+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECAS no longer available?

timothyj

Mar 5, 2013
I'm a university student in Canada and recently applied through EE - according to the university's rules, if you submit a full PR application you immediately change to Canadian domestic tuition fees. But one problem: the university needs a screencap from my status in ECAS in order to prove that I have applied. They are refusing to accept screencaps from MyCIC.

ECAS does not seem to be working and I've checked with other EE applicants and they've said they never been able to check their status in ECAS, only in MyCIC. Does anyone know if ECAS is officially being phased out?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ECAS isn't available for EE applicants. Provide the e-APR received in your MyCIC inbox - that is conclusive proof that you've submitted a complete application after getting an ITA.

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
Wow! I have never heard of this before. I suggest you double check this information. As far as I know, applying for PR does not make you a domestic student. I say this because when my wife and I got our passports stamped and our confirmation of permanent residence papers, she wasn't considered a domestic student till her COPR was signed by an immigration officer.

Han

Feb 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016 :)
timothyj said:
I'm a university student in Canada and recently applied through EE - according to the university's rules, if you submit a full PR application you immediately change to Canadian domestic tuition fees. But one problem: the university needs a screencap from my status in ECAS in order to prove that I have applied. They are refusing to accept screencaps from MyCIC.

ECAS does not seem to be working and I've checked with other EE applicants and they've said they never been able to check their status in ECAS, only in MyCIC. Does anyone know if ECAS is officially being phased out?
Interesting! What university is that? AFAIK, they need CoPR to change your status to domestic!

timothyj

Mar 5, 2013
Thanks for the replies. A couple of quick clarifications:

The e-APR is the document that says "This confirms that your application for permanent residence in Canada was received by Citizenship and
Immigration Canada (CIC) via your MyCIC account on (DATE).
We have created a file with the application number provided above. You must quote this application number in any future correspondence..."

And so on, after you've paid - correct?

Also - is there any written proof that ECAS is not available for EE applicants? I need some indication of this for the university to believe me.

Mazamilam and Han - I am already a student at this university and their rules are very clear that if you are a current student and you submit a full application for permanent residency then you are converted to domestic fees. I'm one hundred percent sure of this and their staff have confirmed it - no COPR required, just proof of the application being filed (but they want proof from ECAS which is the problem I have here!). Maybe that's just the rule at this one university. However, if you are just applying for admission to this university (and not yet a student), I believe you cannot claim domestic fees unless you have a COPR. It's Carleton University in Ottawa.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
timothyj said:

The e-APR is the document that says "This confirms that your application for permanent residence in Canada was received by Citizenship and
We have created a file with the application number provided above. You must quote this application number in any future correspondence..."

Yes. Sent as an auto-acknowledgment after you submit the post ITA application along with the fee.

Also - is there any written proof that ECAS is not available for EE applicants? I need some indication of this for the university to believe me.

No written proof anywhere but CIC encourages EE applicants to verify application progress through MyCIC alone.

Mazamilam and Han - I am already a student at this university and their rules are very clear that if you are a current student and you submit a full application for permanent residency then you are converted to domestic fees. I'm one hundred percent sure of this and their staff have confirmed it - no COPR required, just proof of the application being filed (but they want proof from ECAS which is the problem I have here!). Maybe that's just the rule at this one university. However, if you are just applying for admission to this university (and not yet a student), I believe you cannot claim domestic fees unless you have a COPR. It's Carleton University in Ottawa.

wildemam

Nov 10, 2015
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Feel you. My University here asked me for certain phrasing from CIC (which they used for PhD stream before EE), stating that no interview will be needed. Until now, myCIC says it is not needed at the time. I have to wait for COPR :)

No harm. The winter term tuition are already gone :).

Han

Feb 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016 :)
timothyj said:

No, I am not applying for admission. Actually, I only have two terms to finish my PhD at University of Western Ontario. I just called them and asked. The guy was %100 sure that the rules have not changed since EE was introduced in 2015. They definitely need CoPR letter here. Good for you if they accept AOR and kind of weird because receiving AOR doesn't guarantee that you'll get PR!

All the best,

timothyj

Mar 5, 2013
Han - it must be specific to Carleton, then. The admin have been very clear that a full PR application in any form (EE or not - apparently these rules predated EE) makes you eligible for domestic tuition. The only problem is they're now very confused about what counts as proof of a full PR application, because all the staff processing this information are Canadians who don't know how the system works right now.

Wildemam - unfortunately not! If I have this proof to them by February 1, they refund my tuition for the winter semester - so I'm trying to get that!

dimbo888

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
timothyj said:
Han - it must be specific to Carleton, then. The admin have been very clear that a full PR application in any form (EE or not - apparently these rules predated EE) makes you eligible for domestic tuition. The only problem is they're now very confused about what counts as proof of a full PR application, because all the staff processing this information are Canadians who don't know how the system works right now.

Wildemam - unfortunately not! If I have this proof to them by February 1, they refund my tuition for the winter semester - so I'm trying to get that!
u can may be order GCMS notes. not too sure but i think detailed information might be there which will support your case that the application is complete.

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
timothyj said:

AOR is just a good proof as any. They should be able to accept that.