+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ottomancan said:
I just called CIC and the officer said the rule has been suspended so he said it is not coming in force on June 19th,2015 . He said the plan was to do that but it has changed and they do not know. So I assume we couple more mounts for Bill-C24 to come in force :) :)
I think it has something to do with federal elections this year. If Conservatives win, they will implement the rule.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
rajmalhotra7 said:
I think it has something to do with federal elections this year. If Conservatives win, they will implement the rule.
you caught the exact idea I have. This keep everybody away from blames to fail the party.

staralihaider

VIP Member
Jun 19, 2010
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All.

I just call CIC. They said we informed for rule implementation date 19th June but now they suspend this date and didnt giving any future date so we dont know this year or may be in 2016. They said they will give notice like 2 weeks or month

staralihaider

VIP Member
Jun 19, 2010
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ohms said:
interesting news ottomancan.. I'll try to call to see if this news is consistent.
I do understand that many believe that call centre info is probably not accurate. but I think they are still the closest to the info source. definitely one step closer than we are. anyway I am not an expert like MUFC or dpennbill and haven't really done a lot of research.. just a casual reader of this forum.. will let you know what I'm told on the call
Yes they are still the closest to the info source. definitely one step closer than we are.

bananaman

Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ari5323 said:
I'm rubbing my eyes, to make sure what I'm reading.
I'm punching my self to make sure I'm not sleeping.
What's going on ? Are they going to skip the first dangerous day ? "July first" ???
Not quite... just a periodic rehash of the same things that have been said over the last 147 pages. No news here...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Reminder 1: still no real news; there is, still, only speculation.

Reminder 2: within the range of reasonable probabilities, that is what is more than merely possible even if unlikely, it is feasible that the coming-into-force date for the remaining key provisions in the SCCA, could be delayed for a very significant period of time. As I have discussed before, in addition to constitutional challenges posed by Galati, which are now before the Federal Court of Appeals, there are at least potential constitutional questions regarding the procedural changes included in the SCCA. I doubt there will be a significant delay, let alone one into 2016, but it is more than a mere possibility . . . and some tangled legal wrangling in the background, particularly relative to the procedural aspects, could be a cause for some delay.

Reminder 3: most likely scenario continues to be that the new requirements will take effect between the end of this month and the beginning of August, but beyond that there are additional, real possibilities, and within that we still really have no new information, no reason to elevate any of our guesses to a status deserving influence in any real decision-making.

Reminder 4: In the meantime, while to some extent watching the back-and-forth speculations and rumours and hopeful wishes and dire fears is entertaining, on a par with typical internet posting soap opera soap boxes, the big reminder is that there are indeed many, many PRs for whom this is a real issue, a real question. While life itself is not at stake, for many there are genuinely serious concerns and potential consequences hanging in the balance. It is worth keeping this in mind amidst the constant flurry of suppositions.

RAY2112

Jul 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sooo.. :) you are saying 1+1=4-2 :). Buddy nothin will happen this year. This is my bet 8)

dpenabill said:
Reminder 1: still no real news; there is, still, only speculation.

Reminder 2: within the range of reasonable probabilities, that is what is more than merely possible even if unlikely, it is feasible that the coming-into-force date for the remaining key provisions in the SCCA, could be delayed for a very significant period of time. As I have discussed before, in addition to constitutional challenges posed by Galati, which are now before the Federal Court of Appeals, there are at least potential constitutional questions regarding the procedural changes included in the SCCA. I doubt there will be a significant delay, let alone one into 2016, but it is more than a mere possibility . . . and some tangled legal wrangling in the background, particularly relative to the procedural aspects, could be a cause for some delay.

Reminder 3: most likely scenario continues to be that the new requirements will take effect between the end of this month and the beginning of August, but beyond that there are additional, real possibilities, and within that we still really have no new information, no reason to elevate any of our guesses to a status deserving influence in any real decision-making.

Reminder 4: In the meantime, while to some extent watching the back-and-forth speculations and rumours and hopeful wishes and dire fears is entertaining, on a par with typical internet posting soap opera soap boxes, the big reminder is that there are indeed many, many PRs for whom this is a real issue, a real question. While life itself is not at stake, for many there are genuinely serious concerns and potential consequences hanging in the balance. It is worth keeping this in mind amidst the constant flurry of suppositions.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ari5323 said:
My bet. They will implement it on a day somewhere around July-sep not earlier than July and not later than sep.
closer to the federal election date is a huge mistake in my opinion. Especially after they lost the popularity in Alberta.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think right now for what has happened in different provincial election, the smart move is to have the implementation date after the federal election

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
More speculation:

What if we have been looking at it wrong all along? What if this part of Bill C-24 depends on changes to some other act. Maybe Harper was planning to pass the other bill within a year, but now there is no time or the other bill affects more people too close to the election? I am just guessing here. Maybe the new requirement to file tax returns depends on changes in a tax act. May be they can't require just PRs to file tax returns and have to require all citizens. Such change can be very unpopular with Harperites.

If we can find which bill the remaining provisions of C-24 depend on (if there is such bill), then by God's grace we may have a chance.

irfan777

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Please don't predict or bet!

Nothing is confirmed as of now.

The date of implementation depends upon various factors which CIC and Government is keeping an eye on. Since I am also following it closely, to me nothing looks happening in the next 6 to 10 months.

So relax and have fun.