+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA from University of Toronto Comparative Education Service (CES) - My Experience

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Hello all,

I thought I would share my experience with you since I don't see a lot of posts regarding UofT's CES as an option for ECA.

Firstly, I am a US citizen in the United States, and I only had my Master of Science (chemistry) from a US university assessed through CES. That being said, your results may vary. :)

My timeline:

Jan 23, 2018: Application started
Feb 6, 2018: Application submitted
Feb 8, 2018: Transcript sent
Mar 22, 2018: 1. Initial Review In Progress
2. Transcript(s) Received
3. Initial Review Complete
April 24, 2018: 4. Assessment in Progress
April 25, 2018: 5. Assessment Decision Made - digital copy emailed to me; physical copy will be sent shortly ("6. Decision dispatched").​

I do not know exactly when the transcript was received because I sent it without tracking. All I know is that one day I logged in and suddenly the checklist went from nothing to steps 1-3 checked off. I do know that it usually takes 1-2 weeks for my letters to be sent from the US to Canada.

The process:
The process to apply for my ECA was, in my opinion, fairly easy, and they try to make it easy to get what you need. UofT uses the same website that they use for other School of Continuing Studies programs, so the login portal is the same as the students use.

Once you've created your profile, CES will send you an email with your (temporary) password, which you can then use to log into the student portal and click on "My Applications" on the left-hand bar to access your ECA application. You will be assigned a student number, which you see on the top right of page once you've logged in.

Under My Applications, you get a checklist of things to fill out, and if you have any questions, you can contact them either by phone or email. I had a question regarding the duration of my Masters program since it was a 5-year condensed B.A./M.Sc. program, and they responded to my email within a day. If you're wondering, I ended up listing the duration as 1 year, since I technically finished my B.A. about a year before I finished my M.Sc. Everything came out fine.

Applicants must start here. They make it very clear what your expectations should be right at the top of the page and offer a tool that explains exactly which documents you need to provide for verification depending on your country. In my case, since I'm from the US and it was a US university, I had to provide a digital copy of my transcripts (front and back), a digital copy of my actual degree (front and back), and a physical transcript sent directly from the issuing university to CES. In order to get the digital copy of my transcript for my application, I had to have a transcript sent to me so that I could scan it.

Once you've completed all the fields and made your selections, you can submit your application. You do not pay for anything until you've finished filling out your profile. The fee when I applied was $210 CAD per credential + mailing fee (if outside of Canada, or if you want tracking) + HST (13% tax on anything beyond the assessment fee).

And then... you wait. They will check off the boxes on their end as they progress through your application, although in my case, steps 1-3 were completed simultaneously, then nothing for another month, and then 4, 5, and (I'm assuming) 6 within the span of a few days. I found this page explaining what each item on their list meant to be very helpful. It's not an easy page to find, though, so I think they should provide a link to it on the application page.

Now, when I applied, the estimated processing time was 14 weeks. Additionally:
The estimated processing times are based on the date that the application and all required official documents from the awarding bodies are received and accepted by our office.
As of today, the processing time is now quoted at 12 weeks, but if you're paying attention, you'll notice that my timeline was much shorter than that. Less than 5 weeks, actually, from the date they confirmed receipt and acceptance of my documents. I'm as surprised as you are.

Results:
The soft copy emailed to me is an actual scan of the physical document that they will be sending me in the mail. CES locks the document with a code (explained in the email) to protect your privacy. CES asks you to review the document for any discrepancies and contact them within 24 hours; if they hear nothing from you, they assume that no updates are needed and dispatch your physical copies.

The document is signed by the assessor and states the equivalency both above and below the details of my M.Sc. The document is issued on watermarked paper, and the reverse side details the purpose, standards, and process involved in the ECA.

In the end, my one-ish year M.Sc. was rated as equivalent to a Canadian "Master's degree from a recognized university." :) Looking forward to creating my EE profile!

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
As I've now received my paper copies in the mail, I wanted to add a little bit to the end of this post.

Additional timeline:
04/27/2018: Approved. Decision dispatched.
05/05/2018: Documents received (US mail).​

They sent the (2) paper copies in a folder inside of a large envelope marked as coming from the University of Toronto's School of Continuing Studies. The presentation is very professional. Inside they also include a sheet thanking you for using their service and asking you to review your reports and get back to them within 30 days if there are any discrepancies. They also offer a $200 discount on a course should you decide to enroll in some studies. Overall, I am quite pleased with the results and will be using the UofT reports in my application.

MalikM

Oct 21, 2018
I have a question .
I have done Bachelors from Different University and Master from different.
So I have to send physical Copy of degree from (Master University) only ?

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I have a question .
I have done Bachelors from Different University and Master from different.
So I have to send physical Copy of degree from (Master University) only ?
It doesn't really matter if you completed your degrees at the same school or different schools. If you are confident that your master's is equivalent to a Canadian master's, you may choose to only have your master's degree evaluated. When I submitted my documents, I did not have to send a physical copy of my master's degree, only a scanned copy. I did, however, have to ask my school to send a copy of my transcripts to CES. This may be because I'm from the US, whereas in other countries the required documentation could be different.

Reactions: Sidrafarrukh

writetomehere

Sep 26, 2018
Hello all,

I thought I would share my experience with you since I don't see a lot of posts regarding UofT's CES as an option for ECA.

Firstly, I am a US citizen in the United States, and I only had my Master of Science (chemistry) from a US university assessed through CES. That being said, your results may vary. :)

My timeline:

Jan 23, 2018: Application started
Feb 6, 2018: Application submitted
Feb 8, 2018: Transcript sent
Mar 22, 2018: 1. Initial Review In Progress
2. Transcript(s) Received
3. Initial Review Complete
April 24, 2018: 4. Assessment in Progress
April 25, 2018: 5. Assessment Decision Made - digital copy emailed to me; physical copy will be sent shortly ("6. Decision dispatched").​

I do not know exactly when the transcript was received because I sent it without tracking. All I know is that one day I logged in and suddenly the checklist went from nothing to steps 1-3 checked off. I do know that it usually takes 1-2 weeks for my letters to be sent from the US to Canada.

The process:
The process to apply for my ECA was, in my opinion, fairly easy, and they try to make it easy to get what you need. UofT uses the same website that they use for other School of Continuing Studies programs, so the login portal is the same as the students use.

Once you've created your profile, CES will send you an email with your (temporary) password, which you can then use to log into the student portal and click on "My Applications" on the left-hand bar to access your ECA application. You will be assigned a student number, which you see on the top right of page once you've logged in.

Under My Applications, you get a checklist of things to fill out, and if you have any questions, you can contact them either by phone or email. I had a question regarding the duration of my Masters program since it was a 5-year condensed B.A./M.Sc. program, and they responded to my email within a day. If you're wondering, I ended up listing the duration as 1 year, since I technically finished my B.A. about a year before I finished my M.Sc. Everything came out fine.

Applicants must start here. They make it very clear what your expectations should be right at the top of the page and offer a tool that explains exactly which documents you need to provide for verification depending on your country. In my case, since I'm from the US and it was a US university, I had to provide a digital copy of my transcripts (front and back), a digital copy of my actual degree (front and back), and a physical transcript sent directly from the issuing university to CES. In order to get the digital copy of my transcript for my application, I had to have a transcript sent to me so that I could scan it.

Once you've completed all the fields and made your selections, you can submit your application. You do not pay for anything until you've finished filling out your profile. The fee when I applied was $210 CAD per credential + mailing fee (if outside of Canada, or if you want tracking) + HST (13% tax on anything beyond the assessment fee).

And then... you wait. They will check off the boxes on their end as they progress through your application, although in my case, steps 1-3 were completed simultaneously, then nothing for another month, and then 4, 5, and (I'm assuming) 6 within the span of a few days. I found this page explaining what each item on their list meant to be very helpful. It's not an easy page to find, though, so I think they should provide a link to it on the application page.

Now, when I applied, the estimated processing time was 14 weeks. Additionally:

As of today, the processing time is now quoted at 12 weeks, but if you're paying attention, you'll notice that my timeline was much shorter than that. Less than 5 weeks, actually, from the date they confirmed receipt and acceptance of my documents. I'm as surprised as you are.

Results:
The soft copy emailed to me is an actual scan of the physical document that they will be sending me in the mail. CES locks the document with a code (explained in the email) to protect your privacy. CES asks you to review the document for any discrepancies and contact them within 24 hours; if they hear nothing from you, they assume that no updates are needed and dispatch your physical copies.

The document is signed by the assessor and states the equivalency both above and below the details of my M.Sc. The document is issued on watermarked paper, and the reverse side details the purpose, standards, and process involved in the ECA.

In the end, my one-ish year M.Sc. was rated as equivalent to a Canadian "Master's degree from a recognized university." :) Looking forward to creating my EE profile!

Thank you for posting such a detailed explanation of process. Just wanted to ask you one question after reading this.

I have opted WES for the evaluation and the application is on hold now. WES has sent the transcripts back to the university asking them to verify whether those are issued by them. And my university has neither received Wes’s email nor their postal letter. So I am stuck here. By any chance you know, does CES also has a secondary evaluation custom?

Thank you.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Thank you for posting such a detailed explanation of process. Just wanted to ask you one question after reading this.

I have opted WES for the evaluation and the application is on hold now. WES has sent the transcripts back to the university asking them to verify whether those are issued by them. And my university has neither received Wes’s email nor their postal letter. So I am stuck here. By any chance you know, does CES also has a secondary evaluation custom?

Thank you.
Unfortunately I don't know for sure! I actually also had my bachelor's assessed by WES (just in case) and they never put my documents on hold for a second verification as far as I'm aware, nor did CES to my knowledge, although I was limited to the information they provided online in my account profile. I suspect it may be due to your country or the school you attended.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Out of interest, why did you use UofT's CES evaluation service instead of WES?
UofT is pretty prestigious within Canada and having them evaluate it seemed like it might carry a little more weight, haha. It was more of a whim than anything, but my boyfriend also thought it would be a good idea, so I rolled with it.

Reactions: pizzaboy99

chariizz

Dec 17, 2018
I am so anxious now. I would check the application everyday until I found your post, it gave me a better idea of what to expect. But my application is taking longer and I'm getting so anxious.
  • Started Sep 24, 2018
  • Submitted Oct 6, 2018
Today is December 16th.
I mailed my documents on October 09, 2018 and according to the tracking number they received it on October 10, 2018.

Follow Your Application Status
  • Not Complete 1. Initial Review In Progress
  • Not Complete 2. Transcript(s) Received
  • Not Complete 3. Initial Review Complete
  • Not Complete 4. Assessment In Progress
  • Not Complete 5. Assessment Decision Made
  • Not Complete 6. Decision Dispatched
I'll keep you posted guys in case someone else runs into this post and can have another experience review.
I went for UoT because of the same reasons, it's prestige, but I am kind of regretting it now.

Aliaquat

Dec 10, 2018
I want to know one thing i have my bachelors and master now i m going to chose ces for assisment of my credential.
I just want to know do i need to pay for both or just for the higher education

smhamza

Star Member
Oct 22, 2018
right now I am using CES (of University of Toronto). i am almost done with my application. my small query is: how would IRCC (or whoever is the relevant body (I am applying through Express Entry)) see the ECA?

they have some questions in their application, like, number of duplicate copies that I would require, the delivery type I desire (pickup, regular mail, courier service, etc.), and whether or not I would like to send additional copy to third party.

I wonder if I have add into any of these to make my ECA available to IRCC...... or by default (without choosing any option specifically/explicitly) ECA will be available to IRCC? can you please help?

thanks.

Reactions: APEXCANADA

khan_eeecuet

Dec 5, 2018
Dhaka
Hello ..
I was trying to pay 521 Canadian dollar to CES for ECA for my Bachelor and Masters degree. But my credit card is not allowed to pay over 395 CAD per transaction as per our country rules (any amount exceeds 395 CAD we have to give in multiple times payment). So can I pay total amount (521 CAD) by two payments ? Is it allowed in CES ?

APEXCANADA

Nov 15, 2018
right now I am using CES (of University of Toronto). i am almost done with my application. my small query is: how would IRCC (or whoever is the relevant body (I am applying through Express Entry)) see the ECA?

they have some questions in their application, like, number of duplicate copies that I would require, the delivery type I desire (pickup, regular mail, courier service, etc.), and whether or not I would like to send additional copy to third party.

I wonder if I have add into any of these to make my ECA available to IRCC...... or by default (without choosing any option specifically/explicitly) ECA will be available to IRCC? can you please help?

thanks.
Hi, I am also stopped my this question. Did you received any relevant information regarding this. Please share.

BR

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019

thanks.
You will get a "reference number" with your completed ECA that IRCC can use to look up your report with the reporting body (CES in this case). You don't have to do anything extra for IRCC to be able to access the report as long as you chose for immigration purposes.

Aryabhatt

Dec 12, 2018
Can I get my ECA done from different authorities? Say Bachelors from WES and masters from IQAS or UOT? How would this be captured in the application? Thanks