+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elements of a good employment reference letter

R

rambo2011

Employment Reference Letters:
ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED/NOTARIZED COPIES

Letters of reference from your employers constitute a key component of your application for Permanent Residence.

IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO PROVIDE A REFERENCE FROM YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER, PLEASE PROVIDE A WRITTEN EXPLANATION.

As a general rule, reference letters must be issued with a date, signed by a supervisory officer at the place of employment. They MUST be on original company’s letterhead, showing the company’s full address, contact details, and be stamped with the company’s official seal.

Letters from your current and former (if any) employers describing your work experience are a very important part of your application. These letters should be detailed and must show the Canadian Immigration officer that you performed certain work activities for a specific duration in accordance with your skills and qualifications.
The letter(s) should clearly describe the duties and tasks of your particular position.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• Letters that only indicate position, salary, and a statement that “he was a very good employee and we would hire him again” may not be sufficient! These letters are missing the important details of the applicant’s performance while working with the company.

• Employment Reference letters must include the following:
-the specific period of your employment with the company;
-the position(s) you have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
-your main responsibilities in each position;
-if possible, your total annual salary

Elements of A Good Employment Letter (Worksheet)

A good job related reference letter gives many details. It lists the projects you worked on, and the achievements you accomplished. Very importantly, it should also describe your day-to-day duties and tasks. These daily tasks may seem mundane, but they often demonstrate that you perform the duties of a certain position, and that you possess the required basic skills. It is important that the letter demonstrates that you know the basic skills of your position, and that you have already been trained in them.

We are aware that a strong reference letter is sometimes not easy to obtain.
At a minimum, the letter should state your position, the length of your employment, salary, and a summary of your duties.
Employment Letter Problems?

• Sometimes people are reluctant to ask their employer for such letters, for fear that the employer will become suspicious of them. If this is the case, then you may ask colleagues or even reputable well-known customers you have worked with to write an employment letter for you.

• Letters from colleagues must be notarized, and should state that he/she has worked with you, and witnessed you performing certain duties. Letters from clients do not need to be notarized if they are printed on the client's official letterhead.

• In those cases where employment letters are not available, or where letters from colleagues or clients are substituting, as many of the following additional documents should be provided to our office as possible:

• tax documents
• pay slips
• performance appraisals
• contracts,
• promotion letters or letters of appointment
• previous immigration documents (such as H1 Visa applications from the USA)
• letters sometimes provided by employers for banking purposes, in which the letter confirms your position and salary; this kind of letter may be available from your Personnel/Human Resources Department.

Please note that these substitutes may be provided, even in the case that you are able to obtain a good employment letter as detailed above. Providing us with such documents can help us to better demonstrate credibility of your employment history, which may facilitate your application, or the chance of an interview waiver.

Generally a reference letter is written as follows:

[Company Letter Head]

[Date]

To whom it may concern,

[Applicant] has been employed by [employer] from [start date] to [end date], in the position of [position or job title]. His/her monthly/annual salary was [salary]

In this position, he/she had the following duties and responsibilities:

[list of duties and responsibilities]

Additionally, [any additional information]

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any more information

Sincerely,

[Name of supervisor]
[Signature of supervisor]
[Business card of supervisor attached if possible]

The description, duties and responsibilities on the letter should closely resemble, but not be an exact copy of, those expected of an employee working in your NOC code.

If your company will not issue such a letter, you should take every step to obtain official documentation from the company listing your job duties and responsibilities. As well, these other alternatives may be used, however they may not always work. It is always better to obtain an original letter of reference directly from a supervisor or HR.

Omshri

Sep 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC- Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 1, 2013
AOR Received.
November 14, 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
April 6, 2014
Med's Done....
Upfront, March 29, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 16, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 28, 2014
LANDED..........
August 3, 2014
Wow! rambo2011, you are superb...
What a detailed information you had provided. Definitely this will help to all the people on this forum as well me.

God bless you with a long life and a wonderful career...

Thanks a ton!

Best Regards,

I give 5 of 5 star rating to you for this posting !!! ;D

ganesh123

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-JUN-2012
AOR Received.
15-NOV-2012
IELTS Request
submitted along with application
Med's Request
14-FEB-2013
Med's Done....
25-FEB-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-APR-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-MAY-2013
LANDED..........
11-MAY-2013
Thanks Rambo. This looks very helpful.

calgarylady

Star Member
Apr 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2011
IELTS Request
Included with Application
This is Awesome! i wish u read this before applying ...

this should definalty be added to teh CEC application guidline as well as the Letter Template!!!!

Great Job!!!!

abirdie

Oct 1, 2012
Hi there,
Can you tell me what kind of company letter head is needed?
Mine doesn't have any, they only put the logo and my manager can put website, company address and phone number under his signature.
Will that work? Please reply

kmath

Dec 30, 2012
Hi,

Can anyone please suggest in this case.

If the employer is not providing a employment letter and in that case, a reference letter from Client in a word document stating the duties one has performed along with the signature and designation of the client manager or a business user , will that work as an additional supporting document, as many cases even client will not provide the letter in a company letter head or not willing to get notarized , as this is something personal ref letter kind of from a well known client manager or business user and purely based on the personal rappo.

Please advise.

Thanks
Kmath.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
In that case, you want to gather as much evidence of your work experience as possible. If a client is willing to list your main duties(provide details) and a client manager will sign and provide their contact information, it's better than nothing. I would add your most recent payslip, job offer letter/contract(if it lists the job duties), etc and also include an explanation why you are not able to get this letter from your employer.

kmath said:
Hi,

Can anyone please suggest in this case.

If the employer is not providing a employment letter and in that case, a reference letter from Client in a word document stating the duties one has performed along with the signature and designation of the client manager or a business user , will that work as an additional supporting document, as many cases even client will not provide the letter in a company letter head or not willing to get notarized , as this is something personal ref letter kind of from a well known client manager or business user and purely based on the personal rappo.

Please advise.

Thanks
Kmath.

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
abirdie said:
Can you tell me what kind of company letter head is needed?
Mine doesn't have any, they only put the logo and my manager can put website, company address and phone number under his signature.
The point of letterhead is to show that the company is legitimate. That said, anyone could technically fake a letterhead. If your company just doesnt have one, you need to try to make it look official. Include:

Logos
Supervisor/HR info (name, title, phone, email...)
Company info (addresses, phone, fax, website..)
Signatures
Company stamp/seal
Watermark (if available to you - not necessary)

Good luck!

shibinp

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
23-04-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
great thread thanks rambo2011.

Can any one suggest me based on my situation below:

My company is refused to give a letter as per the format CIC needed but gave a letter which only has salary detail and the employment period. Then I discussed with my Client manager (I have been working from client site from day 1) and he was so kind to provide me a letter with full duties and responsibilities I have been doing for them (which does not include the salary detail because obviously it is paid by my company). Now I have a letter from my company with salary detail and another letter from client with roles and resp.

Now I am planning to submit both letters and a cover letter to explain, but bit confused what should be mentioned in cover letter; can I say that, as I am working from client site from day 1 they could explain my duties well, hence attaching the letter from Client or do I need to also tell that my company could give only a letter with salary and period of employment detail?

thanks

anand243244

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
05-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Passport Req..
14-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2014
LANDED..........
02-03-2014
shibinp said:
great thread thanks rambo2011.

Can any one suggest me based on my situation below:

My company is refused to give a letter as per the format CIC needed but gave a letter which only has salary detail and the employment period. Then I discussed with my Client manager (I have been working from client site from day 1) and he was so kind to provide me a letter with full duties and responsibilities I have been doing for them (which does not include the salary detail because obviously it is paid by my company). Now I have a letter from my company with salary detail and another letter from client with roles and resp.

Now I am planning to submit both letters and a cover letter to explain, but bit confused what should be mentioned in cover letter; can I say that, as I am working from client site from day 1 they could explain my duties well, hence attaching the letter from Client or do I need to also tell that my company could give only a letter with salary and period of employment detail?

thanks
Refer to this post http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/what-to-do-when-employer-refuses-to-provide-letter-of-employment-t137182.0.html

It seems you should be good with2 letters and explanation letter, but no one can claim it.

Thanks

kaytea

Star Member
Jan 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2013
AOR Received.
14-05-2013
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
LANDED..........
19-01-2014
In addition, I would like to add a few things to the template letter above.

1) Include the number of hours you work per week. I read someone got denied because they didn't put the total number of hours he worked
2) the printed name or officer or supervisor should be BENEATH the signature
3) Mention that you work full-time. It has to say it on the letter.

AWD

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Hi All,

I have completed a year working in Canada.
My employer is not issuing me a job reference letter and they are not willing to give an explanation in writing why they can't provide it.
They told me over the call that the company has stopped issuing any such letter as the policy is getting reviewed.
I escalated the matter to my Manager and he told me that he can't help nor he can give any reference in writing.

I have copies of all the trail mail over which I was following up with my HR but there is no acknowledgement on the mail.

I have all the document in place except for job reference letter and notice of assessment(NOA- will get in next 3 days).

I contacted my client manager and he issued me a personal reference letter without letter head.
This letter has my role and responsibilities mentioned on it with his name, signature and contact details.

Will this letter be helpful for filing my application?
Do I need to write a cover letter explaining why I am not submitting the job reference letter?
Can someone please help me drafting a letter?

Many Thanks.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi AWD,

sorry to hear that your employer is not willing to help.
if he is not willing to give you a letter that confirm your roles and responsibilities then he MUST at least give you a standard employment letter that confirms your job title,salary,hours worked per a week,benefits if there is any and job location,he is required by the employment standards of the province to give you a simple standard employment letter,if you get this add it to the client reference letter plus a record of employment that you can get from service canada if you do not work that employer anymore.
include your employment contracts,job offer letters,work permits,pay stubs,T4 as supporting documents.
try emailing your employer asking for a reference letter,if he reply saying NO attach that as well with your application.
yes you have to attach a well explained cover letter why you are unable to provide such a document.

good luck :)

AWD

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
canadavisa13 said:
Hi AWD,

sorry to hear that your employer is not willing to help.
if he is not willing to give you a letter that confirm your roles and responsibilities then he MUST at least give you a standard employment letter that confirms your job title,salary,hours worked per a week,benefits if there is any and job location,he is required by the employment standards of the province to give you a simple standard employment letter,if you get this add it to the client reference letter plus a record of employment that you can get from service canada if you do not work that employer anymore.
include your employment contracts,job offer letters,work permits,pay stubs,T4 as supporting documents.
try emailing your employer asking for a reference letter,if he reply saying NO attach that as well with your application.
yes you have to attach a well explained cover letter why you are unable to provide such a document.

good luck :)
Hi,
I had mail the HR four times but they are not responding to any of the emails. Enlcosing this will help?
Now, I have ask them to issue a letter for getting house agreement. It will mention my designation,salary and the time since I am working here.Will this help?
I am thinking on enclosing following:

• Copy of Positive Labour Market Opinion Confirmation ( It confirms job title,salary,hours worked per a week,benefits)
• Copy of Valid Work Permit
• Copies of last 12 months pay stub and T4 form
• Copy of Notice of Assessment ( should get it by Monday)
• Record of Employment from Service Canada (as suggested by you)
• Reference Letter from Client Manager (Thinking of notarizing it)
• A deputation Letter from my company but it doesn't defines my roles and responsibility
• Salary Change Letter from my company
• A support Letter from my company issued in support of my LMO(but its very highly level but it does mention about my job location and salary)

Do you think its sufficient?

Apart from this, how should I frame the cover letter and whom should it be address?

I hope I am not too demanding.

Many Thanks

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
you are welcome AWD,

make sure the letter you are getting include the number of hours worked per week or at least says that you are a full time employee.
record of employment can't be issued if you are still working with that employer,it's issued only when a person leave the job.
the letter should be addressed to the immigration officer and there is no specific template or format just make sure it explain your situation.
yes include those emails that you sent to the HR and got no response for.
notarizing the reference from client manager will not harm,you can do so if you want to.

good luck ;)