+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
DND said:
With no more planned vacations, it seems that I'm going to be eligible at 21st June. I do have lots of short trips outside Canada, but they are well documented

I have no reason to rush with the application, but the following:
- I don't want to to find out (say 2nd July) that the effective date was the day before
- If there is a chance to participate in the coming federal elections, I would like that (some applications in the GTA seem to take ~ 3 months now)

What is the best strategy for me?
Have u seen any applications with 3 months +\- ? What end points are u measuring? App received to oath?
Would b interesting and encouraging to see stats behind your statement...

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
SoftwareEngg said:
Hello.. instead of FYI... can you pleaes provide me the official link for the information mentioned by you. Thats would be a great help.

Thanks
There are only 2 real requirement to receiving a CPP pension - you must make at least 1 payment (i.e. one deduction from your payroll) and you must be at retirement age (or early retirement age). CPP deduction are taken from any type of legal resident, including temporary, permanent, and citizens.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/services/pensions/cpp/retirement/index.shtml

The CPP is not an immigration linked program, and is not directly linked to Canadian residency. It's a public pension plan - don't confuse this discussion on citizenship with non-citizenship/residency tested federal programs.

There are additional options available, based on reciprocal agreements where you can transfer your pension years to another country if Canada has an agreement with that country. Some examples are outlined here: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/services/pensions/international/examples.shtml

Also don't confuse OAS (Old Age Security) with the CPP. OAS is a residency tested benefit, i.e. you have to have lived in Canada for at least 20 years to be eligible. However once you have lived in Canada for 20 years (or you can get the equivalent of 20 years through a reciprocal agreement), then you are also entitled to OAS regardless of where you live in the world when you reach the qualifying age (in the case of OAS, there are clawbacks if your income exceeds certain levels).

mature

Sep 15, 2014
As a follow up to my last post I want to bring to the attention of the members of this thread that according a CIC Press Release that can be found in its official web site, the REVOCATION PROVISIONS of the SCCA (Bill C24) came into effect TODAY.

FR

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
This was Just Announced:

Protecting Canadians Government of Canada now able to revoke citizenship of dual citizens convicted of terrorism
May 29, 2015 — Ottawa — Measures came into force officially today that enable Canada to revoke citizenship from dual nationals convicted of terrorism, treason and high treason, and/or spying for foreign governments.

Canadian citizenship can now also be revoked from dual citizens for taking up arms against Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces, whether as a member of a foreign army or in non-state terrorist groups like ISIS.

Also officially in force as of today is a new, more streamlined citizenship revocation process. This new process will help ensure Canada and Canadians are protected, and that revocation decisions can be made quickly, decisively and fairly.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officials will be implementing these new measures immediately and will prioritize cases that have been tried and convicted here in Canada on at least one of the grave crimes listed above.

CIC’s website has more information on the new revocation model.
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=832299

Tapak

Oct 13, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow. It seems that 4/6 years residency measure might be implemented in a similar manner - one fine day :(

Dave01

Star Member
Feb 24, 2014
Tapak said:
Wow. It seems that 4/6 years residency measure might be implemented in a similar manner - one fine day :(
Scary... http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=index&crtr.page=2&nid=981809

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
My birth country doesn't allow renunciation of citizenship. Is there a way to tell CIC that I unilaterally abandon (without the origin's country approval) my citizenship of birth and that they no longer consider me a dual citizen ? I didn't come all the way here to Canada just to be a second-class citizen.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MasterGeek said:
My birth country doesn't allow renunciation of citizenship. Is there a way to tell CIC that I unilaterally abandon (without the origin's country approval) my citizenship of birth and that they no longer consider me a dual citizen ? I didn't come all the way here to Canada just to be a second-class citizen.
Pretty sure that the answer to your question is "NO!".

ARayaba

Jul 18, 2014
MasterGeek said:
Yes. CIC considers you to have abandoned your citizenship even if your country does not recognize it. This was clearly answered by the minister in the debate. Watch this youtube video where CIC ministers answers this very question. Its a 10 minute video. But very useful for everyone in this forum.

youtube.com/watch?v=uMoa1vbxRWk&app=desktop

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
ARayaba said:
Yes. CIC considers you to have abandoned your citizenship even if your country does not recognize it. This was clearly answered by the minister in the debate. Watch this youtube video where CIC ministers answers this very question. Its a 10 minute video. But very useful for everyone in this forum.

If that were possible, every affected person would do it. I bet that if you were about to be stripped of Canadian citizenship, CIC would suddenly change their stance. Otherwise, what's the point of having this new legislation?

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
ARayaba said:

I guess something could be done using the Privacy Act:
-Make a Privacy Act request to get a copy of information that CIC holds about you. The information will mention that you are also citizen of country X
-Make a request to correct inaccurate information, also using the Privacy Act, citing that you are no longer citizen of country X because you abanonned said citizenship. CIC will be compelled to make the correction in accordance with the Privacy Act.
-You are now a first class citizen!

Marlee

Jan 16, 2014
Montréal, Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
CSQ: BIQ New York; QSW: CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CSQ: 14-01-2014, QSW: 08-12-2014
Doc's Request.
13-11-2015
Nomination.....
DM: 07-01-2016, CSQ: 15-10-2014
AOR Received.
CSQ: 14-05-2014, QSW: 26-03-2015
IELTS Request
IELTS 8.5 - TEFÀQ C1/C1
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waiver
Passport Req..
Visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 14-01-2016
LANDED..........
17-01-2016
"The new law divides Canadians into two classes of citizens: first class Canadians who hold no other citizenship, and second class Canadians – dual citizens, who can have their right to live in Canada taken away from them. Even if you are born in Canada, you are at risk of losing citizenship if you have dual citizenship or the possibility of dual citizenship. You may not even know that you possess another citizenship. If you have a spouse, parent, or grandparent who is a citizen of another country, you may have a right to citizenship without ever having applied for it. The proposed law would put you at risk of losing your Canadian citizenship if the Minister asserts that you possess or could obtain another citizenship. The burden would be on you to prove otherwise to the Minister’s satisfaction.

The new law will make it easier for the government to take away your citizenship in the following ways:

1. For all naturalized citizens, a federal government official can revoke your citizenship if he believes you never intended to live in Canada. This could happen if you decide to study in, accept a job in, or reside in another country. In contrast, Canadian citizens born in Canada cannot lose their citizenship by living outside of Canada.

2. For Canadians with potential dual citizenship, an official may remove your citizenship for a criminal conviction in another country, even if the other country is undemocratic or lacks the rule of law. The official may also remove your citizenship for certain serious criminal convictions in Canada, even if you have already served your sentence in Canada."

Hence, even abandoning your citizenship of birth does not help because you always have the right to re-apply for it.

Adam3131

Apr 29, 2015
I just sent my citizenship application today would be this new rule be applicable to whoever sent their application as of today?

Thank you

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
Marlee said:
"The new law divides Canadians into two classes of citizens: first class Canadians who hold no other citizenship, and second class Canadians – dual citizens, who can have their right to live in Canada taken away from them. Even if you are born in Canada, you are at risk of losing citizenship if you have dual citizenship or the possibility of dual citizenship. You may not even know that you possess another citizenship. If you have a spouse, parent, or grandparent who is a citizen of another country, you may have a right to citizenship without ever having applied for it. The proposed law would put you at risk of losing your Canadian citizenship if the Minister asserts that you possess or could obtain another citizenship. The burden would be on you to prove otherwise to the Minister's satisfaction.

The new law will make it easier for the government to take away your citizenship in the following ways:

1. For all naturalized citizens, a federal government official can revoke your citizenship if he believes you never intended to live in Canada. This could happen if you decide to study in, accept a job in, or reside in another country. In contrast, Canadian citizens born in Canada cannot lose their citizenship by living outside of Canada.

2. For Canadians with potential dual citizenship, an official may remove your citizenship for a criminal conviction in another country, even if the other country is undemocratic or lacks the rule of law. The official may also remove your citizenship for certain serious criminal convictions in Canada, even if you have already served your sentence in Canada."

Hence, even abandoning your citizenship of birth does not help because you always have the right to re-apply for it.
If you renounce birth citizenship, they can't strip you of Canadian citizenship because that would make you stateless. They can't force you to re-apply for the birth citizenship. Also, several countries don't give the "right to get citizenship" to those who renunciated it.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
Marlee said:
"The new law divides Canadians into two classes of citizens: first class Canadians who hold no other citizenship, and second class Canadians – dual citizens, who can have their right to live in Canada taken away from them. Even if you are born in Canada, you are at risk of losing citizenship if you have dual citizenship or the possibility of dual citizenship. You may not even know that you possess another citizenship. If you have a spouse, parent, or grandparent who is a citizen of another country, you may have a right to citizenship without ever having applied for it. The proposed law would put you at risk of losing your Canadian citizenship if the Minister asserts that you possess or could obtain another citizenship. The burden would be on you to prove otherwise to the Minister's satisfaction.

No first class and second class for us, unless if you plan to spy for a third country (-: do you ????