+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA from University of Toronto Comparative Education Service (CES) - My Experience

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
How many years did those programs take? I assume it may be a common 3+2 case, in which, per other posts on this thread, normally CES awards 4 years bachelors + 1-year Post-graduate diploma. It depends on the college and programs though.

praveen2019

Dec 19, 2018
How many years did those programs take? I assume it may be a common 3+2 case, in which, per other posts on this thread, normally CES awards 4 years bachelors + 1-year Post-graduate diploma. It depends on the college and programs though.
yes it was 3 +2, but IQAS provides 1 year masters in these cases ( my wife got it) but as IQAS is closed now . Any idea if CES provides this 1 year masters.
Any experiences or suggestions would help.

23abhinav

Mar 16, 2020
My wife have applied for a eca in December and we are hoping it gets completed by April but she has not paid for the physical copy.
Now my query is
1- whether we get the digital copy via CES on registered email or not?
2- If not can I ask my friend or relative to pick up the report for me?
3- If none of the above works can we pay charges for the physical delivery of eca after it gets done?

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
My wife have applied for a eca in December and we are hoping it gets completed by April but she has not paid for the physical copy.
Now my query is
3- If none of the above works can we pay charges for the physical delivery of eca after it gets done?
1- You need to pay an additional CAD$30 for digital copy. The copy gets sent the day the physical copy is sent. To request the digital copy you need to call CES and pay by phone using a debit or credit card.

2-You can ask anyone to pick it up, however, before they are able, you need to list them as a third-party for your application.

3- I didn't think you could opt out of it, but I'm guessing it is possible to pay for the physical copy delivery if you contact CES.

Jazzpanag

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10 May'22
IELTS Request
L-8,R-8,S-7.5,W-7.5
Passport Req..
25th May'22
Now my query is
Your friend can pick up ECA on your behalf but you will have to inform them prior to this,
Kindly raise a query on there portal for the same.
CES will let your know about the default format of mail for the same
In which you will be asked to send details of the peron picking ECA

Snehatm

Feb 4, 2020
Hello Everybody,
We have opted for ECA evaluation from CES for my husband's Masters on feb 11th . We have to evaluate for Bachelors degree too. Is there any way to modify it..how can we add one more credential?

Please help me

Snehatm

Feb 4, 2020
Hello all,

I thought I would share my experience with you since I don't see a lot of posts regarding UofT's CES as an option for ECA.

Firstly, I am a US citizen in the United States, and I only had my Master of Science (chemistry) from a US university assessed through CES. That being said, your results may vary. :)

My timeline:
Jan 23, 2018: Application started​
Feb 6, 2018: Application submitted​
Feb 8, 2018: Transcript sent​
Mar 22, 2018: 1. Initial Review In Progress​
2. Transcript(s) Received​
3. Initial Review Complete​
April 24, 2018: 4. Assessment in Progress​
April 25, 2018: 5. Assessment Decision Made - digital copy emailed to me; physical copy will be sent shortly ("6. Decision dispatched").​

I do not know exactly when the transcript was received because I sent it without tracking. All I know is that one day I logged in and suddenly the checklist went from nothing to steps 1-3 checked off. I do know that it usually takes 1-2 weeks for my letters to be sent from the US to Canada.

The process:
The process to apply for my ECA was, in my opinion, fairly easy, and they try to make it easy to get what you need. UofT uses the same website that they use for other School of Continuing Studies programs, so the login portal is the same as the students use.

Once you've created your profile, CES will send you an email with your (temporary) password, which you can then use to log into the student portal and click on "My Applications" on the left-hand bar to access your ECA application. You will be assigned a student number, which you see on the top right of page once you've logged in.

Under My Applications, you get a checklist of things to fill out, and if you have any questions, you can contact them either by phone or email. I had a question regarding the duration of my Masters program since it was a 5-year condensed B.A./M.Sc. program, and they responded to my email within a day. If you're wondering, I ended up listing the duration as 1 year, since I technically finished my B.A. about a year before I finished my M.Sc. Everything came out fine.

Applicants must start here. They make it very clear what your expectations should be right at the top of the page and offer a tool that explains exactly which documents you need to provide for verification depending on your country. In my case, since I'm from the US and it was a US university, I had to provide a digital copy of my transcripts (front and back), a digital copy of my actual degree (front and back), and a physical transcript sent directly from the issuing university to CES. In order to get the digital copy of my transcript for my application, I had to have a transcript sent to me so that I could scan it.

Once you've completed all the fields and made your selections, you can submit your application. You do not pay for anything until you've finished filling out your profile. The fee when I applied was $210 CAD per credential + mailing fee (if outside of Canada, or if you want tracking) + HST (13% tax on anything beyond the assessment fee).

And then... you wait. They will check off the boxes on their end as they progress through your application, although in my case, steps 1-3 were completed simultaneously, then nothing for another month, and then 4, 5, and (I'm assuming) 6 within the span of a few days. I found this page explaining what each item on their list meant to be very helpful. It's not an easy page to find, though, so I think they should provide a link to it on the application page.

Now, when I applied, the estimated processing time was 14 weeks. Additionally:

As of today, the processing time is now quoted at 12 weeks, but if you're paying attention, you'll notice that my timeline was much shorter than that. Less than 5 weeks, actually, from the date they confirmed receipt and acceptance of my documents. I'm as surprised as you are.

Results:
The soft copy emailed to me is an actual scan of the physical document that they will be sending me in the mail. CES locks the document with a code (explained in the email) to protect your privacy. CES asks you to review the document for any discrepancies and contact them within 24 hours; if they hear nothing from you, they assume that no updates are needed and dispatch your physical copies.

The document is signed by the assessor and states the equivalency both above and below the details of my M.Sc. The document is issued on watermarked paper, and the reverse side details the purpose, standards, and process involved in the ECA.

In the end, my one-ish year M.Sc. was rated as equivalent to a Canadian "Master's degree from a recognized university." :) Looking forward to creating my EE profile!
We have opted for ECA evaluation from CES for my husband's Masters on feb 11th . We have to evaluate for Bachelors degree too. Is there any way to modify it..how can we add one more credential?

Please help me

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......

Please help me
You can try to add it using AP007 Missing Documents form and contacting CES. They can give you more information. This might push back your ECA a lot. If you don't mind me asking, why do you need a Bachelor assessed if you are assessing Masters?

Vimald2v

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
I Got this email from CES,
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.

CES cannot respond to any emails received at
ces-application@utoronto.zendesk.com.

For any inquiry regarding your application, please submit a support request through our Help Centre: Support Request Form.

Dear Mr XXX,

As a part of the widespread social distancing measures happening across Canada due to COVID-19, and in alignment with provincial recommendations and the University of Toronto policy, please note that the Comparative Education Service has temporarily suspended all in-office operations effective March 18, 2020.

As we support our clients in these difficult times, we would like to reassure you of our commitment toward quality, care, transparency, and accountability, and our utmost efforts toward minimizing the inconveniences caused.

We continue to welcome, process and conduct communications on credential assessment applications, including physical documents received by our offices up to March 12-13, 2020.

Luckbychance

Star Member
Sep 29, 2019
Dear All,

I have submitted my application to CES for review of my masters degree only.

My bachelors was already assessed by WES positively for 4 years B. Tech Degree. But since they did not give me Masters, I had to get my masters assessed again by CES.

Kindly suggest for 4+2 years of degree, how will CES assess it. Also , since they do not have my bachelors degree details, will they assume that I has completed only 3 yrs of bachelors education instead of 4 yrs and assess accordingly ?
Is there a way by which I can share my positive 4 year WES ECA assessment report with them even before they ask ? Is it advisable to share ?

Looking forward to heard from the members.

Regards,

NicoleDaniela

Mar 25, 2020
Hi Guys!
I am from Colombia.
1. In the website it says i need to send my official transcripts in Spanish, someone have sent in other language (not english ) without any translation?
2.I want to submit documents in CES since my university is not listed in WES website tool. Someone has the same problem ? How can I check if my university is liste for UofT?
3.If I want to get my ECA of my specialization (program/certificate) of 1 year with CES, but I did my bachelor ECA by WES is this ok ?

Thanks for your reply !

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Dear All,

I have submitted my application to CES for review of my masters degree only.

My bachelors was already assessed by WES positively for 4 years B. Tech Degree. But since they did not give me Masters, I had to get my masters assessed again by CES.

Kindly suggest for 4+2 years of degree, how will CES assess it. Also , since they do not have my bachelors degree details, will they assume that I has completed only 3 yrs of bachelors education instead of 4 yrs and assess accordingly ?
Is there a way by which I can share my positive 4 year WES ECA assessment report with them even before they ask ? Is it advisable to share ?

Looking forward to heard from the members.

Regards,
Where did you do your Masters? If it was in India, I have seen mixed results, some people get Masters equivalency others 1-year PG diploma equivalency. Technically, you could send them additional documents, but I think that they would not take your WES ECA into consideration because it is from another agency. Did WES give you 1-year PG equivalency for your Masters? Or did they give you 4-year Bachelors equivalency with your 2 diplomas (4+2)?

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi Guys!
I am from Colombia.
1. In the website it says i need to send my official transcripts in Spanish, someone have sent in other language (not english ) without any translation?
2.I want to submit documents in CES since my university is not listed in WES website tool. Someone has the same problem ? How can I check if my university is liste for UofT?
3.If I want to get my ECA of my specialization (program/certificate) of 1 year with CES, but I did my bachelor ECA by WES is this ok ?

Thanks for your reply !
1. CES does not require a translation for the official transcripts, but all other documents should be translated
2. I don't think CES has a "list" of recognized universities like WES does
3. That is perfectly fine. You can have multiple ECAs done by different agencies

NicoleDaniela

Mar 25, 2020
Hi Guys!
1. I have another question, it is neccesary to fill the form "Request-Official-Academic-Records " if i am sending myself the envelope to CES?
2. In the envelope I should only send this official record, no my degree or anything else right ?

Thanks !