+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Pr renewal time came down from 190 days to 93 days so why waiting time for secondary review is going up more and more?

Now secondary review applications are taking approx 14 months and above and CIC is not doing any efforts to reduce this time.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
dpenabill said:
I concur in many of the observations by cyt0plas but do not suggest relinquishing PR status just because one is not satisfied with processing time lines. And indeed, it is clear that the government has failed to provide timely service for many and often.

Some secondary review is probably due to random quality control checks. But the majority of those bogged down tend to be PRs with extensive absences or other circumstances in which the government perceives issues. The fact that the PR affected does not recognize what issue there is in his or her particular case does not mean there is no reason for the additional scrutiny. Odds are there is a reason. Those who understand this tend to better respond and figure out how to navigate the system.

To be clear: a better understanding of the system, and how it works, tends to help one better navigate the system. Notwithstanding the pervasive denigrating of IRCC as if it fails to function at all, and despite its being an enormous bureaucracy with a client base disproportionately huge given Canada's population, it does work most of the time for the vast majority of its clients. When it doesn't work, and yes there are too many instances when it does not work well, most PRs will find some approaches work better than others in their effort to get things on track.

Contrary to some of the noise, the latter is actually the more important role discussions here have.

To the contrary, many of the posts in this topic specifically ask questions about what is happening, why it is happening, and what recourse is there. That is a large part of what this forum, and this topic in particular, is about: navigating the way forward given this or that bump in the road.

And indeed, my post was in large part triggered by multiple recent queries about what to do when the PR card is expired, the replacement card application is bogged down in secondary review, and one has a pressing need to travel abroad. And, in particular, what happens if one requests urgent processing in this situation.

Sure, many here complain. Some venting is good. But more than a few only complain, and do so persistently, a constant background hum. Some, in particular, are intentionally offensive and overtly disruptive. "Robots" repeatedly posting the same old tirades for example. That is, there is a lot of noise. That's typical of online forum discussions.

As for how to deal with the expired card, stuck in secondary review, and faced with a pressing need to travel dilemma, as I previously posted:

In any event: Those PRs with a PR card replacement application in secondary review can nonetheless travel abroad without restriction (none imposed by Canada), and so long as they can prove admissibility (including compliance with the PR RO), they will able to obtain a PR TD for their return flight to Canada.

Yes, they can request urgent processing. Such requests may indeed result in accelerating the time line. Generally, though, it appears the odds of this are not good, so most PRs in this situation really need to figure out whether they have the requisite proof of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and can otherwise be prepared to obtain a PR TD for the return flight to Canada, or the better choice for them to make is to not travel until they obtain a new PR card.

But the choice is the PR's. That is, Canada does not restrict a PR's capacity to travel abroad.

-------------

In any event, no I am not employed in and never have worked in any capacity related to immigration anywhere.

I let my PR card expire while my application for citizenship was still in process. I became a Canadian citizen two years ago.

But I have studied and closely followed certain aspects of preserving PR status and becoming a citizen for many years, and I continue to do so. I try to offer what I hope is some positive information of aid to legitimate PRs trying to navigate their way through a difficult patch on the immigrant's path. For what it's worth.
Dpenabill what is Client Service Unit?

Today my request of case specific enquiry CIC replied as follows.

purpose of this letter, referring to your application for your Permanent Resident Card, is to advise you that a preliminary review of your application has been completed. Your file has now been referred to our Client Service Unit for review. This review will result in an additional delay.

First time i came to know about CIC Client Service Unit what does it means? Do they are sending our applications to third party for evaluation or this is another division of CIC to create backlog.

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please see this Operational Bulletin from CIC - It has the clear steps how the CIC processes PR applicaitons

Operational Bulletin 536 – July 30, 2013
Residency Determination Processing for Applicants Outside of Canada Referred by the Sydney Case Processing Centre’s Permanent Resident Card Centre
Summary

The purpose of this Operational Bulletin (OB) is to provide instructions to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officers on how to process Permanent Resident (PR) Determinations referred by the Sydney Case Processing Centre’s Permanent Resident Card Centre (PRCC Sydney) when the applicant is outside of Canada. This OB also serves as a reminder for CIC offices that they are required to make a residency determination, whether positive or negative, on all applications before returning them to PRCC Sydney, unless the application is abandoned or the applicant is granted Canadian citizenship.

Background

Permanent resident card (PR card) issuance is a multi-step process. For new PRs, once the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) form is completed at the Port of Entry or at a CIC office, a copy of the CoPR with the photo is sent to PRCC Sydney for quality assurance and scanning. Once complete, these Phase I cards are mailed directly to clients by the Canadian Bank Note Company.

Applications for Phase II PR cards are also sent to PRCC Sydney where they are reviewed for completeness and for compliance with residency requirements. Straightforward PR card applications are approved by PRCC Sydney and 5-year PR cards are issued. When it is known that an applicant is outside of Canada, the PR card is sent to a CIC office for in-person collection. A random selection (10%) of Phase II cards is also sent to CIC offices for in-person collection for quality assurance purposes.

More complex PR card applications, such as those linked to large scale residency investigations, are referred to local CIC offices for investigation and residency determination or to the PRCC Sydney Client Service Unit for a second-level review.

Procedures

When a local CIC office receives a referral from PRCC Sydney, the application is assessed to determine whether additional information is required. When there is insufficient information, applicants are required to complete the Questionnaire: Determination of Permanent Residency Status [IMM 5511], a supplementary absences form, as well as submit any additional supporting documents.

Following receipt of the additional information, if the CIC office becomes aware that the applicant is outside of Canada and the officer recommends a positive residency determination based on a paper review of the documents, the CIC agent can proceed as usual and advise the PRCC Sydney of the decision. The CIC agent must also remember to include advice for PRC-Sydney to direct the PR card to be picked up in person at a CIC office.

However, if a residency determination cannot be made based on the information at hand and the CIC agent is aware that the applicant is outside of Canada, the applicant should be directed to apply for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad), also referred to as a PRTD, at the nearest Canadian visa office and to forward a copy of the PRTD to the CIC office once obtained. Communications with the applicant should be sent to their last known address in Canada. As per standard procedure, the application must be set aside for the 180 day compliance period. If the applicant enters Canada without first obtaining a PRTD, they are advised to contact the local CIC office in order to schedule an interview to assess whether the applicant meets the residency obligation.

After the CIC office obtains the PRTD, or following a check in the applicant’s file to see whether an application for a PRTD has been finalized, the CIC agent can complete its assessment. If there is a positive residency determination overseas, the CIC agent should approve the referral and return the application to PRC-Sydney for the issuance of a 5-year validity card. However, if there is a discrepancy between the information provided overseas and that provided to the CIC office, an interview should be scheduled to address the discrepancy before rendering a residency determination. In the end, if the CIC agent disagrees with the positive decision overseas, the permanent residency determination (PRD) screen in FOSS must be completed, as a new determination is being made.

If there is a negative residency determination overseas, the CIC agent should request evidence that the applicant has appealed the decision. If the applicant has appealed, the application should be returned to PRCC Sydney with advice to issue a 1-year validity card pursuant to R54(2). If there is evidence that the applicant waived the appeal rights overseas, or if the 60 day appeal period has passed and the applicant does not provide evidence that they have filed an appeal, the CIC agent can refuse the PR card application on the grounds that the applicant has lost PR status pursuant to A46(1)(b).

In these cases, only a Non-Computer Based (NCB) entry, specifically NCB Type 12 – General Information, needs to be entered into FOSS, as the PRD screen will have already been completed by the overseas visa office. In the NCB, the following text can be used: “Loss of PR status as negative PRD overseas is a final determination in accordance with A46(1)(b).” Additional notes can be added in the Work in Process (WIP) screen.

If the applicant does not apply for a PRTD but notifies the local CIC office that they have entered Canada within the 180 day compliance period, an interview should be scheduled and the CIC agent must pursue the residency determination following regular procedures.

Finally, if the applicant does not apply for a PRTD or provide notification to the CIC office that they are in Canada within the 180 day period, the CIC agent should declare the application abandoned. A notice must be sent to the applicant by regular mail advising that the application is deemed abandoned, and explaining that a new application and fee will be necessary should the applicant wish to receive a PR card in the future.

Quick Reference Table

How to process PR card applications when the applicant is outside of Canada and either does not have a PR card or has an expired PR card:

Type of PR Card Application Refer to Local CIC Office? Can residency determination be made based on paper review? Does applicant need to apply for a PRTD before making an inland residency determination? Residency Determination Overseas Issue 5-year or 1-year PR card? Mail or In-Person Collection?
Straightforward Phase II

(PR card application is complete and meets residency requirements)* No Yes, positive determination No
(Applicant may need to apply for a PRTD in order to return to Canada to pick up PR card) n/a 5-year card In-person collection at CIC Office
Complex Phase II

(PR card application requires further investigation as per triage criteria) Yes Yes, positive determination No
(Applicant may need to apply for a PRTD in order to return to Canada to pick up PR card) n/a 5-year card In-person collection at CIC Office
Yes No Yes Positive determination 5-year card In-person collection at CIC Office
Yes No Yes Negative determination Appeal: 1-year card In-person collection at CIC Office
No appeal: Refuse application n/a
Yes No Yes Applicant does not apply for a PRTD, but appears for interview in Canada 5-year card if positive, or 1-year card if negative In-person collection at CIC Office
Yes No Yes Applicant does not apply for a PRTD, nor appears in Canada within 180 days Deem application abandoned n/a
Reminder

When a PR card application is referred to a CIC office, a residency determination, either positive or negative, must be made before sending it back to PRCC Sydney, unless the application is abandoned, or the applicant is granted Canadian citizenship. Even applications that are resolved based on a positive residency determination overseas must have a residency decision completed to close the PRCC Sydney referral. Applications cannot be sent back to PRCC Sydney with a request to issue the PR card for in-person collection at the CIC with the intent of conducting the residency assessment when the client comes to collect the card.

On another note, when adding actions or remarks in the Work in Process (WIP) screen in FOSS, please ensure that everything is placed under the same line of business that was created by PRCC Sydney when referring the file. This will ensure that all information is found in the same place and additional lines of business are not created unnecessarily.

Apr 21, 2016
We have applied for PR renewal for my mom and here are dates

We applied for rush request due to pending travel plan

Applied January 28 2016
Process Started Feb 11 2016
Additional documents request :13 April 2016 ( requested colour copy of passport )
Secondary review : April 21st 2016

Not sure how long will it take - anyone who receive their PR please advise - I am expecting at list 4-6 more months from here after looking at all the response above

Odessa92

Apr 19, 2016
Question to Dpenabill or whoever from members can help :

I applied early march this year for PR renewal (urgent processing)after completing 750 days , was not aware that it is better to keep longer buffer until I was referred to secondary review whereas through reading this forum I understood that meeting barely the minimum RO will lead to application being sent for SR .I landed in 2011 and stayed around 50 days in the period between 2011 and 2013 ,then moved permanently in march 2014 and currently I have 730 continuous presence since .In my opinion that most probably the reason for SR was that my early 50 days are only documented through passport stamps (visits in which was trying to establish myself before the permanent move) , while the other 700 are well documented , I had a job , taxes , rentals, i.e regular life in Canada.
My question : Can I withdraw my application which is considered in process and make a new one which doesn't rely on the 50 days , would this one be considered a straight forward application or it will be the same since I have less than 900 days presence it will go no matter what to SR .and does withdrawal of an application is considered as black point.

Appreciate any usefull feedback.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
I applied for pr renewal cic received my application on oct 2015 .Started processing in Feb16 and sent letter that itsgoing for a secondary review. how much timeit would take to process. I applied after 850 days and never moved out of canada.what are the things they are checking during secondary review.

It seems applications with secondary review are not eligible for urgent processing.

nicklove128

Star Member
Dec 22, 2015
daisy178 said:
Good news!
My new card finally arrived on 2nd April 2016 by mail!
My time line:
Application received:18th, Feb,2015,
Secondary review email received: 2nd, April, 2015,
New card arrived by mail:2nd, April,2016.
It took exactly one year after secondary review.
I live in Canada for 750 days and left Canada after my application was received and I am still outside Canada now.
Hi, could you tell me if the new pr card is valid from the day when it's issued or from the day when it's applied? thank you!

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
I would liketo apply for urgent processing. In the case specific form

You require urgent processing of your renewal/replacement Permanent Resident card. To be eligible for urgent processing, you must:

provide proof of full payment that must show the date you paid, the amount you paid and how you paid.

provide proof of travel (itinerary or ticket) that must show the dates you are traveling, your personal information such as your full name, that you have a return ticket and your destination.

what does proof of full payment means what is it towards?.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
ramkris said:
I would liketo apply for urgent processing. In the case specific form

You require urgent processing of your renewal/replacement Permanent Resident card. To be eligible for urgent processing, you must:

provide proof of full payment that must show the date you paid, the amount you paid and how you paid.

provide proof of travel (itinerary or ticket) that must show the dates you are traveling, your personal information such as your full name, that you have a return ticket and your destination.

what does proof of full payment means what is it towards?
After payment online sites and travel agents both issued the receipts.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
Do you mean that was payment towards to and fro ticket?

heeradeepak said:
After payment online sites and travel agents both issued the receipts.

daisy178

May 21, 2015
nicklove128 said:
Hi, could you tell me if the new pr card is valid from the day when it's issued or from the day when it's applied? thank you!
My new cardwas issued on May,23rd,2016, and my application was made in Feb,2015.
New card shoud be valid from the day it was issued.

daisy178

May 21, 2015
ramkris said:
I applied for pr renewal cic received my application on oct 2015 .Started processing in Feb16 and sent letter that itsgoing for a secondary review. how much timeit would take to process. I applied after 850 days and never moved out of canada.what are the things they are checking during secondary review.

It seems applications with secondary review are not eligible for urgent processing.
My husband lived in Canada for 870 days when he applied in March,9,2015, and went to secondary review in April 23rd, 2015. He has not received his new card yet.
I received my new card exactly 1 year after secondary review.

QRY2016

Feb 3, 2016
Has anyone tried to submit a complain at the CIC (Submit your feedback)? I have my PR renewal in a secondary review status since July 2015.