+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello HHH2000 and keesio,

Have they officially announced the cut-off date?

Many people, including me, have herd from CIC call centre agents that the cut-off date will be June 19, 2015. But some other people have heard that the cut-off date has not been decided yet.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Nuwa said:
Hello HHH2000 and keesio,

Have they officially announced the cut-off date?

Many people, including me, have herd from CIC call centre agents that the cut-off date will be June 19, 2015. But some other people have heard that the cut-off date has not been decided yet.
There has been no official cut off date as of now. No official announcement yet. Call Centre agent response are not official since it is not broadcast on CIC's resources yet.

Screech339

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
screech339 said:
There has been no official cut off date as of now. No official announcement yet. Call Centre agent response are not official since it is not broadcast on CIC's resources yet.

Screech339
here is the link which states that it would be around june 2015:

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?crtr.sj1D=&crtr.mnthndVl=12&mthd=advSrch&crtr.dpt1D=6664&nid=859509&crtr.lc1D=&crtr.tp1D=1&crtr.yrStrtVl=2008&crtr.kw=&crtr.dyStrtVl=26&crtr.aud1D=&crtr.mnthStrtVl=2&crtr.page=6&crtr.yrndVl=2014&crtr.dyndVl=31

Under quick facts:

Citizenship applicants will need to be physically present in Canada for a total of four out of their last six years. In addition, they will need to be physically present in Canada for 183 days per year for at least four of those six years. These provisions will come into force in approximately a year.

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it is very likely that the cut-off date will be around june 2015. But no official statement yet with the exact date.

thecoolguysam said:
here is the link which states that it would be around june 2015:

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?crtr.sj1D=&crtr.mnthndVl=12&mthd=advSrch&crtr.dpt1D=6664&nid=859509&crtr.lc1D=&crtr.tp1D=1&crtr.yrStrtVl=2008&crtr.kw=&crtr.dyStrtVl=26&crtr.aud1D=&crtr.mnthStrtVl=2&crtr.page=6&crtr.yrndVl=2014&crtr.dyndVl=31

Under quick facts:

Citizenship applicants will need to be physically present in Canada for a total of four out of their last six years. In addition, they will need to be physically present in Canada for 183 days per year for at least four of those six years. These provisions will come into force in approximately a year.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tharakah said:
I landed in Canada on 21th July 2012. Will I be able to apply for Citizenship on 21 July 2015?
You have a very good chance to apply according to the current law.

It seems like they will procrastinate the cut off date.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
MUFC said:
You have a very good chance to apply according to the current law.

It seems like they will procrastinate the cut off date.
Would be interesting and beneficial if they procrastinate.

Where are you getting this info (source)? Any news?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Local MP offices and some immigration lawyers.

Most of the calling centre agents are just saying the date 19.June.2015 based just on their presumption, but there are some agents who seem more knowledgeable and they are saying that in will be effective in the second half of 2015.

The Minister also have said that it will be implemented sometime in the next summer during the citizenship test in Scarborough last month.

Everything is leading to procrastination.

nadeem55

Aug 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
15-04-2011
Nomination.....
????
AOR Received.
25-05-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with the initial application to CIO
File Transfer...
20-06-2011 to Buffalo
Med's Request
22-02-2013 from Ottawa
Med's Done....
27-02-2013
Interview........
Wavied :)
Passport Req..
05-04-2013 via Email
VISA ISSUED...
06 May, 2013
LANDED..........
11 May, 2013 Landed Immigrant :)
Hi MUFC,

I would really hope if your golden words will come true :) but all the speculation and rumors arising these days and majority of people are expected that the rest of provision of Bill C 24 will come in effect sooner than expected as so of the laws where CIC never stated in the Gazette and become law without further notice to the public.

Here's a senior response from another forum:

On the contrary, Bill C-24 has already become law, the entirety of the Act having been adopted and given Royal Assent June 19, 2014.

The provisions in Bill C-24 which amend section 5 of the Citizenship Act, to implement the four years in six physical presence requirement, have not yet come into force. While the Act specifically states that these provisions will "come into force" on a date to be determined by the Governor General in Council, in practice that means the Prime Minister's cabinet chooses the date, which in this government means it will be decided by the PMO (Prime Minister's Office), and it is quite likely that a date has already been decided upon.

As I said, in June the press releases from CIC said that the new residency provisions would come into force in about a year.

If it goes beyond a year, it could indeed be July of 2015.

My guess is that it will be less than a year, but no later than July 1, 2015. Just a guess, but one based on observing how this government has approached changes to immigration and citizenship since Harper became Prime Minister.

It warrants noting that some of the more profound changes to the Citizenship Act, including a dramatic shift in authority from Citizenship Judges to the Minister, thus in effect to Citizenship Officers, came into force on August 1, this year, with NO advance notice given to the public (beyond the public information about Bill C-24 having been adopted and receiving Royal Assent), CIC online information reflecting some of the changes later in the day on which those changes took effect, that is on August 1st, and official notice of the changes, including changes to Citizenship Regulations, not published in the Gazette until many days later.

For additional context, early this year CIC implemented other changes not based on changes to the governing law (statutory or regulation), such as doubling the required fee and adding documentation to be included with the application, likewise without any advance notice.

Even if there is some advance notice as to when the new residency requirement kicks in, it is likely to be minimal. Early this year, before Bill C-24 was even tabled, Minister Alexander had suggested changes would be implemented before the year's end. Best guess, thus, is that the new residency requirement will indeed come into force (it is already law) sometime between that suggested date (by end of this year) and the expressed expectation at the time Royal Assent was received, that it would be take effect in approximately a year (meaning mid-June next year).

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's the thing. Everybody are just guessing, but this is normal since there is absolutely no official information.

Here is what I know from a local MP office about the new residency requirements ...

This change can't be enforced without at least 1 year training of the staff according to the new rules. This is internal policy at the CIC office. At the end of August that training didn't started yet.

So because of technical and organisational reasons the cut off date is expected to be procrastinated and everybody who will be eligible to apply for citizenship July and August 2015 have a really good chance to do so.

I am not expecting any time soon an official statement from them about the cut off date.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
That's the thing. Everybody are just guessing, but this is normal since there is absolutely no official information.

Here is what I know from a local MP office about the new residency requirements ...

This change can't be enforced without at least 1 year training of the staff according to the new rules. This is internal policy at the CIC office. At the end of August that training didn't started yet.

So because of technical and organisational reasons the cut off date is expected to be procrastinated and everybody who will be eligible to apply for citizenship July and August 2015 have a really good chance to do so.

I am not expecting any time soon an official statement from them about the cut off date.
MUFC,

No offense here, but you seemed obsessed over the official 4 / 6 rule date and banking on CIC delaying the date as long as possible.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All I am trying to say is that everybody who will be eligible to apply next year July or August have a really good chance.

So if these people want to apply according to the current rule, they should not leave the country, because it seems that the cut off date will be announced without that much of notice in advance.

They can announce the cut off date June July or August.

OTTAWA2013

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
LANDED PR 2009
hello all:

I have looked at how long it took to adopt the latest immigration-related bill, "Faster removals of foreign criminals act", which also was a subject of heated discussions:
Oct 2012 introduced
Feb 2013 passed third reading and off to senate
June 2013 Royal Assent.
I expect similar timelines for the citizenship bill.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Hello Screech, it might seem some people are overly obsessed about 4/6 rule, and in my opinion they should be. Because this batch of applicants will apply with 3 yr of residency and get their case processed in 1 yr under new decision model.

screech339 said:
MUFC,

No offense here, but you seemed obsessed over the official 4 / 6 rule date and banking on CIC delaying the date as long as possible.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
Hello Screech, it might seem some people are overly obsessed about 4/6 rule, and in my opinion they should be. Because this batch of applicants will apply with 3 yr of residency and get their case processed in 1 yr under new decision model.
Why worry about it? Apply as soon as you qualify. It is simple as that. If the new rule come into effect before you qualify under the old rule, it is tough luck. I know it sucks. The line has to be drawn at some point. You can't spend your life worrying about something that hasn't some into effect just yet.

If you just meet the qualification at the skin of your teeth by staying in Canada under the old rule, then do just that. If you want to plan vacation go ahead and do that and if it means missing the 3/4 rule because of it, so be it. But you can't expect to have your cake and eat it too by having it both ways. You either enjoy your vacation or be miserable worrying about your citizenship qualification while on vacation. Plan around it, plan your vacation to leave after you qualify under the 3/4 rule. That way you can still have your vacation and qualify under the old rule. If the new rule go into effect on time, you still have to wait another year and doesn't affect any vacation plan.

If you happen to fall into those who may qualify in June/July 2015 timeframe, you have to ask yourself this. Which is more important? Qualifying for citizenship under the old 3/4 rule on a date you don't even know the official date is or going on vacation. Worst comes to worst, you wait another year (Up to two more years for those who want to use pre-PR days towards citizenship)

Screech339