20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
nadeem55 said:
To me just for using medical resources doesn't mean Canadian of Convenience, can anyone ask screech339 how many cases he has seen or analyze? Those are few and far between, anyway, useless conversation with self-proclaimed data.

Moreover, we're talking about Bill C-24 and not the Canadian of Convenience thesis.
That is your opinion. If you feel that people who never contributed to health care all their lives only to stay long enough to get citizenship and leave the country, only to come back to use canada health care for free are not canadian of convenience, that's your prerogative.

But I believe you are in the very small minority. Ask any Canadians about those who do this, they will see them as such. As much as you like to believe there is no such thing as "canadian of convenience" or try to convince others, there are always people who are "canadian of convenience" out there.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
The Canadians of convenience is a HYPE made intentionally from the government to instigate the society against the newcomers.
Even you with your past postings on here does imply that you can be perceived to be "Canadian of Convenience" as you admitted that you are only staying in Canada only for income purposes only and will skip out as soon as you get citizenship when warranted.

I can see why you would be offended by the term "Canadian of Convenience".

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my situation I still can come back as a visitor and continue what I am doing now if I need to... I don't need to be a citizen or PR for that.

Meanwhile I made a research in case I have Canadian citizenship, well practically I don't see exactly when I would use the Canadian passport.
That's why I took the decision not to apply. Because now I see the reality.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
MUFC said:
There is practically no way, a Canadian of convenience to use a free medical care, because the coverage is lost if the person is living abroad.
When a person needs an emergency treatment they always check first what kind of active coverage the person has and the bill at the end is based on that.

The Canadians of convenience is a HYPE made intentionally from the government to instigate the society against the newcomers.
How exactly is the "lost coverage" enforced? I personally know of at least 10 cases where Canadians or PR's moved back to their home country and retained their health card. They then returned to deliver babies or have some other form of medical treatment in Canada without paying. Once the treatment was completed, they returned back to their home country. Sure, the government could theoretically go after them, but the fact remains that they have no real way of knowing. This is why I'm thrilled that the CRA and CIC finally seem to be making some efforts to integrate their systems. Perhaps using tax filings as a way to verify residency is the best way of cracking down on this fraud.

As for Canadians of Convenience being hype, do you not recall the cost that we had to bear to evacuate "Canadians" (many of which had never spent more than 1 week in Canada) from Lebanon? I'm not willing to fund one cent for such useless expenditures ever again.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
torontosm said:
How exactly is the "lost coverage" enforced? I personally know of at least 10 cases where Canadians or PR's moved back to their home country and retained their health card. They then returned to deliver babies or have some other form of medical treatment in Canada without paying. Once the treatment was completed, they returned back to their home country. Sure, the government could theoretically go after them, but the fact remains that they have no real way of knowing. This is why I'm thrilled that the CRA and CIC finally seem to be making some efforts to integrate their systems. Perhaps using tax filings as a way to verify residency is the best way of cracking down on this fraud.

As for Canadians of Convenience being hype, do you not recall the cost that we had to bear to evacuate "Canadians" (many of which had never spent more than 1 week in Canada) from Lebanon? I'm not willing to fund one cent for such useless expenditures ever again.
That is one of the major problems with the red and white ohip card. No expiration date. No photos. They can't verify the identity of the person. Ontario need to get rid of the red / white OHIP card completely.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If a person is living abroad for a long time then the healthcare coverage is canceled , I was told the same thing when I was asking about my future plans... they told me that when I come back my healthcare card will not be valid and I have to live in the province for 90 days to activate the coverage once again.

The procedure is, that when someone needs emergency treatment they always check if the person is under provincial coverage, if it not then they want to see another medical insurance.

How these people are doing this with expired cards then?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
If a person is living abroad for a long time then the healthcare coverage is canceled , I was told the same thing when I was asking about my future plans... they told me that when I come back my healthcare card will not be valid and I have to live in the province for 90 days to activate the coverage once again.

The procedure is, that when someone needs emergency treatment they always check if the person is under provincial coverage, if it not then they want to see another medical insurance.

How these people are doing this with expired cards then?
They can easily use their relatives/friends address and just show up. I was able to renew my ohip card while I was living in US. They didn't question my residency then. Only when I applied for OHIP for my two kids when I moved back. If my wife were to apply for OHIP for my kids instead of me, OHIP wouldn't have caught on to their error in lack of residency verification of me.

OHIP probably just assumed I was still living in same address since I showed up to renew OHIP despite filing my income taxes prior years as a non-resident.

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
valigap31 said:
I have been physical present since 2008, I became PR on dec 2013, I left Canada since 2008 only for 30 days, if you waited 3 years, I have waited 5years
I have been physically present since 2005, became PR in 2009 and just received citizenship in 2015. Keep trying.

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
CanadianCountry said:
As far i know "Convenience has a cost". Do you think the convenience in question comes free. The way i see it the cost runs in excess of $100,000 per person. The cost comes from getting underpaid for 3-5 years of your life.

Or maye your opinion is set in envy. Envious of those living in opulence in your home country with foreign passports. Are they living off of Canadian govt money or money of their own labors?

Or maybe you are a believer in the new-age slavery.
I don't really understand what you mean by getting underpaid? Citizenship is not designed to be someone insurance policy. If I were envious of people living abroad I would simply have remained abroad. The opulence comes from the fact that wages in the 3rd world are far lower then in the first world, it has nothing to do with actual $$ earned in either territory.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
" The opulence comes from the fact that wages in the 3rd world are far lower then in the first world, it has nothing to do with actual $$ earned in either territory. "

I dont get your comment, so you say Opulence for these people is coming from the low wages that they are earning in their home country.

mathlete said:
I don't really understand what you mean by getting underpaid? Citizenship is not designed to be someone insurance policy. If I were envious of people living abroad I would simply have remained abroad. The opulence comes from the fact that wages in the 3rd world are far lower then in the first world, it has nothing to do with actual $$ earned in either territory.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
"I don't really understand what you mean by getting underpaid?"

What do you think a doctor driving a cab is underpaid or overpaid or paid at par?

mathlete said:

Ojeola

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2012
godhelp said:
Hello Friends,

Looks like new residency requirements will
be enforced from April 20th, Monday.

thanks,
GH
Thanks for your information, but do you mind citing the source of your information? Or was that just an assumption?

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
godhelp said:
Hello Friends,

Looks like new residency requirements will
be enforced from April 20th, Monday.

thanks,
GH
Could you please let us know the source of this information.

Thank you.

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
man it is cruel to post some information like this without listing the source. I hope it is just a rumor, but I know the law can be applied any day now. April 20 just doesn't make sense because according to the 30 days notice for sending inputs the government will only have April 15-17 to review the comments.

Maybe wishful thinking but I hope the april 20 date is just another rumor. What happened with the June 1st, June 19, July 1st, August 1st, and September 1st.