+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

Nasimj

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied for my PR renewal early March 2015. Got a letter in mail for secondary review by mid April. They didn't ask for any additional documents and every time I called I got the same vague answer. At the same time, I also applied for my citizenship and to cut the story short, I took my citizenship oath yesterday but my PR renewal status is still under process! lol
I don't really know what the logic or story is here. My plan is to call on Monday and just casually follow up on my PR status and see what they say!

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toronto_man said:
Lamma witch,

did u cross the border while your RQ and residence determination being assessed or after it was settled? Was it a RQ or pr card renewal or citizenship?

what did they ask at the border?
PR card renewal & RQ in process (I have no idea why they RQ'ed me, I largely exceeded the RO).

I took a copy of my PR card renewal application & RQ with me, it was neither required nor requested at the border, no specific questions asked other than "where have you been?/where do you live?/Any alcohol or cigarettes?".

abdulsamadd

Aug 31, 2015
I don't have a car, and renting one for 25 days just so it can sit at a lot until I return and can cross the border is pointless. I was thinking of applying for a travel document from within Canada as a second option of my PR card does not come by till then. Does any have any idea what the processing time for applying for travel document from within Canada is??

Thank you

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abdulsamadd said:
I don't have a car, and renting one for 25 days just so it can sit at a lot until I return and can cross the border is pointless. I was thinking of applying for a travel document from within Canada as a second option of my PR card does not come by till then. Does any have any idea what the processing time for applying for travel document from within Canada is??

Thank you
You can't apply for a PRTD within Canada.

ns_AB

Jan 5, 2015
:) :) :)
Finally after 13 months, on-line status updated. PR Card sent by mail on Monday, September 14, 2015. Hope to receive it in mail soon.

Such a torture and harrassment........
All the best guys.......

Canvan003

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
ns_AB said:
:) :) :)
Finally after 13 months, on-line status updated. PR Card sent by mail on Monday, September 14, 2015. Hope to receive it in mail soon.

Such a torture and harrassment........
All the best guys.......
Congratulations :)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abdulsamadd said:

Thank you
In theory you can apply for a PRTD while in Canada by sending the application form to the overseas visa post but in practice most visa posts:

1. Are increasingly using Visa Handling Facility type agencies which need you to show up in person to submit documentation and/or won't serve someone not physically present/resident in their 'region'.

2. Need your passport to scrutinize stamps and verify declared travel dates (its amazing what you can do with a laser printer) and thereafter endorse the PRTD.

Add to these too that sending documents back and forth between Canada and the relevant country in a secure manner won't be cheap. To summarize its typically such a major hassle to almost be impossible.

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
Nasimj said:
I applied for my PR renewal early March 2015. Got a letter in mail for secondary review by mid April. They didn't ask for any additional documents and every time I called I got the same vague answer. At the same time, I also applied for my citizenship and to cut the story short, I took my citizenship oath yesterday but my PR renewal status is still under process! lol
I don't really know what the logic or story is here. My plan is to call on Monday and just casually follow up on my PR status and see what they say!
Hahhahaha what? I just became PR 2 months ago. So what you are saying is that as per old rules, you lived in Canada for 3 years, applied PR renewals and also received Canadian Citizenship & your PR renewal is still stuck? Is canadian immigration so relaxed about the whole thing or what?

Nasimj

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dream16 said:
Hahhahaha what? I just became PR 2 months ago. So what you are saying is that as per old rules, you lived in Canada for 3 years, applied PR renewals and also received Canadian Citizenship & your PR renewal is still stuck? Is canadian immigration so relaxed about the whole thing or what?

Yes I applied under the old rule, met my RO, applied for both files on the same day! Took 6 months for my citizenship application to be completed and the same six months for my PR to be under SR.
Of course during my citizenship interview, the officer was aware of my PR application renewal and we talked about that but I'm not quite sure how the PR application never got any further in the process. Maybe it was put on hold because if the other application. I don't really know!
I had to call and cancel that PR application as I obviously don't need it any more :)

behsuz

Nov 3, 2012
My timeline for PR renewal application:

Aug 29, 2014: Application received.
Feb 10, 2015: Secondary review email.
Sep 24, 2015: Received a letter in email attachment to pickup my new PR card

No additional documents requested. No urgent processing. My case matches the hypothesis that they just hold the application for one year for no reason.

One note: the online status checking system is always at least one month behind. Call CIC if you want to know the status earlier.

Now my problem is that they scheduled my pickup for a day that I won't be in town. I need to reschedule the pickup I guess. Hopefully this is not going to be a big problem.

Namesake

Jun 8, 2015
Hello all,

Let me share my timelines:

Aug 25, 2014: Application received.
Jan 13, 2015: Secondary review email.
Sept 2, 2015: Noticed an update online that my PR card has been approved.
Sept 4, 2015: Received PR card by mail.

It now appears that in cases where there has been travel outside Canada during the PR clock period, you just have to cool your heels for one year even though you meet the residency obligation and all other criteria!!

morish

Sep 18, 2015
hi i applied my pr card for renewl i spent 784 days in canada. they received my file 6 oct 2014 and got letter from cic feb4 2015 i sent colour copies of my passport 28 feb 2015 . still waiting for card . any idea how long thax and if i get letter from cic to pick up card then can i resechudle date to pick up . i heared from some1 we cant resec. thx alot

behsuz

Nov 3, 2012
I did reschedule my renewed PR card pickup. I went to the pickup location, asked the reception how I can reschedule. She asked why, I explained that I have a ticket to go abroad on that time. Then she gave me an email address. I emailed them and attached my flight ticket. They rescheduled it for me the next day. Also my sister did not show up on the appointment and they automatically rescheduled for her about 4 months after.

In the appointment letter, it says that they will destroy the card if not picked up within 180 days.

Sep 28, 2015
hello everybody,

Like most of you, i have also been waiting for my PR card and it went to secondary review. Here my details:

Application received on April 2nd 2015
Got email from CIC about secondary review on 27th May 2015. They just said it may incur additional delay.

After that no more change in the status.

I have raised an ATIP request against my application. I got the response from them via GCMS information request form.
Can please someone help me to understand the following info from GCMS? I am unable to identify the info related to my application and what comments/notes they wrote?

1) under the PRD assessment section of GCMS form, there are two field:
Status Updated date: 2015/05/27
Potential # of days: 175
Due Date: 2016/05/25

2) Under the correspondence section, there is another due date:
Due Date: 2015/11/23

Need some help in understanding the GCMS response form. Which fields should I refer to understand my status?

I have to travel by Dec end to India and my PR card expires next month. So, I am thinking of re applying the urgent processing. Please advise. Thanks a lot in advance.