+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

elliesun

Sep 29, 2015
Hello Friends,
I sent my application on April 15th. No record showing until July 15th,2015. I got the email on July 15th,2015 that my application need secondary review. Also, the online service updated to"We sent you correspondence on July 15, 2015. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required."
I haven't receive anything since today Sep. 29th,2015.
Anyone please advise how long it will takes if you got the same issue.

Really appreciated.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
elliesun said:
Hello Friends,
I sent my application on April 15th. No record showing until July 15th,2015. I got the email on July 15th,2015 that my application need secondary review. Also, the online service updated to"We sent you correspondence on July 15, 2015. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required."
I haven't receive anything since today Sep. 29th,2015.
Anyone please advise how long it will takes if you got the same issue.

Really appreciated.
If you have not received the correspondence referred to in eCas, you should contact the call centre as soon as possible and inquire further. In particular, be sure to get a call centre representative who will look at your personal file. This is not always easy. Stay polite but insistent, emphasizing how long ago eCas indicated you were sent correspondence which you have not, as yet, received.

While eCas often indicates mailings well before the item is actually mailed, so it is not uncommon for there to be a significant delay in receiving the correspondence, it should have reached you by now.

Among things to check is to make sure CIC has the correct address, to make sure you receive mail at the address CIC has for you.

All that said, when was eCas updated to show that the correspondence was sent? I assume that was at the same time you received the email back in July.

elliesun

Sep 29, 2015
dpenabill said:
If you have not received the correspondence referred to in eCas, you should contact the call centre as soon as possible and inquire further. In particular, be sure to get a call centre representative who will look at your personal file. This is not always easy. Stay polite but insistent, emphasizing how long ago eCas indicated you were sent correspondence which you have not, as yet, received.

While eCas often indicates mailings well before the item is actually mailed, so it is not uncommon for there to be a significant delay in receiving the correspondence, it should have reached you by now.

Among things to check is to make sure CIC has the correct address, to make sure you receive mail at the address CIC has for you.

All that said, when was eCas updated to show that the correspondence was sent? I assume that was at the same time you received the email back in July.
Yes. My friend. You are right. The eCas undated showing that the correspondence was sent on the same day as July 15th. I called the CIC Center on August 15th, 2015 to check if they mailed the correspondence or email instead. The answer from them are if you received by email then you won't receive by mail. But the email only indicated that they will do the secondary review. In this case, do you think I need keep calling the call center to clarify the status? Really appreciated your help.

EddyIT

Star Member
Mar 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ladies and gentlemen,

I'd like to share good news with everyone.

I just got home from work a little while ago and I found a letter from CIC with the new PR card.

It's been over 1 year but finally it arrived.

My timeline:
-Sent PR renewal: September 9, 2014
-Secondary review email: January 21, 2015
-New card received by mail: October 1st, 2015

It seems that things are moving forward. I was not asked to provide additional papers or to pick up the new card in person.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and don't worry, your card will come soon!

EastWest

May 29, 2015
EddyIT said:
Ladies and gentlemen,

I'd like to share good news with everyone.

I just got home from work a little while ago and I found a letter from CIC with the new PR card.

It's been over 1 year but finally it arrived.

My timeline:
-Sent PR renewal: September 9, 2014
-Secondary review email: January 21, 2015
-New card received by mail: October 1st, 2015

It seems that things are moving forward. I was not asked to provide additional papers or to pick up the new card in person.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and don't worry, your card will come soon!
Congratulations EddyIT!

Helen14

Sep 14, 2014
I also received today the renewed PR cards by mail. No any additional documents were requested.

Application: Sep 9, 2014
Sec.Review: Jan 21, 2015
Decision: Aug 13, 2015
Sent by mail: Sep 25, 2015 (44 days after decision)
Received: Oct 2, 2015.

Good luck to all and be patient!

ken2015

May 28, 2015
Congrats Helen & EddyIT, finally you got the happy news. I am now worried about my case because I have applied in August 2014 & my e-case status is still showing "In process" with following information:-

1.We received your application for a permanent resident card on August, 2014.
2.We started processing your application on January, 2015.
3.We sent you a letter on January, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

However, I didn't receive a letter but an email sent on same date as mentioned above informing that my case is sent to secondary review. Further, I have not received any letter or email asking any additional documents yet. Unfortunately I didn't call "Call Center" a single time for follow up since I am not in Canada. Having seen a number of our friends got their PR cards after 1 year, I am thinking since I have not yet follow up with them that's why they don't want to process my application?. Could anybody share his experience if he got the PR card without calling them for a secondary review case. Also if anybody guide me how to call from outside Canada & what will be the consequences if they knew I am calling from outside. Need your help buddies!!!
Ken

Rahman Sami

Oct 3, 2015
How get the permanent Visa from Canada ?

Dear Sir ,
I have to know how to get the canada visa . I have to know about it . And i also want to get the permenant visa of canada . So i also want know about it . How to apply for that and to know how is the process for the permenant visa .

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: How get the permanent Visa from Canada ?

Rahman Sami said:
Dear Sir ,
I have to know how to get the canada visa . I have to know about it . And i also want to get the permenant visa of canada . So i also want know about it . How to apply for that and to know how is the process for the permenant visa .
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

elliesun

Sep 29, 2015
elliesun said:
Yes. My friend. You are right. The eCas undated showing that the correspondence was sent on the same day as July 15th. I called the CIC Center on August 15th, 2015 to check if they mailed the correspondence or email instead. The answer from them are if you received by email then you won't receive by mail. But the email only indicated that they will do the secondary review. In this case, do you think I need keep calling the call center to clarify the status? Really appreciated your help.
I called CIC Center today to check whether they had sent me the correspondence letter by mail. They said they only sent me one email to notify me that they need second review my case, also she said my application is not in the local office. So I guess the only thing I need to do is wait.

Canvan003

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
After 1 year and 20 days I got my PR Card.

Application Received: September 2014
Secondary Review Letter: January 2015
Application/Card Approved: August 2015
Card Received in Mail: October 2015

No request for additional documents.

Good luck to everyone waiting for their card.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone under SR get an ATIP they can share with the forum - does this reveal the reasons for delayed PR Card renewal processing. On the citizenship forum plenty of applicants have issues with shortfall days that are notified in their ATIP.

daisy178

May 21, 2015
I'M in the samilar situation with Ken2015. My time line:
Application received: Feb 18,2015
Secondary Review Email: Apri.02,2015.
No additional Documents required yet.
And I haven't made a single call to the CIC till now.
I live outside Canada now.

Is anyone who lived outside Canada got their PR card after Secondary Review?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
CIC's web page with information about eligibility for a new PR card:
Determine your eligibility — Permanent Resident Card (this is a link)

There it states:
You can apply for a permanent resident card (PR card) if you:

-- have permanent resident status,
-- are in Canada,
-- have not been asked by the Government of Canada to leave the country, and
-- are not a Canadian citizen.

Many overlook the "are in Canada" part.

The technicalities can get a bit complicated, and are subject to some dispute.

The practicality, however, is relatively simple: for now, for a PR who is not physically in Canada, CIC makes it as difficult as they can for such PRs to obtain a new PR card.

Reminders:

PRs who are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation do not really need a new PR card unless and until they return to live in Canada (and even then, it is more for convenience when applying for services like health care coverage than it is any need to have the PR card).

While possessing a valid PR card may help avoid scrutiny relative to the PR residency obligation when arriving at a POE, technically it has no relevance. PR Residency Obligation and PR card validity are independent of one another.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
elliesun said:
I called CIC Center today to check whether they had sent me the correspondence letter by mail. They said they only sent me one email to notify me that they need second review my case, also she said my application is not in the local office. So I guess the only thing I need to do is wait.
I do not purport to fully understand what secondary review is about or how it is conducted, but my understanding is that it involves the file going back to the Sydney processing center, and at the least involves a more specific review of internal CIC and perhaps (not certain of this) CBSA records. As I understand things, if a full blown Residency Determination happens, in contrast, that will happen in the local office (after secondary review).

So something has flagged your case. The secondary review, it seems to me, is to more thoroughly check FOSS and GCMS records, perhaps cross-check information against other sources.

In any event, it makes sense you were sent an email that secondary review was initiated, your file is back in Sydney, and all you can do for now is wait.

How long will vary. PRs with problematic issues have reported very long timelines. But, I think many others experience far shorter timelines. A great deal depends on the particular circumstances in the individual PR's situation. Note, for example, if CIC apprehends the PR is abroad, primarily abroad, or otherwise the address given is not where the PR actually lives, that seems to trigger much, much longer delays.

How to approach this situation varies a lot depending on the individual's situation and history.