notarized. I attached his business card to it as proof that he actually works at that company. The business card was in both Portuguese in English, so I didn't have to translate anything.

Summary:
  • Company letterhead covering some of the items CIC requires plus other info that CIC doesn't care about, translated to English (certified translator).
  • A plain document from former superior repeating the same items that CIC requires from the company letterhead plus the missing information that CIC asks for, in English, signed and notarized.
  • Business card from former superior, in English.

I had no questions about my documents. Everything was approved.

vgind

Nov 2, 2018
Hi All,

I got employment reference letter from the HR of my company which has all the required details per the CIC requirements. But it mentions that the letter is solely for the purpose of Study. They have denied giving same letter for immigration purpose. Can I still use the letter along with the denial email? And get the same job/ duties confirmed by one of my colleague ?

balaji.s

Jan 31, 2018
OK, guys, lots of people have been asking me how I did and what happened.
I had a company letterhead document with lots of info, but unfortunately, not everything that CIC required.
I asked my ex-boss to provide me with a letter (plain, no letterhead) replicating the *EXACT SAME* information that I had on the company letterhead (just the items CIC cares about, not the rest) and add to this letter the missing information from the items that CIC required. The provided me with this letter already in English. I had it notarized. I attached his business card to it as proof that he actually works at that company. The business card was in both Portuguese in English, so I didn't have to translate anything.

Summary:
  • Company letterhead covering some of the items CIC requires plus other info that CIC doesn't care about, translated to English (certified translator).
  • A plain document from former superior repeating the same items that CIC requires from the company letterhead plus the missing information that CIC asks for, in English, signed and notarized.
  • Business card from former superior, in English.

I had no questions about my documents. Everything was approved.
Great congrats. I have a query, did you provide any e-mail from your company stating that, according to company policy they wont be providing all the required information in a document with company letterhead?

Heshamsoliman

Nov 22, 2015
I have a work letter from my previous company on a letterhead that only includes logo and address, no email or contact details, which are also not included in the content of the letter. I don't have business card of the person who signed, but I have an email from him sent to me with his contact details in the email signature. Would that be sufficient? I do have payslips for the whole period though

Last edited:

Heshamsoliman

Nov 22, 2015
Hi folks!

I just got reference letter from my current employer today on company letterhead. On letterhead the company address and phone number is mentioned but email address is not mentioned but under CIC reference letter guidelines I read that it should have phone number and email address.

So do you think it would cause any problem or would be okay to proceed with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you manage to get an answer... I have a similar issue...

I have a work letter from my previous company on a letterhead that only includes logo and address, no email or contact details, which are also not included in the content of the letter. I don't have business card of the person who signed, but I have an email from him sent to me with his contact details in the email signature. Would that be sufficient? I do have payslips for the whole period though

Wedding Crasher

Jan 29, 2018
I believe y'all are discussing the reference letter related to express entry. Anyone has any idea or experience if they also accept it in PNP?