+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility criteria for the Canadian PR card.

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by Goodspeed, Aug 16, 2012.

  1. Hello everyone. I wanted to know what exactly is the criteria to qualify for Permanent residency in Canada. I live and work in the UK and I've got 2 years of work experience in the Games industry as a Software Engineer. I've never been to Canada before but I was wondering if I could apply for a PR card and still work in Canada.

    So my questions are:

    1. Is it possible for me to apply for a Canadian PR card just on the basis of having 2 years worth of work experience in the UK and even without having a job offer from a Canadian company?

    2. I've got a Master's degree, so does this help me in any way of getting the PR card?

    3. I have a friend who lives and works in Canada, who has a permanent resident card. Would that help me in any way for my process?

    I've been trying to look for answers on-line on the main website, but I'm still confused and hence I thought some experts here could help me out.

    Cheers. :)
  2. 1. You don't qualify for the federal program (you need a job offer for that one). Hopefully someone else can comment on the provincial programs.
    2. Depending on which program you apply through, having a Masters may get you more points towards qualifying for PR.
    3. No - this doesn't help. Unless she can help you get you a job offer in Canada.
  3. 1. You have to go through the CIC website and look for an immigration class you qualify under. These days, most of them need a job offer except maybe Quebec skilled worker. How is your French?

    2. If you are a PhD student in Canada, you can apply under the skilled worker program if you have enough points. Feel like doing a PhD?

    3. Your friend can maybe help you get a job offer. A job offer would allow you to either apply under the skilled worker program or apply for a work permit.

    One option is also if you qualify for the UK working holiday program, you could get a one year open work permit through there and once you are in Canada, work on getting a good job with an employer that wants to keep you and helps you find ways to stay.

Share This Page