+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

valigap31

Mar 8, 2015
mathlete said:
Typical immature and completely ignorant comment. I applied with 3 years physical presents. CIC then made we wait another 3.5 years. So that is a total of 6.5 years of waiting in an "ideal" situation. So when you say it will be an extra "3 years" for you after the Bill becomes law you must be forgetting that many of us have waited 3 years just for processing under the current system.
I have been physical present since 2008, I became PR on dec 2013, I left Canada since 2008 only for 30 days, if you waited 3 years, I have waited 5years

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mathlete said:
I can't agree with your reasoning. The whole point of being a Canadian citizen is living in Canada, paying your taxes here and making a life here. I agree for example that if you are employed by a Canadian company, working abroad and paying taxes in Canada you should get citizenship regardless of physical presents, I cannot agree that you should have the right as a PR to live elsewhere and still claim citizenship.
I've never said that the physical presence should not be mandatory.
I am against the fluctuating timeframe of intend to reside, because the processing time for many will be with different duration.
Instead of introducing that fluctuating clause they could have done the eligibility period longer, but once the person is eligible to apply he/she should fell free to do whatever he/she wants. Moreover like somebody reminds me I had the same problem understanding how a clerk can estimate the real intentions of another person.

Let's say me for example... couple of months ago I though that I would get benefits from the Canadian citizenship and I had the intention to stay, but later on I realize that practically the Canadian citizenship will not give me any practical benefits, so I've changed my intention and decided not to apply for citizenship. See my intention has changed in a matter of months. How a clerk will know that my intentions will stay the same for such a long period of processing time???
I am not asking you... the question is rhetorical.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
They can come back and use Canada health care without paying a dime for it while living outside Canada. They can stay out of Canada until they get a serious illness that will cost them serious money. So they can come back to Canada and get coverage right away if you go to Alberta.

I had a conversation with one person who was born in US to canadian parent, never lived in Canada. Just moved to Canada so he can sponsor his American wife and stay long enough for wife to get Canadian citizenship. Once wife gets it, they will move back to US. I believe he wants his American wife to have Canadian citizenship so that she doesn't have to worry about medical care cost in US. If one of them get cancer, they go to Canada to get free medical care. They won't have to worry about selling their house to pay for cancer treatment or any costly treatment.

If that is not called "Canadian of Convenience" I don't know what is.

If our medical care has followed the US format whereby everyone pays for their own care, then there wouldn't be any Canadian of convenience since tax payers would not be on the hook for their medical cost.

As long as there are services paid by tax payers, medical care, OAP, etc, there will always be canadian of convenience out there taking advantage of it.

In conclusion, "Canadians of convenience" is reality, not a made up word.
How this is possible in practice.
In the AHCIP website it is written that nobody is covered if he/she doesn't live in Alberta on a permanent basis?
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/cancel-coverage.html

Moving out of Alberta

If you are leaving Alberta, ensure your AHCIP coverage is cancelled.

How a person will stay covered if he/she is living abroad?

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
@MUFC, @screech,

Screech seems to be misinformed on this topic.

There is NO province or territory that a person can return and get his serious ailment taken care of under the law.

Also, you may not know the waiting times are terrible in Alberta. So going to Alberta for getting treatment is illogical.

Also, govt has the means to recover the medical costs as well. Recently happened for a family from Ontario.

MUFC said:
How this is possible in practice.
In the AHCIP website it is written that nobody is covered if he/she doesn't live in Alberta on a permanent basis?
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/cancel-coverage.html

Moving out of Alberta

If you are leaving Alberta, ensure your AHCIP coverage is cancelled.

How a person will stay covered if he/she is living abroad?

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
next week :)
screech339 said:
They can come back and use Canada health care without paying a dime for it while living outside Canada. They can stay out of Canada until they get a serious illness that will cost them serious money. So they can come back to Canada and get coverage right away if you go to Alberta.

I had a conversation with one person who was born in US to canadian parent, never lived in Canada. Just moved to Canada so he can sponsor his American wife and stay long enough for wife to get Canadian citizenship. Once wife gets it, they will move back to US. I believe he wants his American wife to have Canadian citizenship so that she doesn't have to worry about medical care cost in US. If one of them get cancer, they go to Canada to get free medical care. They won't have to worry about selling their house to pay for cancer treatment or any costly treatment.

If that is not called "Canadian of Convenience" I don't know what is.

If our medical care has followed the US format whereby everyone pays for their own care, then there wouldn't be any Canadian of convenience since tax payers would not be on the hook for their medical cost.

As long as there are services paid by tax payers, medical care, OAP, etc, there will always be canadian of convenience out there taking advantage of it.

In conclusion, "Canadians of convenience" is reality, not a made up word.
this government gets a lotttttttt of money form the taxpayers,,i doubt that 10,20,100 people who come back to canada for medical reasons exhaust all that money,,taxpayers don't only pay ''Canadians of convenience', they pay corrupt cops,,stupid cic officers and so on,,,
like someone said above this country feels more and more for a newcomer as a prison,a coast to coast prison...if i were the minister of immigration i would give citizenship to people who deserve it,people who work,dont live off welfare,pr,,as soon as they requested it,,and if after 10 years they did something really bad(not caught smoking a plant that makes them happy) i mean something really bad,,then i would strip them off their canadian citizenship,,the waiting game is stupid and worthless,,it doesnt make any difference waiting 1 month as waiting 4 years,there are a lotttt of good things this country could do for its citizens and new prs,,but they just choose not to.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
@ MUFC, @ screech,

Screech seems to be misinformed on this topic.

There is NO province or territory that a person can return and get his serious ailment taken care of under the law.

Also, you may not know the waiting times are terrible in Alberta. So going to Alberta for getting treatment is illogical.

Also, govt has the means to recover the medical costs as well. Recently happened for a family from Ontario.
All you had to do is stay in Alberta long enough to not worry about getting called for reimbursement for hospital cost. The family from Ontario left Alberta too soon to be covered thus they had to reimburse Alberta Government for the cost.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
And staying like this doesnt cost in lost income. If a person is rich maybe they wont care. But if that person is rich then they wont go to such lengths to go so far to get treatment.

So seems illogical to me.

screech339 said:
All you had to do is stay in Alberta long enough to not worry about getting called for reimbursement for hospital cost. The family from Ontario left Alberta too soon to be covered thus they had to reimburse Alberta Government for the cost.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
And staying like this doesnt cost in lost income. If a person is rich maybe they wont care. But if that person is rich then they wont go to such lengths to go so far to get treatment.

So seems illogical to me.
Yes the wait time for those with no immediate life threatening illness, will be long. Meanwhile if you have an illness that require immediate attention, you won't wait, you will be attended to immediately, after all, the wait time is based on how life threatening you have.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
I think you misunderstood me.

As you said that if Ontario couple had stayed longer in Alberta after treatment they would have avoided hospital cost. That stay after has its own cost in terms of lost income.

screech339 said:
Yes the wait time for those with no immediate life threatening illness, will be long. Meanwhile if you have an illness that require immediate attention, you won't wait, you will be attended to immediately, after all, the wait time is based on how life threatening you have.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
But the Canadian of convenience in case of emergency has to pay the big money, because practically he is not covered by the health system, because presumably he/she was living abroad for a long time and as a result the health coverage is lost for him/she.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
As far i know "Convenience has a cost". Do you think the convenience in question comes free. The way i see it the cost runs in excess of $100,000 per person. The cost comes from getting underpaid for 3-5 years of your life.

Or maye your opinion is set in envy. Envious of those living in opulence in your home country with foreign passports. Are they living off of Canadian govt money or money of their own labors?

Or maybe you are a believer in the new-age slavery.

mathlete said:
"Only that they can return to stable country provide a safe peaceful envuronment for their families." that sounds like a lot more than ZERO convenience! The country I come from is a violent cesspool hellhole. Many people have foreign citizenship's so they have an escape plan in case things go really bad. In the meantime they pay low taxes and live opulent life styles because the cost of living is far lower. You cannot defend the moral obligation of the government of Canada in wanting to prevent non-tax paying non-residents from becoming citizens. It's simply not fair to everyone else.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
But the Canadian of convenience in case of emergency has to pay the big money, because practically he is not covered by the health system, because presumably he/she was living abroad for a long time and as a result the health coverage is lost for him/she.
He/she is not covered under the health system in provinces of wait times however some provinces don't have any wait time, thus doesn't have to pay the big money up front.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They always take the number of the health card at the beginning of the treatment, how a person can show a valid coverage when that number have been expired long time ago?

nadeem55

Aug 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
15-04-2011
Nomination.....
????
AOR Received.
25-05-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with the initial application to CIO
File Transfer...
20-06-2011 to Buffalo
Med's Request
22-02-2013 from Ottawa
Med's Done....
27-02-2013
Interview........
Wavied :)
Passport Req..
05-04-2013 via Email
VISA ISSUED...
06 May, 2013
LANDED..........
11 May, 2013 Landed Immigrant :)
To me just for using medical resources doesn't mean Canadian of Convenience, can anyone ask screech339 how many cases he has seen or analyze? Those are few and far between, anyway, useless conversation with self-proclaimed data.

Moreover, we're talking about Bill C-24 and not the Canadian of Convenience thesis.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is practically no way, a Canadian of convenience to use a free medical care, because the coverage is lost if the person is living abroad.
When a person needs an emergency treatment they always check first what kind of active coverage the person has and the bill at the end is based on that.

The Canadians of convenience is a HYPE made intentionally from the government to instigate the society against the newcomers.