+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The article is in Spanish. Having read it again I clarify that it was not the Minister but Nicole Girard, Director General, Citizenship and Multiculturalism (CIC).

The important paragraph is quoted:

"Otro de los puntos que se clarificó es el de cuándo va a comenzar a funcionar el requisito de que la persona tenga que cumplir cuatro años de residencia física en Canadá, en un periodo de seis años, para poder hacer la solicitud de ciudadanía. Quedó claro que este cambio va a ser efectivo a partir del 19 de junio del 2015, lo que significa que las personas que en este momento se encuentren en posición de iniciar su trámite de ciudadanía deberían hacerlo lo más pronto posible."

The google translation that is pretty good is:

"Another point to be clarified is when it will begin operating the requirement that the person has to play four years of physical residence in Canada, over a period of six years to complete the citizenship application. It was clear that this change will be effective from June 19, 2015, which means that people who are currently in a position to start their citizenship process should do so as soon as possible."

This was said in a meeting with Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants, CAPIC Calgary.

I'm trying to share the link but I receive this message "Sorry, you are not allowed to post links.".
Maybe I don't have enough posts in this forum but you can google the paragraph in Spanish and the first one in appear is the source link.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://toronto.hispanocity.com/blog/vilma-filici/ciudadanos-fuera-de-canada-no-perderian-nacionalidad

Well thank you for providing just another guess from immigration consultant Vilma Filici.

Meanwhile from now on please provide links which include the real date from the following websites...

The real date will be published here on the following sources of official confirmed information

The website of the Parliament
The Gazette
The news section from the CIC site.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The reference to June 19th as the effective date is purportedly a quote from Nicole Girard, the Director General, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Branch in the Department of CIC.

If it was a precise quote, that would be real news. I doubt, however, that it was a direct quote.

Particularly since this was at a conference in Alberta last November, and there has been virtually no subsequent confirmation (albeit June 19th gets a lot of speculative nods), there is little or no reason to think this dated report indicates the precise date, but like most statements from the government is a reference to an approximate date, and the actual date . . . which as oft noted here . . . remains unknown but could be any day now.

Nicole Girard is, however, a serious source, and what she says warrants serious attention. In fact, I believe that Girard is among those few in CIC who may have actually played a real and substantial role in the drafting of Bill C-24, and she has been a significant player on the political side of CIC for many years. And, frankly, I would trust her to be a more informed source than the Minister himself (Chris Alexander), since my impression is she is someone who has actually been engaged in the process, from drafting to implementation (whereas Chris Alexander is more or less a spokesperson, a front man). In fact, while I doubt that more than a very few at CIC know the precise date, she is probably one of those few who do.

In contrast, the report of this quote comes from a consultant, and I tend to be skeptical of Canada's immigration consultants generally, even though much of my skepticism is actually more about unauthorized consultants than those who are legitimately registered (notwithstanding the story a couple weeks ago about one more authorized consultant being charged with voluminous counts of fraud). And while I cannot read Spanish, I can glean enough from crude translations of the blog post (which contains this reference to what Nicole Girard purportedly said last November) to recognize the extent to which this reporter/consultant did not have a clear or grounded understanding of the SCCA (which is not surprising since the work such consultants actually do is far more focused on immigration than citizenship).

So I am not sure the reporter/consultant was actually quoting Nicole Girard, paraphrasing, or to what extent the reporter/consultant even got what was said right.

I suspect it was a more vague statement than that reported in the blog. But if that was something that Nicole Girard said more recently, that the revised law will be effective June 19th, yeah, sure, that would be news.

But this was not recent. And it does not appear to have been a precise quote.

By the way: The Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants maintains a news and events page at its website, and while it is not an official source it is likely to be among sources which will post the news promptly whenever the Governor in Council actually makes the order fixing the date that the revised residency requirements will come into force. I do not know what sources the Association may have beyond those sources many here are following, but perhaps there will be news of the order at a site like this before the order is publicized in more official sites like the Parliament website, the Gazette, or the CIC news pages.

In the meantime, for those on-the-cusp, for those who are looking at a date in June as the best time to submit their application and worried about getting the application in before the cutoff date, I would not be banking on June 19th being the date, even though June 19th remains among the top five guesses circulating the internet and in some office pools it seems to be the second favourite, while July 1st is still topping the odds makers list (and I am clinging to my June 1st guess like a stubborn old man).

Another in the meantime and by the way: The Canadian Bar Association's National Immigration Law Conference is scheduled for May 7-9 and Minister Chris Alexander is scheduled to be the keynote speaker, so if we do not learn more before then, we may learn more when there is news posted about what the Minister said at that conference . . . he is sure to be specifically asked about the coming into force date.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If Nicole Girard have said that it would have been quoted in a lot of places until now and most of the consultants would publish the date as definitive long time ago.

Here we have just another personal guess from a small blog page of an immigrant consultant.

In that material there is no quotation from Nicole Girard because she have never said that. This is just a personal presumption from the consultant.

Follow and trust only the official and confirmed information coming from reliable and trusted sources.

For the same reason I'm 100% sure that such interview where any date is mentioned from important high level person simply doesn't exists.

dpenabill said:
Another in the meantime and by the way: The Canadian Bar Association's National Immigration Law Conference is scheduled for May 7-9 and Minister Chris Alexander is scheduled to be the keynote speaker, so if we do not learn more before then, we may learn more when there is news posted about what the Minister said at that conference . . . he is sure to be specifically asked about the coming into force date.
If there is a date mentioned on that Conference, then yes it can be taken as a serious source and definitive real date. So lets wait until then, because most likely there will be nothing official before that.

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
the CIC supposed to be legally obliged to share an offical date of implementation of all the sections of the bill.
They tell us to file our taxes until the end of April.Cool.But when it comes to them releasing information.NO.

This is not democracy.Just fooling people.Then no wonder why people do things against the governments.

Another bull*censored word* decision of the canadian parliament.
hopefully there will not be a conservative government again.

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
CIC had published before that they reduced their backlog from 350K to 250K applications by the end of November 2014. They haven't published any new stats since then. I know their intention is to have a JIT system with a capacity of 150K by Spring 2016. I think they are ahead of schedule but there is no evidence to support my reasoning, but at least that means that information flow between CIC and the applicants should flow quicker and more efficient now.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

buddhaB said:
the CIC supposed to be legally obliged to share an offical date of implementation of all the sections of the bill.
They tell us to file our taxes until the end of April.Cool.But when it comes to them releasing information.NO.

This is not democracy.Just fooling people.Then no wonder why people do things against the governments.

Another bull*censored word* decision of the canadian parliament.
hopefully there will not be a conservative government again.
1. They are obligated to publish the date of any changes in legislation, but there is nothing in law as to say how long the notice has to be before implementation. Look at laws that effect the stock markets in Canada, they are only announced after the Stock markets have closed for the day.

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. They are obligated to publish the date of any changes in legislation, but there is nothing in law as to say how long the notice has to be before implementation. Look at laws that effect the stock markets in Canada, they are only announced after the Stock markets have closed for the day.
that is called being an ass.

Sometimes people who move to the US are right.

valigap31

Mar 8, 2015
buddhaB said:
that is called being an ass.

Sometimes people who move to the US are right.
People move from one country to different one all the time, I know a lot of British citizen who moved to New Zealand, Australia etc, I don't know why only in Canada is such a big deal.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can't publish the real cut off date, because it seems that they are not ready with the background work yet.

Looking at the official facts:

The comment period came a little bit late.
There are other provisions which are expected to be enforced before the main portion of the Bill.
The proposed law which will give the authority to CIC to share personal info, and the following establishment of business channels between other big state institutions. This proposed law is from the beginning of last month, seem also a coming to late one.

The above points came a little bit too late in order to anticipate any final definite date soon.
Therefore there is no official signs that something is coming.
They still have a lot of work to do.

June 19th is just a tentative target, but I'm also sure like dpenabill that the official effective date will be completely different.

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
OP_POP said:
Well, then move to the US, who cares!!
haha obviously you have problems with people leaving canada after they become citizens :)
Chill dude.Mind your own business.Even if you vote for conservatives 5 more times this won`t stop people enjoying their mobility freedom :)

Canadian politics is so sneaky.It is so similar to British politics :)

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:
Well thank you for providing just another guess from immigration consultant Vilma Filici.
Well, the article is not a guess. Vilma is quoting Nicole Girard in that conference. Now, if you think that Vilma Filici is lying or that Nicole Girard just said that date as she could have said another date that's a different story.

Anyway, you've to admit that you're wrong, I had a source (link) :p

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Show me the exact quotation that this date has come from the mouth of Nicole Girard and we have a deal.

As you see we have a strong scepticism that this is true.

Anyways as I said already, Thank you for providing just another guess from a small blog page showing just the personal opinion of the consultant.

Meanwhile you are free to believe that this date has come from the Minister or from Nicole Girard.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In all the article there are not quotations like "" but she clearly resumes about what Nicole Girard said in that conference. Show me where the consultant make a guess .... do you read Spanish?

I do believe that this date come from Nicole Girard. Now if there will be delays that's another history. I don't see any valid reason why Filici would lie in her article.