+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elements of a good employment reference letter

Kanikananda

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
Employment Reference Letters:
ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED/NOTARIZED COPIES

Letters of reference from your employers constitute a key component of your application for Permanent Residence.

IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO PROVIDE A REFERENCE FROM YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER, PLEASE PROVIDE A WRITTEN EXPLANATION.

As a general rule, reference letters must be issued with a date, signed by a supervisory officer at the place of employment. They MUST be on original company’s letterhead, showing the company’s full address, contact details, and be stamped with the company’s official seal.

Letters from your current and former (if any) employers describing your work experience are a very important part of your application. These letters should be detailed and must show the Canadian Immigration officer that you performed certain work activities for a specific duration in accordance with your skills and qualifications.
The letter(s) should clearly describe the duties and tasks of your particular position.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• Letters that only indicate position, salary, and a statement that “he was a very good employee and we would hire him again” may not be sufficient! These letters are missing the important details of the applicant’s performance while working with the company.

• Employment Reference letters must include the following:
-the specific period of your employment with the company;
-the position(s) you have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
-your main responsibilities in each position;
-if possible, your total annual salary

Elements of A Good Employment Letter (Worksheet)

A good job related reference letter gives many details. It lists the projects you worked on, and the achievements you accomplished. Very importantly, it should also describe your day-to-day duties and tasks. These daily tasks may seem mundane, but they often demonstrate that you perform the duties of a certain position, and that you possess the required basic skills. It is important that the letter demonstrates that you know the basic skills of your position, and that you have already been trained in them.

We are aware that a strong reference letter is sometimes not easy to obtain.
At a minimum, the letter should state your position, the length of your employment, salary, and a summary of your duties.
Employment Letter Problems?

• Sometimes people are reluctant to ask their employer for such letters, for fear that the employer will become suspicious of them. If this is the case, then you may ask colleagues or even reputable well-known customers you have worked with to write an employment letter for you.

• Letters from colleagues must be notarized, and should state that he/she has worked with you, and witnessed you performing certain duties. Letters from clients do not need to be notarized if they are printed on the client's official letterhead.

• In those cases where employment letters are not available, or where letters from colleagues or clients are substituting, as many of the following additional documents should be provided to our office as possible:

• tax documents
• pay slips
• performance appraisals
• contracts,
• promotion letters or letters of appointment
• previous immigration documents (such as H1 Visa applications from the USA)
• letters sometimes provided by employers for banking purposes, in which the letter confirms your position and salary; this kind of letter may be available from your Personnel/Human Resources Department.

Please note that these substitutes may be provided, even in the case that you are able to obtain a good employment letter as detailed above. Providing us with such documents can help us to better demonstrate credibility of your employment history, which may facilitate your application, or the chance of an interview waiver.

Generally a reference letter is written as follows:

[Company Letter Head]

[Date]

To whom it may concern,

[Applicant] has been employed by [employer] from [start date] to [end date], in the position of [position or job title]. His/her monthly/annual salary was [salary]

In this position, he/she had the following duties and responsibilities:

[list of duties and responsibilities]

Additionally, [any additional information]

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any more information

Sincerely,

[Name of supervisor]
[Signature of supervisor]
[Business card of supervisor attached if possible]

The description, duties and responsibilities on the letter should closely resemble, but not be an exact copy of, those expected of an employee working in your NOC code.

If your company will not issue such a letter, you should take every step to obtain official documentation from the company listing your job duties and responsibilities. As well, these other alternatives may be used, however they may not always work. It is always better to obtain an original letter of reference directly from a supervisor or HR.
Hi

Please advice my current employer is ready to include all other details but is not ready to mention CTC on my reference letter can that be a
problem

Thanks
Kanika

rekhabishop

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
Does the reference letter have to be one page only?

And in case it is a two page document, are we supposed to include the signatures on both the sheets? or one would do?

mith89

Aug 4, 2017

Letters of reference from your employers constitute a key component of your application for Permanent Residence.

IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO PROVIDE A REFERENCE FROM YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER, PLEASE PROVIDE A WRITTEN EXPLANATION.

As a general rule, reference letters must be issued with a date, signed by a supervisory officer at the place of employment. They MUST be on original company’s letterhead, showing the company’s full address, contact details, and be stamped with the company’s official seal.

Letters from your current and former (if any) employers describing your work experience are a very important part of your application. These letters should be detailed and must show the Canadian Immigration officer that you performed certain work activities for a specific duration in accordance with your skills and qualifications.
The letter(s) should clearly describe the duties and tasks of your particular position.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• Letters that only indicate position, salary, and a statement that “he was a very good employee and we would hire him again” may not be sufficient! These letters are missing the important details of the applicant’s performance while working with the company.

-the position(s) you have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position

A good job related reference letter gives many details. It lists the projects you worked on, and the achievements you accomplished. Very importantly, it should also describe your day-to-day duties and tasks. These daily tasks may seem mundane, but they often demonstrate that you perform the duties of a certain position, and that you possess the required basic skills. It is important that the letter demonstrates that you know the basic skills of your position, and that you have already been trained in them.

At a minimum, the letter should state your position, the length of your employment, salary, and a summary of your duties.

• Sometimes people are reluctant to ask their employer for such letters, for fear that the employer will become suspicious of them. If this is the case, then you may ask colleagues or even reputable well-known customers you have worked with to write an employment letter for you.

• Letters from colleagues must be notarized, and should state that he/she has worked with you, and witnessed you performing certain duties. Letters from clients do not need to be notarized if they are printed on the client's official letterhead.

• In those cases where employment letters are not available, or where letters from colleagues or clients are substituting, as many of the following additional documents should be provided to our office as possible:

• tax documents
• pay slips
• performance appraisals
• contracts,
• letters sometimes provided by employers for banking purposes, in which the letter confirms your position and salary; this kind of letter may be available from your Personnel/Human Resources Department.

Please note that these substitutes may be provided, even in the case that you are able to obtain a good employment letter as detailed above. Providing us with such documents can help us to better demonstrate credibility of your employment history, which may facilitate your application, or the chance of an interview waiver.

[Company Letter Head]

[Date]

To whom it may concern,

[Applicant] has been employed by [employer] from [start date] to [end date], in the position of [position or job title]. His/her monthly/annual salary was [salary]

Sincerely,

[Name of supervisor]

The description, duties and responsibilities on the letter should closely resemble, but not be an exact copy of, those expected of an employee working in your NOC code.

If your company will not issue such a letter, you should take every step to obtain official documentation from the company listing your job duties and responsibilities. As well, these other alternatives may be used, however they may not always work. It is always better to obtain an original letter of reference directly from a supervisor or HR.
ITs really helpful post. I was searching for this. Her js my query.

I Started job in a med institute and did as a junior resident in surgery dep. Although i worked thwre for 20 mnths bt i didnt resigned there and started new job. Later they sent me termination letter. What kind of docs i must produce for EE? They wont issue me an exp certificate. But i may talk to dep in which i worked to be signed by random senior doctor?

THanks.

rahimpal

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
China
NOC Code......
i cannot get frm the supervisors , my collegeaus can mention the job duties on letter head and sign it.is this accepted ?

company seal on letter head is it mandatory?

newtocanada2017

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
I am working in US on H1-B for last 7 years. The Green card process is way too slow and I am planning to move to Canada.

My employer provides Employment Verification letter in standard format with just letter of joining, current position and salary information. I work at client location alone.

My manager in India is not willing to provide letter of job duties verification.

I do have my H1-B papers which have
1) Letter from HR to US Immigration with details of my duties/employment hours as well as job duties dated April-2016 for employment period 2016 to 2019.
2) I also have similar letters to US Immigration for previous period.
3) I do have my H1-B petitions
4) I also have letter from my Client describing my job-title / job duties and metioning my employer is responsible for my salary.

Will this work instead of a details Letter of Employment verification?

Please advice if I can use my H1B papers?

Nikedev

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
Hey Guys,
My employer refused to give the reference letter. But after repeated follow-up, one of my colleagues (supervisor to other team) agreed to give a reference letter as my supervisor but not in a company letter head.
He asked me to write and give him so that he can sign, scan and send me back to me in email. I have written the letter and below is the format and contents I have put in. Request you guys to go through and provide suggestions to improve.

======================================================================
[Date]

To Whomsoever It May Concern

This is to certify that XXXXXXX (Emp# XXXXX) was employed by XXXXXXXXXX from DD Month YYYY to DD Month YYYY with a valid Work Permit on full time, in the position of Software Developer – Team Lead at the client (XXXX) site located at XXXXXX, Ontario. His annual salary was approximately CAD XXXXX (revised from CAD XXXXX on DD Month YYYY), consisting of the Indian salary (paid in Canada as taxable Canadian income) and a Canadian supplement.
In this position, he had the following duties and responsibilities (under NOC 2174):
• Analyzing the existing legacy system components and extracting the business logic and rules from the system software code.
• Requirement gathering by discussing with users or clients and documenting them.
• Requirement analysis on the new enhancement or change requests.
• Dividing and scheduling the project into phases and creating Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for a project.
• Developing data models, entity relationship diagrams and plans and estimations.
• Coding software modules when there is a change required for business rules and validating the code with coding standard templates.
• Conducting code walkthrough and reviewing internal and external quality assurance in the application.
• Preparing test plans and performing unit testing, integration testing and regression testing and verifying test coverage.
• Logging and tracking issues in defect tracker system. Forwarding escalation of issues when necessary.
• Initiation of review and logging, tracking and closing the defects.
• Identifying, assessing and prioritizing risk items and evaluating its impact.
• Maintaining and supporting the existing software application system by fixing the identified bugs and finding the root cause toward a permanent resolution.
• Prepare weekly status reports and other documentation and schedule meetings to discuss on the status of the project and maintenance of software.
• Performing offshore-onsite coordination by gathering requirements from the clients or users and conveying them to offshore team.
Additionally, he was working 40 hours per week under my supervision. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any more information.

Sincerely,

[Name of supervisor]
=============================================================================================================

I have a few questions as well
1) Should I notarize this letter? If yes, where should I notarize, in Canada or India? Why I am asking this is the supervisor (the person giving me the letter) is in Canada and I am in India.
2) Do I need to attach Canadian compensation letters?
3) I had insurance. Adding a copy of it would help?
4) I had OHIP. Adding a copy of it would help?
5) What other details should or can I add? Let me know mandatory details that are missing.
6) In addition to this letter, would a client letter add value or this is sufficient?

Help me guys... I need to submit soon as I applied in August 2013 and now I am sending the reference letters after a very long gap.
======
Hello mate,

I am in same situation - could you please help what you did to get it done ?

1) Should I notarize this letter? If yes, where should I notarize, in Canada or India? Why I am asking this is the supervisor (the person giving me the letter) is in Canada and I am in India.

Thanks -

Nikedev

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• tax documents
• pay slips
• performance appraisals
• contracts,

[Company Letter Head]

[Date]

To whom it may concern,

Sincerely,

[Name of supervisor]

Hello -
• Letters from colleagues must be notarized -->
Should I notarize this letter? If yes, where should I notarize, in Canada or India? Why I am asking this is the supervisor (the person giving me the letter) is in Canada and I am in India.

AK0910

Star Member
Oct 22, 2019
Hi,
Kindly check whether the below supporting documents are enough to justify my work experience:
ABC Company 2nd Feb 2009 to 26th Feb 2010.
Note:(I have the offer letter, reference letter, payslips but since it was on contractual basis and I was being paid via cash only and the income was not taxable, I don’t have any other document)

DEF Company 01st March 2010 to 28th Feb 2015.
Note:(I have the offer letter, reference letter, payslips and work visa stamped on my passport since it was in another country, I have the copy of resident permit of that country mentioning the employer name, I don’t have any other document)

GHI Company 05th March 2015 to 14th April 2015.
Note:(I have the offer letter, reference letter, payment certificate but since it was on contractual basis and I was paid via cash only due to not having a bank account and the income was not taxable I don’t have any other document)

XYZ Company 17th April to Present.
Note:(I have the offer letter, reference letter, payslips and work visa stamped on my passport since it a different company a part from (GHI Company) in another country, I have the resident permit of my currently residing country mentioning my employer name, I don’t have any other document)