+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hope that there are not so many people who were giving credit on the "reliable" June 19th date from the call centre clerks.

Do you guys remember how many times they have said "It will be June 19th. Confirmed."

Another prove how unreliable that call centre is.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Martin29 said:
I hope the new residency calculator and application will be available on 11th June 2015.
It should be available on the 11th yes.

I will test it right away, because I just conducted my 39th exit/entry in Canada for the last 4 years.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Martin29 said:
I hope the new residency calculator and application will be available on 11th June 2015.
I'm curious to see my new calculation. I did it manually (but not very good, admitedly), and in the new law I'd have around 1,936 days of physical presence. Under the current rules I have 1,425.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MiriamT said:
I'm curious to see my new calculation. I did it manually (but not very good, admitedly), and in the new law I'd have around 1,936 days of physical presence. Under the current rules I have 1,425.
I remember that your hope was CIC to proceed your application slower, because of your study abroad. I think that you made the right decision to submit your application in the April 1st- June 10th time frame.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
MUFC said:
I remember that your hope was CIC to proceed your application slower, because of your study abroad. I think that you made the right decision to submit your application in the April 1st- June 10th time frame.
Hi MUFC, funny that you remember me.

I actually deferred my year. I won't be studying abroad this upcoming year, I'll study at a college in Canada instead. I'll save money to make up for the lost scholarship, and hopefully be able to get another one.

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
MUFC said:
MUFC, Can you kindly give ur opinion what
happens to Processing Times of individuals
who submitted applications between April 1
and June 10th ??? They have written all those
submitted before April 1 will have decision before
March 31, 2016. So what happens to Processing times
of April 1--June 10th applicants. Would their processing be delayed????

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MiriamT said:
Hi MUFC, funny that you remember me.

I actually deferred my year. I won't be studying abroad this upcoming year, I'll study at a college in Canada instead. I'll save money to make up for the lost scholarship, and hopefully be able to get another one.
For me according to my understandings the Canadian citizenship is always the easiest option to get it soon or later.
It is much more difficult to get a full scholarship for high level university abroad like you already did.

Please don't tell me that because of the citizenship you postponed your chance to study for free and to get a degree from high level university.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
godhelp said:
MUFC, Can you kindly give ur opinion what
happens to Processing Times of individuals
who submitted applications between April 1
and June 10th ??? They have written all those
submitted before April 1 will have decision before
March 31, 2016. So what happens to Processing times
of April 1--June 10th applicants. Would their processing be delayed????
I noticed that again CIC is making differentiation depending on the time cluster of received applications. Nobody can tell, but according to me because of the high volume and the increased applications submitted with the bare minimum, all the cluster might end up being processed slower.

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
MUFC said:
I noticed that again CIC is making differentiation depending on the time cluster of received applications. Nobody can tell, but according to me because of the high volume and the increased applications submitted with the bare minimum, all the cluster might end up being processed slower.
thanks MUFC. I also think the same.
May be RQs on many applications between
April 1 and june 10th.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
MUFC said:
See, I have a different understanding from that paragraph, including the last sentence:

"The first set of provisions that came into force last summer to strengthen Canadian citizenship and speed up application processing times are already paying off. New citizenship applications are being finalized in a year or less, and it is expected that the backlog of older files will have been eliminated by the end of this fiscal year. Individuals who submitted a citizenship application before April 1, 2015 will have a decision by March 31, 2016." Source: http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=tp&crtr.page=2&nid=985259&crtr.tp1D=1

From my understanding, they are using the above date as an example, and not that only those would be finished in a year or less and everybody else (April 1-June 10) should wait 24-36 months. To me, this is far more important: "[n]ew citizenship applications are being finalized in a year or less. . ."

Edited to add: I forgot to say, but yeah with the increase of applications from those trying to avoid having to postpone applying due to the new rules, they'll have a lot to work on. But at the same time, they increased the fees dramatically so many wouldn't be able to apply due to economical concerns/difficulties.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I was eligible to apply now under the old rules, especially in my case I am absolutely convinced that I would have end up with RQ and therefore waiting much longer compared to applying under the new rules.

That was also one of the reasons why I was waiting finally the new rules to kick in.
Under the new rules the processing times will be much faster compared to now.
godhelp said:
thanks MUFC. I also think the same.
May be RQs on many applications between
April 1 and june 10th.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MiriamT said:
See, I have a different understanding from that paragraph, including the last sentence:

"The first set of provisions that came into force last summer to strengthen Canadian citizenship and speed up application processing times are already paying off. New citizenship applications are being finalized in a year or less, and it is expected that the backlog of older files will have been eliminated by the end of this fiscal year. Individuals who submitted a citizenship application before April 1, 2015 will have a decision by March 31, 2016." Source: http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=tp&crtr.page=2&nid=985259&crtr.tp1D=1

From my understanding, they are using the above date as an example, and not that only those would be finished in a year or less and everybody else (April 1-June 10) should wait 24-36 months. To me, this is far more important: "[n]ew citizenship applications are being finalized in a year or less. . ."
I have never said that those who have applied between April and June will end up waiting more then 24-36 months. I expect a small delay (3-6 months)

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
MUFC said:
I have never said that those who have applied between April and June will end up waiting more then 24-36 months. I expect a small delay (3-6 months)
I can see why it'd seem that I was referring specifically to your comment.

To explain myself better: there are people panicking that applications from April 1 to June 10 will be processed differently (in the current processing times) since that one sentence refers to "individuals who submitted a citizenship application before April 1, 2015."

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MiriamT said:
I can see why it'd seem that I was referring specifically to your comment.

To explain it better: there are people panicking that applications from April 1 to June 10 will be processed differently (in the current processing times) since that one sentence refers to "individuals who submitted a citizenship application before April 1, 2015."
The general problem with that batch (April-June) is that the volume is much higher and the cases with minimum or very close to the minimum days requirements is also increased.

On top of that let's don't forget the flush of those who are applying with Basic residence only. The attention and the scrutiny from CIC is expected to be higher, because I am sure that there will be a lot of problematic applications in that batch.

Lets don't forget all the mistakes on the applications because of that panic.
Lets also don't forget how many people will send second applications while their first one is still not opened.

There are lot of reasons why this period is a little different.