+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emergency travel to country of citizenship

Losa

Nov 7, 2017
My sister is in the hospital in severe therapy in Mexico. My mom wants to go to Mexico to see her but she is a canadian Refugee and a permanent resident how can she travel to her country of birth for an emergency?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
There is certainly a risk if she travels home. Not necessarily immediately upon return, but at a later date when/ if she applies for renewal or citizenship. As a refugee, she really shouldn’t be travelling back to her home country. Some good information and advice can be found in this thread. I suggest you and your mother take the time to read through it.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/page-12

Similarly, there is the Balouch decision, involving two trips to the home country some three years apart, one to visit a grandmother and during which the PR also had surgery, thus staying six months, and the other, more recent trip, was for 34 days to visit an ill uncle (undergoing chemotherapy) and also to get plastic surgery. Her status was deemed ceased. Justice Heneghan upheld this decision.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My sister is in the hospital in severe therapy in Mexico. My mom wants to go to Mexico to see her but she is a canadian Refugee and a permanent resident how can she travel to her country of birth for an emergency?
The short answer is that if you mother was the primary applicant, traveling back for any reason puts her at significant risk for losing her status in Canada and being sent back to her home country. So that's the risk she needs to consider if she decides to travel home.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
As mentioned, no matter the severity of the urgency there will be the possibility her PR status could be revoked after returning to Canada, or later when applying for citizenship. Unfortunately even the most dire of emergencies, does not waive this risk.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is the problem. The core of your request for asylum was, that you did not feel safe in your country and they have failed to protect you. With that said, by returning back to your country for whatever reason (regardless if you got cheap scholarship, found a cheaper medical care or if your mother was on a deathbed and your siblings were begging on the streets) is just showing that you do not feel that your life is threatened there, hence you do not need protection of Canada anymore.

What you want to do can easily lead (and most likely will) in the revocation of your PR status (when you will request for citizenship).

Refugee status is a one way road without much possibility to return.
Only if you reject your previous citizenship (after receiving another one), you would be able to do it.
Or if the situation that lead you to take the refuge had changed. But again, that could cost you PR, since refuge and asylum claim were supposed to be a temporary solution (like waiting for war to end or for the regime to be overthrown).