+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

bigben3

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Hi,

Quick question. Do we have to file taxes if we are on E.I(Employment Insurance). And can it be used as a proof to show as Income tax filing for citizenship.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
bigben3 said:
Hi,

Quick question. Do we have to file taxes if we are on E.I(Employment Insurance). And can it be used as a proof to show as Income tax filing for citizenship.
You should be filing income taxes regardless of how you are getting compensated. Whether it is EI or child benefits and even if you are not working. You still need to file taxes if you want to gain benefits like GST rebates, child benefits etc etc.

Yes, filing income tax will show as proof for citizenship qualification.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Today and tomorrow is the last chance for those who are still wondering and having problematic applications only with basic residence to apply in the last minute.

April-June cluster will be full of such applications anyways so you all can wait together with the real and innocent applications around you. The harm is already done to those who want faster processing times so a couple of thousands more problematic extra applications wont hurt that much.

The clock is ticking guys. You have not much time to apply.

FR

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Based on the following requirement under the new law: "Adult applicants must now be physically present in Canada for at least 1,460 days (four years) during the six years before the date of their application, and they must be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days in each of four calendar years within the qualifying period. This is aimed at ensuring that citizenship applicants develop a strong attachment to Canada."

Can someone help to tell me when the exact qualifying date would be for an applicant who landed in Canada on July 1st 2012 as PR and has only been out of Canada for 40 days (if no further trips out of Canada would take place).?

The 183 days in each of four calendar years within qualifying period confuses me to know if I'll be eligible for my citizenship application around Aug 20th, 2016.

Thank you

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FR said:
Based on the following requirement under the new law: "Adult applicants must now be physically present in Canada for at least 1,460 days (four years) during the six years before the date of their application, and they must be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days in each of four calendar years within the qualifying period. This is aimed at ensuring that citizenship applicants develop a strong attachment to Canada."

Can someone help to tell me when the exact qualifying date would be for an applicant who landed in Canada on July 1st 2012 as PR and has only been out of Canada for 40 days (if no further trips out of Canada would take place).?

The 183 days in each of four calendar years within qualifying period confuses me to know if I'll be eligible for my citizenship application around Aug 20th, 2016.

Thank you
With the presumption that you didn't travel the first year after you landed
Yes you will be eligible in Aug 2016 and most probably you will get your citizenship with just few months difference compared to the people who apply now.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
FR said:

Thank you
Mid-August 2016, as soon as the 1460 days presence requirement is met, assuming all other requirements are met.

The 183 X 4 Calendar Years requirement is met in the years 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.

If none of the 40 days absent were in 2012, then that year would qualify as one of the 183 days in the CY years, but since the PR has to wait well into the second half of 2016 before reaching the 1460 threshold, 2012 does not matter for purposes of the 183 X 4 CY requirement.

FR

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Thanks a lot. This made it clearer. My hopes and best wishes for those who have applied in June 2015 so that their applications go through easily and they obtain their citizenship asap.

Thanks again

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
FR said:
Thanks a lot. This made it clearer. My hopes and best wishes for those who have applied in June 2015 so that their applications go through easily and they obtain their citizenship asap.

Thanks again
I honestly don't think that anyone who applied before the deadline are going to get their citizenship ASAP.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
I honestly don't think that anyone who applied before the deadline are going to get their citizenship ASAP.
Me too. Right now is a big mess in CIC

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
MUFC said:
With the presumption that you didn't travel the first year after you landed
Yes you will be eligible in Aug 2016 and most probably you will get your citizenship with just few months difference compared to the people who apply now.

Adding some future travel, July/August 2016 should be the date for me as well

I can understand why there is such a short notice, and even why the media is mostly quiet about the effective date, but what was the point of using this specific date (11th June)?

It seems to me as if the order from above was issued end of May and seemed like "Implement as soon as physically possible, and with minimal notice"
What is the rush? Why couldn't it wait until June-19th or July 1st or any other arbitrary date before the elections?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DND said:
Adding some future travel, July/August 2016 should be the date for me as well

I can understand why there is such a short notice, and even why the media is mostly quiet about the effective date, but what was the point of using this specific date (11th June)?

It seems to me as if the order from above was issued end of May and seemed like "Implement as soon as physically possible, and with minimal notice"
What is the rush? Why couldn't it wait until June-19th or July 1st or any other arbitrary date before the elections?
I think a huge reason for that a little bit early date was to stop the overwhelming huge volume of frantic rushing people, because there is a big possibility of another slow moving batch Aril May and June in addition with the old backlog is really a big problem for proper fast processing.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have few questions and if anyone can attempt to provide me a response, would be good:

I understand that the Bill C-24, now a law will be implemented from June 11, 2015 -

a) If someone became a Citizen on say Jan 2015, is he/she leased by the 'intent to stay' provision?
b) Can his/her's Canadian Citizenship be revoked if he/she meets the criteria of the Bill C-24, even though he/she became a Citizen before June 11, 2015?
c) for the 183 days of physical stay, will CIC look/count from Jan 1, to Dec 31 of all the 6 years/4 years? or is it the date of the becoming a PR?

Thanks

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am just guessing but I think that the total volume of applications which will be received between April and June will equal approx. the total amount of the applications which have been received from July(2014)-March(2015) cluster.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
sept15 said:
I have few questions and if anyone can attempt to provide me a response, would be good:

I understand that the Bill C-24, now a law will be implemented from June 11, 2015 -

a) If someone became a Citizen on say Jan 2015, is he/she leased by the 'intent to stay' provision?
b) Can his/her's Canadian Citizenship be revoked if he/she meets the criteria of the Bill C-24, even though he/she became a Citizen before June 11, 2015?
c) for the 183 days of physical stay, will CIC look/count from Jan 1, to Dec 31 of all the 6 years/4 years? or is it the date of the becoming a PR?

Thanks
a) NO, because the "intend to reside" only applies to period from citizenship application submittal to day of oath.

b) Only if the person has dual citizenship and is CONVICTED in court of LAW of TERRORISM. Remember it also applies to those born in Canada with dual citizenship as well. Not naturalized PR's only.

c) It is my understanding that it is the Jan 1st to Dec 31 calendar year. But personally think it is the 12 month calendar year from day of PR. I can't say for sure.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
a) NO, because the "intend to reside" only applies to period from citizenship application submittal to day of oath.

b) Only if the person has dual citizenship and is CONVICTED in court of LAW of TERRORISM. Remember it also applies to those born in Canada with dual citizenship as well. Not naturalized PR's only.

c) It is my understanding that it is the Jan 1st to Dec 31 calendar year. But personally think it is the 12 month calendar year from day of PR. I can't say for sure.
thanks screech