+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

rbrar14

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
barabashka said:
Yet again - same timeline as many of us. I suspect there are no people around here already who applied in Feb-March 2015 and got their SR emails in May-June and are still waiting? (correct me if I am wrong).
It looks like we (April 2015 applicants) are stuck a bit due to (maybe) summer holidays...The good news is that it seems like we are next in turn...
You are absolutely right. my application received by cic july 1 2015. sent them correspondence of coloured passport in dec 2015. since then, no response.

bahaar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-09-2010
BcBB said:
I submitted a PR renewal in April 2015 for myself and my two kids. Advised in July 2015 my application was going for a secondary review and since that date, not a single word from CIC to even inform me about what info they are missing or what they are having a problem with. I have kept full records and sent them copies of boarding cards etc to speed things up to no avail.
I have completed my days in country, I own a house here, my kids go to school here, I haven't committed any crime and I have managed to sponsor my husband for a PR card while I am still under review. He now has his PR card and i don't, even though I sponsored him!
I have engaged an immigration lawyer to look into the process, I have obtained all my records under the freedom of info act to see what the issue is and as far as I can see there is no problem. I have called the CIC helpline and they cannot help me as my case is under review. I cannot gain access to the online application query, as the system says my UCI and case number do not exist with a list of possible reasons why this might be the case (none apply to my situation).
My immigration lawyer said there is nothing he can do so I went to see my local MP. She cannot even do anything other than give me an application for a PR travel document in case I have a holiday booked in the future.
I haven't been able to travel anywhere since last April because it just seemed like too much hassle to drive over the border to do my shopping and then fill out loads of forms etc. I feel totally trapped and I am seriously worried that they have lost all my paperwork.
I applied in August 13 2015(3 months before my PR expires and right after I fulfilled my RO)
Got a secondary review in January 2016
Nothing since then.
Requested my file 2 times through ATIP (access to information), first time in January and second time in June. In both cases nothing was in file except my primarily information. So I know that my file is not lost but absolutely nothing is done on my file since January. And same as you I cannot gain access to the online application query, as the system says my UCI and case number do not exist with a list of possible reasons why this might be the case (none apply to my situation). so here I am still waiting...

I am not in a hurry but I defiantly feel trapped by the government. I needed to travel on April and I done what they advise us to do which is applying for a travel document. It was a total disaster (requires another post). I only needed to be outside Canada for 5 days but issuing the travel document took 6 weeks and I was in threshold of losing my job in Toronto and everything that I work for so hard to achieve in Canada. Right now I am in Canada and planning to travel for few days in December but I don’t know how that is possible! I cannot stay outside Canada 2 month every time I travel for a travel document!

BcBB

Jul 30, 2016
I think we are all in the same situation, and what I am becoming upset about is that nobody at CIC or the federal immigration dept seems to care. My MP's case worker was just sent a standard generic email stating that I can apply for a PR travel document and that I need to give them at least 6 weeks notice with a copy of all my tickets. It's just not acceptable that they can delay reissuing our cards by over a year, and then not even communicate with us about when it's likely to be issued or even inform us what the problem is with our applications. How can it be fair to leave people in this situation where we cannot even travel to the USA on a whim to do some shopping, not alone if we have to leave the country with work last minute or to visit relatives who are sick!
Please share if anyone finally receives their cards, it might give some hope to the rest of us.....

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
BcBB said:
How can it be fair to leave people in this situation where we cannot even travel to the USA on a whim to do some shopping, . . .
If you are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, the lack of a valid PR card does not restrict your capacity to return to Canada after a trip to the States to shop (assuming travel by private vehicle). A PR is entitled to enter Canada. Just need to establish identity and status at border (passport plus CoPR will suffice).

And for a longer trip abroad, again the PR in compliance with the PR RO should be able to obtain a PR Travel Document for the purpose of returning to Canada. Yes, this can be more difficult and inconvenient depending on destination abroad and duration of the trip, but part of why IRCC does not give these applications a high priority is because there is no requirement to have a valid card and IRCC considers the PR TD to be an adequate alternative for returning to Canada.

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
I'm in the same boat, 10 months of waiting and still nothing. Provided every document of proof and they haven't asked for anything so don't understand the excessive delay. Even that you know you fulfill the requirements, the long processing makes you weary. Some have suggested the PRTD, but that doesn't really help especially if you go to a country that doesn't have a Canadian Embassy.

Another thing, can we apply for citizenship if our PR card is in secondary review? Reading the requirements for citizenship, it says, the immigration status should not be under review.

You must have permanent resident (PR) status in Canada, have no unfulfilled conditions related to that status, and your PR status must not be in question. This means you must not:

be under review for immigration or fraud reasons, or

clfh

Feb 23, 2016
Dear all,

After 24 months waiting, my husband pick up his new card from the local IRCC office today. ;D

BcBB

Jul 30, 2016
Received an email response to my query basically saying 90 days was an approx time and that there is no maximum timeframe.
You cannot apply for citizenship while under review and I cannot apply for an eta to return to Canada from the UK as I am a PR. I can see that I might just have to leave the country and head to the Canadian Embassy in London for returning documentation. London is hours away from my family and it's going to cost a fortune to get there on the train. I cannot board the flight to come back without a PR card or an ETA as a British citizen if I have read the documents correctly, please correct me if I am wrong.
24 months.......

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
BcBB said:
Received an email response to my query basically saying 90 days was an approx time and that there is no maximum timeframe.
You cannot apply for citizenship while under review and I cannot apply for an eta to return to Canada from the UK as I am a PR. I can see that I might just have to leave the country and head to the Canadian Embassy in London for returning documentation. London is hours away from my family and it's going to cost a fortune to get there on the train. I cannot board the flight to come back without a PR card or an ETA as a British citizen if I have read the documents correctly, please correct me if I am wrong.
24 months.......
I think if someone is in canada and he completed the requirements to be a citizen even his pr renewal is under secondary review he can apply for citizenship.

elie72

Sep 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 Aug 2007
Doc's Request.
17 Aug 2009
AOR Received.
13 Aug 2007
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
08 April 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05 October 2011
LANDED..........
23 December 2011
heeradeepak said:
I think if someone is in canada and he completed the requirements to be a citizen even his pr renewal is under secondary review he can apply for citizenship.
You are right. A friend of mine whose PR card renewal was under secondary review applied for citizenship and got his passport as well.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
elie72 said:
You are right. A friend of mine whose PR card renewal was under secondary review applied for citizenship and got his passport as well.
My self also PR renewal application is under secondary review and in june i applied for citizenship and ecas for my citizenship is showing in process after that God knows what will happen.

elie72

Sep 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 Aug 2007
Doc's Request.
17 Aug 2009
AOR Received.
13 Aug 2007
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
08 April 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05 October 2011
LANDED..........
23 December 2011
heeradeepak said:
My self also PR renewal application is under secondary review and in june i applied for citizenship and ecas for my citizenship is showing in process after that God knows what will happen.
Hopefully, everything will go well and in a couple of months, you will get test scheduled. Good Luck!

ezlib

Jul 20, 2015
Dear Friends

My application has been in secondary review for 14 months now. I checked ecas daily since last week - today it changed to "complete". It says that my card was mailed 29/07/2016. I have not received it in the mail yet. Will keep you posted. Here is my timeline:

Application received: 2 April 2015
Started processing: 3 June 2015
Sent email on 3 June - secondary review
No other documents requested
Card was mailed 29/07/2016
Ecas showed complete 04/08/2016

I suspect that most others waiting since June 2015 will probably be processed now - as some of our other friends had posted 14 months in secondary review. Mine took exactly 14 months from secondary review to show complete. I did not leave Canada and was not in breach of my RO.

Will keep you posted - good luck to all!

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
ezlib said:
Dear Friends

My application has been in secondary review for 14 months now. I checked ecas daily since last week - today it changed to "complete". It says that my card was mailed 29/07/2016. I have not received it in the mail yet. Will keep you posted. Here is my timeline:

Application received: 2 April 2015
Started processing: 3 June 2015
Sent email on 3 June - secondary review
No other documents requested
Card was mailed 29/07/2016
Ecas showed complete 04/08/2016

I suspect that most others waiting since June 2015 will probably be processed now - as some of our other friends had posted 14 months in secondary review. Mine took exactly 14 months from secondary review to show complete. I did not leave Canada and was not in breach of my RO.

Will keep you posted - good luck to all!
Congratulations.

For secondary review applicants few months back 10-12 months were noticed in this forum then reach to 12-14 months now in your case is 17-18 months. one case in this page is 24 months also. Good progress by CIC to deal with backlog as they promise.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
heeradeepak said:
Congratulations.

For secondary review applicants few months back 10-12 months were noticed in this forum then reach to 12-14 months now in your case is 17-18 months. one case in this page is 24 months also. Good progress by CIC to deal with backlog as they promise.
Have any of you emailed the minister about "long processing time under liberals" subject? NOT about your own case because then they will just tell talk to your MP.

I just want that all on this thread send similar email to Minister McCallum and Prime minister to tell that processing times for "Secondary reviews" are horrible and doesn't not comply with Liberal promises during election.

Don't ask about your own case file as then it just goes to garbage as is the application. Tell the general feeling about processing times being long for "Secondary Reviews" to Renew PR card.