+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

mature

Sep 15, 2014
I suggest that we return to the main theme of this thread i.e. effective date of Bill C24.
It seems to me that one reason for the delay of the implementation of most of Bill C24 (past the originally quoted June 19th date) is the express commitment of CIC that the new provisions for revocation of citizenship for dual citizens take effect before the rest of the new provisions of the Act. According to the CIC site this is a precondition (Changes with respect to a new revocation decision-making process and new grounds for revocation of citizenship may come into force earlier than the above-listed provisions http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-changes.asp). I wonder how the new Act on terrorism that came into effect at the end of April (Bill C-44) relates to Bill C-24 and its implementation. I underline that this new law also provides for a new procedure and grounds for citizenship revocation (identical to those in Bill C-24). If this assumption is correct then we can come up with a plausible explanation of the CIC Call Centre agents' rsponses to recent questions on enforcement date ie that "The date is no longer June 19.It has been pushed back." Perhaps experienced members of this forum like dpenabill can help clarify this .

FR

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Thank you mature for the reminder and the need to focus on the main topic of discussion which is the implementation date of Bill C-24.
I follow up the conversations here on a daily basis and I welcome any updates that members could share here, respectfully. I'm sure that there are many people like myself who are eagerly waiting to find out when the Residency Requirements of 4 out 6 would be implemented.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
That's right. Let's go back to topic.

Question: Nobody knows when C-24 will be enforced, that much is clear. But do we know EXACTLY what bill C-24 with bring as changes? Every single detail?
Thanks, guys.

SoftwareEngg

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
seton said:
Just FYI - you are entitled to a CPP pension regardless of whether you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, temporary resident, or no longer reside in Canada upon retirement. You can collect CPP while living in another country.
Hello.. instead of FYI... can you pleaes provide me the official link for the information mentioned by you. Thats would be a great help.

Thanks

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
FR said:
Thank you mature for the reminder and the need to focus on the main topic of discussion which is the implementation date of Bill C-24.
I follow up the conversations here on a daily basis and I welcome any updates that members could share here, respectfully. I'm sure that there are many people like myself who are eagerly waiting to find out when the Residency Requirements of 4 out 6 would be implemented.
With no more planned vacations, it seems that I'm going to be eligible at 21st June. I do have lots of short trips outside Canada, but they are well documented

I have no reason to rush with the application, but the following:
- I don't want to to find out (say 2nd July) that the effective date was the day before
- If there is a chance to participate in the coming federal elections, I would like that (some applications in the GTA seem to take ~ 3 months now)

What is the best strategy for me?

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
DND said:
With no more planned vacations, it seems that I'm going to be eligible at 21st June. I do have lots of short trips outside Canada, but they are well documented

I have no reason to rush with the application, but the following:
- I don't want to to find out (say 2nd July) that the effective date was the day before
- If there is a chance to participate in the coming federal elections, I would like that (some applications in the GTA seem to take ~ 3 months now)

What is the best strategy for me?
I submited my papers today. I am 100 sure I can not vote on the coming federal elections.
Good luck on submiting on time, as it seems now you are one of the lucky ones that submit with the old laws.
Wellcome to Canada.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
FR said:
I did a lot of research, here is my guess:
In the next week or two ,on June 2015, there will be an anouncement about the cut off date.
Most lawyers are guessing that it will be july first 2015.
again nothing official, just guesses.

hasankhan27

Jun 23, 2012
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-Dec-2017
QUESTION ON BEHALF OF A FRIEND

Hello,
My friend has completed his basic requirement for number of days stayed in Canada to apply for his citizenship. However he still has 3 months to complete in order to acquire his 1095 days eligibility. If he waits for 3 months to reach 1095 days, he surpasses the date for the implementation of the new bill (which is speculated to be in-place by July, 2015)

He has 2 questions;
1- Will the new bill be implemented to people who apply for their PR or Citizenship after the date it is imposed?
2- Since, he completed his basic requirement, is it a good idea to take a calculated risk and apply for his citizenship right now? (because if he waits, he might have to wait for another 2 years before he can apply)

Your answers would be appreciated.

Have a great day!

mirki

Jun 12, 2014
Hi everyone,

A few questions:

I meet the conditions of physical presence on "2015-06-05" (June 5th), which means that I can submit my application on June 6th. I have a flight scheduled at June 8th, which is a Monday. Ideally I should be sending it on June 8th, but since I am half-absent that day, would this cause any troubles? Or signing on June 7th (Sunday) would look more awkward?

I will be away for four months (I have ongoing ties in Canada, this is just a work-related absence). Does the CIC communicate over e-mail? I plan not to inform CIC for my absence (I don't have to) because I fear of any delay in processing my application. I can always postpone the test date, right?

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
hasankhan27 said:

Hello,
My friend has completed his basic requirement for number of days stayed in Canada to apply for his citizenship. However he still has 3 months to complete in order to acquire his 1095 days eligibility. If he waits for 3 months to reach 1095 days, he surpasses the date for the implementation of the new bill (which is speculated to be in-place by July, 2015)

He has 2 questions;
1- Will the new bill be implemented to people who apply for their PR or Citizenship after the date it is imposed?
2- Since, he completed his basic requirement, is it a good idea to take a calculated risk and apply for his citizenship right now? (because if he waits, he might have to wait for another 2 years before he can apply)

Have a great day!
My advice, is to use the resident calculator and stick to its answers.
if you submit before his 1095 physical days, his file will be rejected.
Again, I am not a lawyer, its my opinion only.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
mirki said:
Hi everyone,

A few questions:

I meet the conditions of physical presence on "2015-06-05" (June 5th), which means that I can submit my application on June 6th. I have a flight scheduled at June 8th, which is a Monday. Ideally I should be sending it on June 8th, but since I am half-absent that day, would this cause any troubles? Or signing on June 7th (Sunday) would look more awkward?

I will be away for four months (I have ongoing ties in Canada, this is just a work-related absence). Does the CIC communicate over e-mail? I plan not to inform CIC for my absence (I don't have to) because I fear of any delay in processing my application. I can always postpone the test date, right?
I dont see any problem submiting it on the 8th on your way to the airport.
regarding communication with CIC ask a friend to check your mail box, and you can always call the CIC call center to m ake sure where your things are .
my opinion only, i am not a lawyer.
Good luck, you are a lucky one to submit with the old laws, Wellcome to canada, our new home.

Garhelzamn

May 28, 2015
London
Dear all,

Small question please, if Iam going to make landing in canada for first time on 26 June 2015 and the new law bill c 24 is not yet implemented, will I still considered under 1095 days to be eligible for the citizenship? And also in case my PR card is not yet issued, will this effect me.

In other words if landed on June 26 and PR not issued, by that time the new law in active, will it effect me as immigrant and I will follow the new rule however I landed before its active but without PR card ?

Thanks in advance brothers

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
Garhelzamn said:
Dear all,

Small question please, if Iam going to make landing in canada for first time on 26 June 2015 and the new law bill c 24 is not yet implemented, will I still considered under 1095 days to be eligible for the citizenship? And also in case my PR card is not yet issued, will this effect me.

In other words if landed on June 26 and PR not issued, by that time the new law in active, will it effect me as immigrant and I will follow the new rule however I landed before its active but without PR card ?

In any case you will be with the new rules.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Foremost: still no news. No news means, literally, no news.

Rumours are rampant, particularly about the prospect of a delayed implementation date. The problem with rumours is that often there is some underlying truth spurring the rumours, but often there is no truth to them, and other times they are totally disproportionate to any actual underlying truths. And it is generally impossible to verify the veracity even partially.

Bottom-line: we still do know any more about the prospective coming-into-force date than we have known for months . . . except that as of May 28, 2015, we know for certain that the revised requirements are not in force as of yet.

June 1st looks to be a losing bet now as well, although this is not quite certain until the end of business hours tomorrow.

Beyond that, we still simply Do Not Know.

mature said:
I suggest that we return to the main theme of this thread i.e. effective date of Bill C24.
It seems to me that one reason for the delay of the implementation of most of Bill C24 (past the originally quoted June 19th date) is the express commitment of CIC that the new provisions for revocation of citizenship for dual citizens take effect before the rest of the new provisions of the Act. According to the CIC site this is a precondition (Changes with respect to a new revocation decision-making process and new grounds for revocation of citizenship may come into force earlier than the above-listed provisions http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-changes.asp). I wonder how the new Act on terrorism that came into effect at the end of April (Bill C-44) relates to Bill C-24 and its implementation. I underline that this new law also provides for a new procedure and grounds for citizenship revocation (identical to those in Bill C-24). If this assumption is correct then we can come up with a plausible explanation of the CIC Call Centre agents' rsponses to recent questions on enforcement date ie that "The date is no longer June 19.It has been pushed back." Perhaps experienced members of this forum like dpenabill can help clarify this .
Bill C-44 came into force on April 23rd, 2015, more than a month ago, since like most legislation its coming into force provision was for it to come into force on the date it recieved Royal Assent.

It did include some provisions which amended the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act 9NOT directly the Citizenship Act itself but rather via the changes to the Citizenship Act as prescribed by the SCCA), none that I noticed directly affecting the grant citizenship requirements of process, mostly in reference to increasing the power of the government to cancel, revoke, or seize certificates, passports, and such (see recent changes to the Canadian Passport Order, in the program delivery instructions and in speaking notes for the Minister), plus some provisions affecting the collection and sharing of information. All these are now in force, but again that is in force as amending the SCCA, whereas many of the affected provisions in the SCCA are not yet in force, still subject to an Order fixing that date by Governor in Council, and thus not yet effective per the Citizenship Act.

In other words, it gets complicated.

But in any event, all this is done, been done for more than a month now, and so this is not a roadblock stalling the implementation of remaining provisions in the SCCA.

All that said: sure, one of the possibilities is that the coming into force of the revised requirements for grant citizenship will be held up until the security related provisions, particularly those related to revocation for terrorism et al, are ready to be fully implemented.

Reminder: the old notices about the revocation provisions taking effect sooner specifically said that MAY happen, not that it would.

Which possibility feeds the current spate of rumours about the overall delay of the revised requirements for grant citizenship . . . some suggesting into July or August, some much later, some even into 2016.

But again, we do not know, and frankly I still give any delay beyond July a low priority . . . noting, though, I am speculating in this. And I still do know that the revised requirements could be make effective any day . . . as I have speculated, I think there will be some advance notice, but there is a real possibility (not just a remote possibility) they could be in force any day.

hasankhan27 said:

Hello,

He has 2 questions;

Have a great day!
At the latest, the revised requirements will govern any application made after the date the revised requirements take effect, regardless of when the PR came to Canada or how long the PR has been in Canada.

Conventional Wisdom is that a shortfall application (based on meeting basic residency but not actuap presence test with 1095+ days) is a bad idea. In another forum I recently saw one shortfall applicant report being scheduled for the oath soon, but that is not verified and it was a 2011 application. Overall, though, it appears that a shortfall application will most likely fail, with some exceptions only in very exceptional cases.

It is, nonetheless, a very personal decision, and what is right for any given individual depends on that individual's circumstances.

Garhelzamn said:
Dear all,

Agree with previous post that indeed there is no doubt, you will be governed by the revised requirement, the 4/6 rule et al.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
dpenabill said:
June 1st looks to be a losing bet now as well, although this is not quite certain until the end of business hours tomorrow.
OMG are you Sure ?
MUFC you won the bet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
are you here around (-:

Trader VS lawyer !!!! LOL It's so interesting how our profession affacts our bets and seculation (-: Only one who comes from the law field will tell you lets wait untill tomorrow 5 pm lol (-: