Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Dave01 said:
I think Australia does... Not just Canada
You are right. Australia does also allows pre-PR days as well. In fact 3 years as a temporary visitor/worker/student (pre-PR) and 1 year as PR as the max limit to qualify for citizenship.

Australia may become the lone country to allow pre-PR days towards citizenship once Canada's 4/6 year kick in.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
screech339 said:
As much as you disagree, you have to remember that you were in TEMPORARY before your PR status. Thus really your time towards citizenship qualification actually starts the day you landed as PR. US citizenship qualification only considered days spent in US as Green Card Holders. It is no difference from any other countries that offers qualification from PR status to qualify for citizenship. If I'm not mistaken, I think Canada is the only country that allowed pre-PR days. It is time for Canada to get with the times and program like every other countries.
To be clear, it not currently correct that "time towards citizenship qualification actually starts the day you landed as PR."

Current law (section 5(1)(c) of the Citizenship Act) states that time in Canada prior to the day of landing is counted toward meeting the citizenship residency requirement, to be calculated as follows:

". . . for every day during which the person was resident in Canada before his lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one-half of a day of residence . . . "

This will continue to be the law applied to all applicants who have made their application as of the day before the revised section 5 comes into force (sometime later this year).

Thus, for applicants on the cusp, such as nadeem55, so long as they submit their application in time to arrive at CIC the day before the new provisions take effect, they will be entitled to credit for time in Canada prior to landing (time within the preceding four years, credited one-half day for each day).

But the issue of applying with a shortfall looms as highly problematic, at best, and particularly so for an applicant relying on pre-landing credit.

Without going into further detail here, in response to yet another participant who is among the many on-the-cusp, in another topic I did go into detail regarding shortfall applications made in anticipation of the revised residency requirements coming into force. In that post I offered the following conclusions:

dpenabill said:
Odds are not good (may be an understatement) for any shortfall case.

Odds are far worse, approaching virtually no chance for any substantial shortfall case (more than thirty days).

Odds are far worse for any shortfall case in which the applicant is relying on credit for time in Canada prior to landing (prior to becoming a PR), particularly for any substantial shortall.

Of course this is largely an opinion. I believe, however, this is a well-informed opinion.
Part of the detail I go into there is a discussion of a recent Federal Court decision, in the Bani-Ahmad case, which involved an applicant with a shortfall who was also relying on pre-landing credit. In that case the applicant was approved by the Citizenship Judge, but the Minister's appeal was granted. The shortfall in that case was a mere seven days, and the applicant had lived in Canada for nearly ten years prior to applying for citizenship (but applied less than three years after becoming a PR, thus relying on pre-landing credit).

Overall, I think that case is illustrative of the hardline approach increasingly taken by CIC regarding shortfall cases. Any shortfall case is now, at best, a long shot. A significant shortfall case also relying on pre-landing credit is probably a very, very long shot (my guess: odds near zero unless there are highly unusual, exceptional circumstances, including compelling equitable reasons favouring the applicant).

While there has been minimal reference in the Federal Court cases to what Parliament has stated its preference is, by eliminating credit for pre-landing presence and mandating that only days actually present in Canada count (in Bill C-24), I have no doubt that the change in the law is having a substantial influence on pending cases even though technically it has no application to pending cases. Remember: the primary test for determining residency is already the actual physical presence test, so the further dominance of this test is to be expected.

For those on the cusp, the real challenge is to decide how long to wait.

I think it is likely there will be some advance notice of the actual date. How much is unknown. There is no guarantee of any. A lot of notice seems unlikely.

But for someone in a position similar to marcus66502, who will reach 1096 days as of June 3, even a little notice will be useful. Personally I think it would be risky to apply with just 1096 days of APP, especially if one can wait another week or two weeks and apply with a real margin. marcus66502 can have the application ready to go and come June, assuming the new law is not ordered to be in force as of June 1st, marcus66502 should be able to sit on the application for another two weeks without worrying much . . . send it to arrive at CIC by the 15th, say, just in case the coming into force date happens to be June 19th, 2015 (not likely in my view but possible).

It is a much harder decision for someone who will reach the 1095 day threshold in July (or anytime in June after it is too late to get the application actually delivered to CIC in Sydney by June 30th), but who feels they have a strong shortfall case (bit of an oxymoron, a "strong shortfall case" that is, since it is clear no shortfall case is anywhere near strong now . . . but rather I am referring to as strong of a case as one might have despite the shortfall) which they could submit in June. Apply with a shortfall or wait hoping that the new law does not come into force until August 1st or later?

A bit of advance notice will help many make that decision.

Note that for most, for the vast majority, it will almost certainly be a waste of time and money to apply with any significant shortfall.

A full month's advance notice could really help thousands make a more informed, practical decision. Whether the government will give that much notice remains to be seen.

For clarity, it warrants repeating that credit for time in Canada prior to landing must be given to applicants who make their application prior to the day the new provisions come into force (subject, of course, to the four year time frame and the one-half day credit rule).

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
I still want to learn what I am going to get for the time (pre-PR) the government will disregard with Bill-C24.

any extra(!) tax return,for instance?.

We,Citizenship and Immigration Canada and I,signed a contract,that is confirmation of PR, in september 2013 and it is not void unless I become a criminal.In the paper,I see no statement saying that the CIC can change the rules that might apply to my status as a PR.

The new rules should apply to new immigrants who become PRs after the date the bill fully becomes current law.PERIOD.

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

God bless Canada but not the Conservatives with this mind.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
bkara said:
I still want to learn what I am going to get for the time (pre-PR) the government will disregard with Bill-C24.

I'm not clear as to why you think you should get any extra tax return and what your pre-PR time has to do with it.

Are you referring to back tax returns covering your pre-PR time? I don't think you're going to get any extra tax return. Working in Canada while on temporary status does not entitle you to less income tax.

bkara said:
We,Citizenship and Immigration Canada and I,signed a contract,that is confirmation of PR, in september 2013 and it is not void unless I become a criminal.
Again, I'm not sure why you think your Confirmation of PR document is a contract between you and CIC. That is just an alternative document to your PR card, that proves your PR status.

bkara said:
In the paper,I see no statement saying that the CIC can change the rules that might apply to my status as a PR.
Nowhere in that COPR paper does it say that any Canadian immigration or citizenship law is etched in stone and cannot ever change either. This country has the right to change any of its laws as it sees fit for its own interests. It does not need to make that right explicit in any document it issues immigrants.

bkara said:
The new rules should apply to new immigrants who become PRs after the date the bill fully becomes current law.PERIOD.
I'm sure that's your opinion, and I'm sure it's shared by many. Unfortunately, none of us in this forum have the power to make laws of our opinions.

You sound very frustrated, that's understandable. However, judging from what you've written, your sense of what you're entitled to seems waay overblown.

In all technicality, until become a Canadian citizen, you're a foreign national and, as such, you have no standing to demand anything whatsoever from the Government of Canada. Anything you're granted, you're granted entirely by way of privilege. No, the income taxes you pay here are for having worked here and for utilizing the public services where you live. They have very little to do with having a voice in this Government.

bkara said:
Funny that you should say that because the irony is that if you're on the other end of the political spectrum, i.e. opposed to the conservatives, then you shouldn't be a big believer in God.

I'm fully aware that bill C-24 may very well make me wait another year before being eligible to apply, but I'm not taking it personally. I have no problem in principle with lengthening the residence requirement and removing pre-PR time credit. If I'm going to be a citizen of Canada, I don't want Canadian citizenship to be easy to get and easy to abuse, which is what has been true so far. Way too many people getting citizenship only for convenience, and using it as such, without any attachment to the country that gave it to them.

Speaking for myself, I know I'm never going to rule out voting for any party for the rest of my life just because their bill made me wait an extra year to qualify for citizenship. Once I'm a citizen, that's water under the bridge and irrelevant to my current and future interests. I'm going to vote for the party that best appears to represent my economic interests, and if that happens to be the Conservatives, so be it.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Your pain is understandable but.

But what these guys are saying is you got PR with those old terms. You are welcome to keep it as such, no conditions changed. You can keep the PR for the rest of your life.

They would say that the COPR doesn't say anything of citizenship.

bkara said:

We,Citizenship and Immigration Canada and I,signed a contract,that is confirmation of PR, in september 2013 and it is not void unless I become a criminal.In the paper,I see no statement saying that the CIC can change the rules that might apply to my status as a PR.

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
bkara said:

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Whoa! Slow down a bit, my friend. No changes to PR status or PR rules arein C 24. C24 is for citizenship. Have you signed any "contract" for citz as well?

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
dpenabill said:
But for someone in a position similar to marcus66502, who will reach 1096 days as of June 3, even a little notice will be useful. Personally I think it would be risky to apply with just 1096 days of APP, especially if one can wait another week or two weeks and apply with a real margin. marcus66502 can have the application ready to go and come June, assuming the new law is not ordered to be in force as of June 1st, marcus66502 should be able to sit on the application for another two weeks without worrying much . . . send it to arrive at CIC by the 15th, say, just in case the coming into force date happens to be June 19th, 2015 (not likely in my view but possible).
dpenabill

Can you elaborate on why you think it's risky to apply with 1096 days of actual physical presence under PR status? I have to ask because in another post you say that once an applicant meets the threshold of 1095 days of APP then s/he has met the residency requirement and no other test can be applied.

For what it's worth, a CIC Call Centre agent I spoke to told me the same thing: basically that I'm safe to apply on June 3rd with 1096 days of APP. To quote her, she said "apply right away", meaning as soon as you have 1095 days, even though she did say she knew with certainty that the new requirement will not come into force before July 1st.

I don't mind sitting on my application for another two weeks after June 3rd. The reason I want to put the application package in the mail on day 1096 is because I actually don't believe that CIC will give ANY advance notice of when the new residency requirement will come into force. I think they're just going to update the relevant parts of their website for the customer base and that's how everyone will know that the new requirement is in force.

Having said this, I will actually be biting my nails during the two days when my application will be in the delivery process before making it to CIC. They won't care that I mailed the package under the old requirement if they can say that it reached them after the new requirement came into force. So nope, beyond the 1095 day threshold, every day of waiting presents a very high risk for a costly mistake.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got the same answer from the supervisor. He said if I can accumulate at least 1095 days of physical presence the day before the application is signed and if the application is in the CIC office before 1st of July, then the application will be under the old rules and 1095 days are enough to be granted citizenship.

He was keen on the 1095 days of physical presence as the main requirement.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Heard this many times over that if you align to the left (Liberals/NDP) you are non believer of God and believers are Conservatives.

Could not disagree more.

marcus66502 said:
I'm not clear as to why you think you should get any extra tax return and what your pre-PR time has to do with it.

Are you referring to back tax returns covering your pre-PR time? I don't think you're going to get any extra tax return. Working in Canada while on temporary status does not entitle you to less income tax.

Again, I'm not sure why you think your Confirmation of PR document is a contract between you and CIC. That is just an alternative document to your PR card, that proves your PR status.

Nowhere in that COPR paper does it say that any Canadian immigration or citizenship law is etched in stone and cannot ever change either. This country has the right to change any of its laws as it sees fit for its own interests. It does not need to make that right explicit in any document it issues immigrants.

I'm sure that's your opinion, and I'm sure it's shared by many. Unfortunately, none of us in this forum have the power to make laws of our opinions.

You sound very frustrated, that's understandable. However, judging from what you've written, your sense of what you're entitled to seems waay overblown.

In all technicality, until become a Canadian citizen, you're a foreign national and, as such, you have no standing to demand anything whatsoever from the Government of Canada. Anything you're granted, you're granted entirely by way of privilege. No, the income taxes you pay here are for having worked here and for utilizing the public services where you live. They have very little to do with having a voice in this Government.

Funny that you should say that because the irony is that if you're on the other end of the political spectrum, i.e. opposed to the conservatives, then you shouldn't be a big believer in God.

I'm fully aware that bill C-24 may very well make me wait another year before being eligible to apply, but I'm not taking it personally. I have no problem in principle with lengthening the residence requirement and removing pre-PR time credit. If I'm going to be a citizen of Canada, I don't want Canadian citizenship to be easy to get and easy to abuse, which is what has been true so far. Way too many people getting citizenship only for convenience, and using it as such, without any attachment to the country that gave it to them.

Speaking for myself, I know I'm never going to rule out voting for any party for the rest of my life just because their bill made me wait an extra year to qualify for citizenship. Once I'm a citizen, that's water under the bridge and irrelevant to my current and future interests. I'm going to vote for the party that best appears to represent my economic interests, and if that happens to be the Conservatives, so be it.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
In this state of uncertainty it seems the only prudent way to go about this to apply ASAP with 1095 days.

marcus66502 said:
dpenabill

Can you elaborate on why you think it's risky to apply with 1096 days of actual physical presence under PR status? I have to ask because in another post you say that once an applicant meets the threshold of 1095 days of APP then s/he has met the residency requirement and no other test can be applied.

For what it's worth, a CIC Call Centre agent I spoke to told me the same thing: basically that I'm safe to apply on June 3rd with 1096 days of APP. To quote her, she said "apply right away", meaning as soon as you have 1095 days, even though she did say she knew with certainty that the new requirement will not come into force before July 1st.

I don't mind sitting on my application for another two weeks after June 3rd. The reason I want to put the application package in the mail on day 1096 is because I actually don't believe that CIC will give ANY advance notice of when the new residency requirement will come into force. I think they're just going to update the relevant parts of their website for the customer base and that's how everyone will know that the new requirement is in force.

Having said this, I will actually be biting my nails during the two days when my application will be in the delivery process before making it to CIC. They won't care that I mailed the package under the old requirement if they can say that it reached them after the new requirement came into force. So nope, beyond the 1095 day threshold, every day of waiting presents a very high risk for a costly mistake.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When a person manage to reach and to take information from higher CIC authority ,(Not the regular call centre agents) it looks like in the upper floors of CIC the cut off date is already clear (1st July), but for some reason they still keep the date away from the public reach.

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
marcus66502 said:

:) made my day.I did not say anything about beliefs.
Thanks.

Today`s non-citizen,tomorrow`s citizen.Let`s not undermine people.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
Heard this many times over that if you align to the left (Liberals/NDP) you are non believer of God and believers are Conservatives.

Could not disagree more.
How about this famous quote:

If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
marcus66502 said:
dpenabill

Technically, absolutely, 1095 days APP satisfies the residency requirement.

If you are absolutely certain that CIC will not doubt any two days in those 1096 days you declare to have been present, sure, no reason to accumulate any more before making the application.

It is worth remembering, however, that we all make mistakes . . . including POE officers entering data into the CBSA travel history for a client, including ourselves especially. Applying with no margin is relying on no mistakes.

Relying on no mistakes by anyone in any aspect of the process.

The no-need-for-a-margin versus better-to-apply-with-a-margin debate has been around since before I started following the process (over six years ago now), and of course it has always been a personal decision, with pros and cons both ways, taking into account a range of risks. I have always leaned toward the better-to-apply-with-a-margin view and followed my own advice in that regard (waited nearly two years to apply beyond when I initially met the 1095 days APP threshold), but I had a range of personal reasons which helped me make the decision the way I did.

But the topography of citizenship application processing has changed, significantly so.

In particular, it is worth remembering, as well, that neither CIC nor Citizenship Judges have a crystal ball. They cannot determine exactly how many days an applicant has been present. They look at the record, the applicant's submissions, and make inferences including inferences about the credibility of the applicant's case.

If CIC concludes, and persuades a CJ to do likewise, that an applicant who applied with just 1096 days has not sufficiently proven actual presence for all those days, the applicant is at risk for being denied. That was not so much the case a year ago, and not nearly so much a risk more than a couple years ago. But it appears that CIC is clamping down hard on the minimum threshold as the very minimum, and the pending implementation of the new rules changes . . . well, I suspect it changes everything.

My sense is that CIC is well aware that thousands of PRs will push to apply sooner in anticipation of beating the deadline for the new residency provisions, and as a result CIC is likely to be examining a large portion of this year's applications more critically if not skeptically. I do not know, not for sure, but my strong guess is that applicants applying in June with virtually no margin over the minimum are at risk for elevated scrutiny . . . and at the same time, if CIC has doubts about just enough days that leaves the applicant short, I am afraid CIC will be applying the strict test and pushing CJs to do likewise.

There are scores of anecdotal reports of applicants who have run into difficulty applying with less than a week's margin. But of course there are also scores of applicants who applied with very little margin and had no problems. And another group who had problems but eventually were granted citizenship.

The difference to keep in mind is the extent to which CIC is likely to be more skeptical of 2015 applicants (again knowing many will rush to beat the new law) and also more strictly enforcing the actual physical presence test. No great intellectual prowess is necessary to discern that a no-margin application this year will have more risk of failure than in prior years.

Come June 3, the question is about balancing risks: what is the risk that the change will be implemented with no notice and on a random day during the month, versus the risk of a skeptical CIC not being satisfied you actually were in Canada for each and every one of those 1096 days you declared you were.

This is another one of those very personal decisions, a judgment call only the individual can make. No one else, let alone anyone here, can reliably say what is the best course for you.

I absolutely agree there is a significant risk the change will be made with either no notice or insufficient notice to get an application off in time (even with the best, fastest courier service) to reach CIC, Sydney the day before it comes into force.

And there is the risk that day could be virtually any day.

But my personal sense is that the odds are good there will be at least a week's notice. I believe the fee increase without any advance notice last February was a bureaucratic disaster, probably resulting in CIC having to return thousands of applications (expensive and resource consuming, an anathema for this government), and that there was a lesson learned from that. But, sure, this particular Conservative government seems oblivious to lessons, not much inclined to learn from them, and these decisions are made from the top, not the top of CIC but from the PMO.

However, my personal sense is also that the odds are high the date will be the first or last day of a month, not some random day in the middle of the month.

Overall I do not envy any of those in the position of being on-the-cusp, especially those for whom having a Canadian passport can make a huge difference in business or career opportunities, or convenience of travel to visit family. I really hope this government is compassionate enough to give real notice.

In your situation, for example, if the order is made in May stating that the remaining provisions in Bill C-24 will come into force on July 1st, you and many thousands of others will know where you stand, and be able to make a better, more informed decision about when to actually shoot the application off to CIC. There will still be those for whom the tipping date is in the last week of June, and probably hundreds or even a few thousand for whom the hard decision will be to apply with a shortfall or wait . . . but in the meantime there are literally tens of thousands of PRs for whom the date will make a big difference in what they do.

One last observation about advance notice: this is an election year. The failure to give a reasonable amount of notice is so blatantly unfair that one has to expect the government to take the optics into account, at least a little. This does not mean this government is likely to give a lot of advance notice, that's not what they do, but at least a week to a month's notice seems the most likely scenario to me. But I have no personal skin-in-the-game (just a month to go to the 1st anniversary of my oath), whereas thousands just like you have something riding on the bet.

Again, I surely hope this government has enough decency to give a reasonable amount of notice. But I can fully understand why many will not trust this government to do so.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
yes dpenabill,

I know it's risky to apply with no margin, and I'm not saying I've made my final decision on this. I have about four months to do that, during which time I'm collecting all the required documents to make sure I have a complete package ready to be sent off on June 3rd, if need be.

What I'm saying is that I just don't trust this government. And when I say I don't trust them I mean that I don't even trust what they say when they do say something at long last. I've seen them change their word and go back on their word so many times in the course of my applications that they've lost any shred of trust a normal person could have.

Ease of travel advantages of a Canadian passport aside, I actually have plans to seek a career with the federal government. Based on my qualifications, I've been told my odds are decent. But, needless to say, you need to be a citizen for that, and so having to wait an extra year pushes those plans back an extra year.