+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
MUFC said:
How this statistic can show that a Canadian is living abroad when presumably the Canadian is using the other passport to enter his country, so officially there is no Canadian entering the foreign country, because that Canadian has another citizenship.

If the dual citizens are using only the Canadian passport when they go back, then the picture will be shocking. But the government doesn't want to show that numbers.
Wrong. It's shocking because the person is a dual citizen holder. Why would anyone who is a citizen of another country acquire Canadian citizenship only to move back to the country they came from? The whole point of becoming a citizen of another country is so you can live there, pay your taxes there and raise your family there. Or at least that is what the point should be.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mathlete said:
Wrong. It's shocking because the person is a dual citizen holder. Why would anyone who is a citizen of another country acquire Canadian citizenship only to move back to the country they came from? The whole point of becoming a citizen of another country is so you can live there, pay your taxes there and raise your family there. Or at least that is what the point should be.
If all those who are leaving Canada are happy here, they wont leave. If they go back home that means that they live better in their countries, people choose the place to live according to whether they like it or not. If they are disappointed from the Canadian reality of course they will move away from here.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
If Lebanese Canadians are to be punished, why punish South African Canadians. Just my 2 cents.

mathlete said:
Interesting little fact for people who are opponents of the Bill. There are an estimated 2.8m Canadians living abroad that out of a population of only 36m is hugely disproportional. The US has a population of 318m almost 10x that of Canada and has an estimated 3 to 8m Americans living abroad according to the US state department.

After the US the largest Canadian diaspora is Hong Kong, kind of strange seeing how far away and different the two countries are. Lebanon makes no. 4 on the list, after the US, UK and HK. Canadians have no business being in Lebanon. Canada has no historic ties to the country, very little trade, completely different culture and it is on the other side of the world. Why do you think there are so many "Canadians" living in Lebanon? It's because Lebanese citizens are looking for an escape route and a tax payer funded evac the next time that country goes to war.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aries9811 said:
Or may be they should reconsider on the fact that people who landed during 2012-2013 are exempt from this new Rule some relaxation would be helpful. I think these are the people who are getting affected the most.
I somehow doubt that CIC is going to run two systems in parallel for the forseeable future. A good example is where the skilled worker criteria changed and there were at least 3 different or more skilled workers programs running depending on the date of application. To end it all they passed 87,4 which eliminated a massive amount of applications

deemsta

Apr 25, 2014
Hi guys, I lost track of this thread. Wow, new provisions will become effective soon?

What exactly comes into force?
Intention to reside or 4/6 rule?
or BOTH?

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
I do not think CIC can be that logical and say hey! those who became PRs in 2012 and 2013 are exempt from the new law.

anyways,we will not forget this unfairness.Tables always turn one day or another.Nowadays,liberals are gaining votes for some reason I dunno why? eh?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deemsta said:
Hi guys, I lost track of this thread. Wow, new provisions will become effective soon?

What exactly comes into force?
Intention to reside or 4/6 rule?
or BOTH?
Many people are confused ,because the government still keeps the cut off month and date in mystery.
For now it is sure that the cut off date will not be before Mid-April. What will happen after that nobody knows.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bkara said:
I do not think CIC can be that logical and say hey! those who became PRs in 2012 and 2013 are exempt from the new law.

anyways,we will not forget this unfairness.Tables always turn one day or another.Nowadays,liberals are gaining votes for some reason I dunno why? eh?
Now is the last chance for the affected people to comment on that issue. I am sure that there will be a massive portion of supporters to that idea that the new rules should be applicable only to those who became PRs after the Royal Accent.

Questions and requests for additional information, as well as comments on this Notice of Intent, may be directed to Teny Dikranian, Director, Legislation and Program Policy, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, 180 Kent Street, 6th Floor, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1, 613-991-2485 (fax), Citizenship-Citoyennete @ cic.gc.ca (email).

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
MUFC said:
If all those who are leaving Canada are happy here, they wont leave. If they go back home that means that they live better in their countries, people choose the place to live according to whether they like it or not. If they are disappointed from the Canadian reality of course they will move away from here.
Finally we agree on something MUFC !!!
This means you, MUFC, is in Canada because you are happy here and was disappointed from your previous country ! Interesting...

deemsta

Apr 25, 2014
MUFC said:
Many people are confused ,because the government still keeps the cut off month and date in mystery.
For now it is sure that the cut off date will not be before Mid-April. What will happen after that nobody knows.
What about intent to reside? is it coming into force at the same time or is it already in force?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arambi said:
Finally we agree on something MUFC !!!
This means you, MUFC, is in Canada because you are happy here and was disappointed from your previous country ! Interesting...
I'm living soon and most probably I will lose my PR, but that's not a big deal because if I need I can always come back here as a visitor and do that I'm doing now without the need to be PR or a Citizen.
That's why I've decided that I don't need the Canadian citizenship, because in my case there is no practical benefit if I have it.

I don't mind Canada, for me Canada is just e regular normal country, but nothing special. I would never exchange my passport for Canadian one.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deemsta said:
What about intent to reside? is it coming into force at the same time or is it already in force?
Intend to reside might come into force also anytime after Mid-April

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
MUFC said:
Well that is the argument that the millions of expat "Canadians" are saying. Something like "I really intended to stay, but was unhappy and went back home" Of course the truth is that only really applies to a minority of people especially those from Lebanon. The vast majority hung around to pick up their "get out of jail free card" and went back to the risky high life of Beirut.

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
MUFC said:
I'm living soon and most probably I will lose my PR, but that's not a big deal because if I need I can always come back here as a visitor and do that I'm doing now without the need to be PR or a Citizen.
That's why I've decided that I don't need the Canadian citizenship, because in my case there is no practical benefit if I have it.

I don't mind Canada, for me Canada is just e regular normal country, but nothing special. I would never exchange my passport for Canadian one.
So the obvious question is: What are you doing here? If your home country makes you so much happier why remain in Canada? Kind of irrational to be permanently residing someplace where you would rather be elsewhere don't you think?

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
CanadianCountry said:
If Lebanese Canadians are to be punished, why punish South African Canadians. Just my 2 cents.
It wouldn't very politically correct to only target people from a specific country. Besides I have no doubt there are many South African Canadians who acquired their citizenship and then went straight back Cape Town hoping to return should the ANC decide to nationalize their condos.