+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
teko said:
If you believe that they know what they do, what would you answer me that some ppl getting their PR renewed without spending more than 5 month in their whole 5 years?
There are those that successfully cheat the system. Those people are why some applications get even more scrutiny. They are trying to catch the cheaters.

I believe this system should be redesigned and can be done easily by monitoring border movement more efficiently rather han giving ppl hard times when applying for PR renewal or citizenship and ask for time wasting stamps and other supportive documents
There is no way for them to effectively monitor the border. There are even ways to change one's name under judicial seal. Once that's done, you can change your passport over and "forget" to notify CIC. You will have a new passport, two different names, both completely valid, and completely separate. There are so many other ways to cheat the system, even without sneaking across the border.

If you want to keep PR status, it's up to you to prove you meet the requirements. It's not Canada's job to lock down the border even more to make your paperwork a little easier.

If the wait is longer than you'd like, you're welcome to relinquish Permanent Residency status. If there's anyone to blame, it's those that cheat the system. They make it harder for everyone else.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I concur in many of the observations by cyt0plas but do not suggest relinquishing PR status just because one is not satisfied with processing time lines. And indeed, it is clear that the government has failed to provide timely service for many and often.

Some secondary review is probably due to random quality control checks. But the majority of those bogged down tend to be PRs with extensive absences or other circumstances in which the government perceives issues. The fact that the PR affected does not recognize what issue there is in his or her particular case does not mean there is no reason for the additional scrutiny. Odds are there is a reason. Those who understand this tend to better respond and figure out how to navigate the system.

To be clear: a better understanding of the system, and how it works, tends to help one better navigate the system. Notwithstanding the pervasive denigrating of IRCC as if it fails to function at all, and despite its being an enormous bureaucracy with a client base disproportionately huge given Canada's population, it does work most of the time for the vast majority of its clients. When it doesn't work, and yes there are too many instances when it does not work well, most PRs will find some approaches work better than others in their effort to get things on track.

Contrary to some of the noise, the latter is actually the more important role discussions here have.

teko said:
We are not discussing here what is the immigration system and how it works.
To the contrary, many of the posts in this topic specifically ask questions about what is happening, why it is happening, and what recourse is there. That is a large part of what this forum, and this topic in particular, is about: navigating the way forward given this or that bump in the road.

And indeed, my post was in large part triggered by multiple recent queries about what to do when the PR card is expired, the replacement card application is bogged down in secondary review, and one has a pressing need to travel abroad. And, in particular, what happens if one requests urgent processing in this situation.

Sure, many here complain. Some venting is good. But more than a few only complain, and do so persistently, a constant background hum. Some, in particular, are intentionally offensive and overtly disruptive. "Robots" repeatedly posting the same old tirades for example. That is, there is a lot of noise. That's typical of online forum discussions.

As for how to deal with the expired card, stuck in secondary review, and faced with a pressing need to travel dilemma, as I previously posted:

In any event: Those PRs with a PR card replacement application in secondary review can nonetheless travel abroad without restriction (none imposed by Canada), and so long as they can prove admissibility (including compliance with the PR RO), they will able to obtain a PR TD for their return flight to Canada.

Yes, they can request urgent processing. Such requests may indeed result in accelerating the time line. Generally, though, it appears the odds of this are not good, so most PRs in this situation really need to figure out whether they have the requisite proof of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and can otherwise be prepared to obtain a PR TD for the return flight to Canada, or the better choice for them to make is to not travel until they obtain a new PR card.

But the choice is the PR's. That is, Canada does not restrict a PR's capacity to travel abroad.

-------------

In any event, no I am not employed in and never have worked in any capacity related to immigration anywhere.

I let my PR card expire while my application for citizenship was still in process. I became a Canadian citizen two years ago.

But I have studied and closely followed certain aspects of preserving PR status and becoming a citizen for many years, and I continue to do so. I try to offer what I hope is some positive information of aid to legitimate PRs trying to navigate their way through a difficult patch on the immigrant's path. For what it's worth.

AJK_9

Jun 30, 2012
harrycancal said:
Heeradeepak you said they sometimes take years !!!We need running PR card for many works. Could you tell me why they take years ??I have fulfilled permanent residents obligations of 730 days.

AJK 9 ....Do they issue travel document for returning too or it is one side from Canada??what if i do not get returning document.My wife and son did not get any secondary review but they did ask for color passport copies. we all have similar travel dates similar documents submitted but i have been put in secondary review.
If i travel with travel document will it effect my Renewal case?? Befor e getting secondary review i got a mail from cic a week earlier mentioning my application is sent to client service unit and i can request for fast processing if i want, i feel i did mistake for not contacting all center.
You don't need anything when you leave country, TD required only time you are returning to Canada, as per information available online it seems that they are taking max 2 weeks to process PRTD....if you are going to India, you can process through VFS...they are prompt in response as compared to CIC Robotics System....

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
harrycancal said:
Heeradeepak you said they sometimes take years !!!We need running PR card for many works. Could you tell me why they take years ??I have fulfilled permanent residents obligations of 730 days.
Yes this is true sometimes it take a year or more, i am waiting for my PR from 10 months, many applicants in this forum are waiting more than one year.

Now question why they take this much time answer is simple once file gone to secondary review no one will open the file for long period.

And for secondary review case to case could be different reasons, but mostly exit entry stamps in passports or long absence from Canada are the reasons.

Example in my case i have 1090 days physical presence from last 5 years a full time job, T4 last 4 years with good income, all documents i sent with application but still they through my application in secondary review the reasons is my passports full with visas and exit entry stamps.

harrycancal

Mar 22, 2016
Heeradeepak in my passport there are not many exit entry except one time travel to india and came back. I even got my moms death certificates from india , some guys are talking about cheating the system etc but in my case , i did send then hospital documents as well as doctors certificates of her critical illness , and the delay resulted in my moms death. Do they see cheating in this case too. what else i could prove ?? if they feel i am cheating than they can call hospitals and enquire!!
If i ask for travel documents will they give me for return too or i have to acquire from india??Will it effect my renewal procedure?? why the heck it is mentioned in CIC website that only physical presence of 730 days in Canada is required??
Dependbill your responses are too long and confusing, please advice the solution rather than deciding who should be renewed and who should not, it increases the anxiety.
I am not able to perform las rites of my mom some religious ceremonies to be performed by the son . is this system so cruel??

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
harrycancal said:
Heeradeepak in my passport there are not many exit entry except one time travel to india and came back. I even got my moms death certificates from india , some guys are talking about cheating the system etc but in my case , i did send then hospital documents as well as doctors certificates of her critical illness , and the delay resulted in my moms death. Do they see cheating in this case too. what else i could prove ?? if they feel i am cheating than they can call hospitals and enquire!!
If i ask for travel documents will they give me for return too or i have to acquire from india??Will it effect my renewal procedure?? why the heck it is mentioned in CIC website that only physical presence of 730 days in Canada is required??
Dependbill your responses are too long and confusing, please advice the solution rather than deciding who should be renewed and who should not, it increases the anxiety.
I am not able to perform las rites of my mom some religious ceremonies to be performed by the son . is this system so cruel??
PRTD you have to apply only from india they will not issue return documents from here you have to show them your physical presence proofs more then 730 days. It is easy step and taking only 2 weeks.

axelfoley

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
Thanks to your valuable advice I have read here about PR card renewal. However, I still have some uncertainty about the Travel History section of form IMM5444E for PR card renewal and would value any guidance.

1. On a few occasions, when I entered or left UAE, I did not get a passport entry or exit stamp from the UAE, as they were being lazy at the desk and said I did not need a stamp as I was resident there on a work visa, even though I asked for one. In these cases, is it sufficient to provide a printed copy of E-ticket and/or boarding pass that supports my claim for the date of exit or entry from that country in lieu of an actual stamp?

2. For some countries for example Turkey I will fly in and then spend a few days in Istanbul then a few other days in Ankara within Turkey. Can this be mentioned as cities visited within a single country e.g. "2014-06-01 2014-06-10 Turkey, Istanbul & Ankara" *without dates for each city*?

3. For night flights where I lose a day between the exit stamp and the next entry stamp, should I mention this as for example: "2015-12-01 2015-12-02 Lose a Day in Travel by Air" or similar?

4. Some of the stamps in my passports do not have all the digits (numbers) visible for the date due to lack of ink or a bad stamp. In such cases, do I need to provide a supplemental information in the form of e-tickets and/or boarding pass copies to permit CIC to verify the date of entry or exit independently?

Thanks for the benefit of your experience!

daisy178

May 21, 2015
Good news!
My new card finally arrived on 2nd April 2016 by mail!
My time line:
Application received:18th, Feb,2015,
Secondary review email received: 2nd, April, 2015,
New card arrived by mail:2nd, April,2016.
It took exactly one year after secondary review.
I live in Canada for 750 days and left Canada after my application was received and I am still outside Canada now.

Miro_Dida

Mar 28, 2016
daisy178 said:
Good news!
My time line:
I live in Canada for 750 days and left Canada after my application was received and I am still outside Canada now.
Thank you Daisy for the update. I almost have the same case as the below and I almost lost hope to be renewed :-[

We received your application for a permanent resident card on March 12, 2015.
We started processing your application on April 22, 2015.
We sent you correspondence on April 22, 2015.

I have a question : As you said you are currently outside canada as you left just after the application is received (I exactly in the same situation). How did you receive your renewed PR card ? Is it sent to a friend's address?

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
daisy178 said:
Good news!
My time line:
Congratulations daisy.

It means now secondary review wait time is about 14 months few months back it was one year.

daisy178

May 21, 2015
Miro_Dida said:
Thank you Daisy for the update. I almost have the same case as the below and I almost lost hope to be renewed :-[

We received your application for a permanent resident card on March 12, 2015.
We started processing your application on April 22, 2015.
We sent you correspondence on April 22, 2015.

I have a question : As you said you are currently outside canada as you left just after the application is received (I exactly in the same situation). How did you receive your renewed PR card ? Is it sent to a friend's address?
My family bought a house in Jan.2012 and my son has lived there since then. So the card was mailed to that address.

harshalp

Mar 22, 2016
Has any of you tried talking to the local MP to get him to look into your case and speed up the process? My Uncle's friend did that for his PR renewal (urgent processing-he had confirmation of tickets booked for India) and the MP's office got him his renewed PR in 2 weeks. I don't know whether his application was in Secondary Review or not. I have already booked tickets to go to India on 23rd April and my application is still IN PROCESS.
Timeline:
30 August 2015 - application received
23 Jan 2016 - started processing
27 Jan 2016 - Secondary Review

Would you guys recommend going to MP's office?

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
harshalp said:
Has any of you tried talking to the local MP to get him to look into your case and speed up the process? My Uncle's friend did that for his PR renewal (urgent processing-he had confirmation of tickets booked for India) and the MP's office got him his renewed PR in 2 weeks. I don't know whether his application was in Secondary Review or not. I have already booked tickets to go to India on 23rd April and my application is still IN PROCESS.
Timeline:

you can approach MP some time it does help but depend case to case for secondary review we notice in this forum time frame is approx 10-14 month.

CIC is accepting urgent processing with ticket and payment proof but travel date should be after 6 weeks of urgent processing request.

AJK_9

Jun 30, 2012
harshalp said:
Timeline:

Most probably for SR, it won't work, still you can try...All the best, waiting for last one year..