+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

E Certificate access denied after Virtual Oath

coolkid86

May 27, 2023
Hey folks,

I'm in a really tricky situation. I had my virtual oath on May 18 with MB SK office and during registration, I requested e-certificate which was accepted by the clerk. After the ceremony, I immediately emailed my signed oath form and within an hour, I received an email to create an account on IRCC portal. I was expecting e-certificate to arrive within a couple of days and hence went ahead and booked a trip overseas for early June.

It's been over a week since my ceremony and I'm still unable to access my e-certificate (tracker says in-progress). I thought the whole point of e-certificate was to quickly deliver important document to new Canadians instead of having to wait several days. I know friends of mine who've had their paper certificates delivered sooner from other offices!

I tried emailing the office and calling IRCC but I didn't get much help. The IRCC agent told me that my oath form was added to my file on May 23 but my application is not complete. I believe someone somewhere hasn't done their job properly and closed out my application.

It is unfair to ask people to cut up their PR cards, and then withhold their certificate from them. e-certificates should have the same standards as in person ceremony, the certificate should be delivered immediately after the oath.

Does anyone have any thoughts on when I can finally expect to access the document and what (if anything) can be done to speed up the process so that I still make my trip next week. Really appreciate your help!

Reactions: krish2015

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hey folks,

I'm in a really tricky situation. I had my virtual oath on May 18 with MB SK office and during registration, I requested e-certificate which was accepted by the clerk. After the ceremony, I immediately emailed my signed oath form and within an hour, I received an email to create an account on IRCC portal. I was expecting e-certificate to arrive within a couple of days and hence went ahead and booked a trip overseas for early June.

It's been over a week since my ceremony and I'm still unable to access my e-certificate (tracker says in-progress). I thought the whole point of e-certificate was to quickly deliver important document to new Canadians instead of having to wait several days. I know friends of mine who've had their paper certificates delivered sooner from other offices!

I tried emailing the office and calling IRCC but I didn't get much help. The IRCC agent told me that my oath form was added to my file on May 23 but my application is not complete. I believe someone somewhere hasn't done their job properly and closed out my application.

It is unfair to ask people to cut up their PR cards, and then withhold their certificate from them. e-certificates should have the same standards as in person ceremony, the certificate should be delivered immediately after the oath.

Does anyone have any thoughts on when I can finally expect to access the document and what (if anything) can be done to speed up the process so that I still make my trip next week. Really appreciate your help!
When u say email office is it oath ceremony email address you emailed to ? Yours is a unique case else heard you get the e-certificate within 2-3 days.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Considering you are no longer a PR your PR card is no longer valid. You’re a citizen. If you had urgent travel needs you should have let them know before your oath.

No one in their office is screwing up. It takes as long as it takes.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
So your job is to come on here and shill for the IRCC and blame everyone for their own problems because they are "too stupid" to get things right. Keep up your toxic, passive aggressive "contributions" to the forum. You can't seem to help yourself. Jumping from thread to thread talking down to people.
Everyone needs a reality check every now and then. By everyone I include myself.

Getting stuff done right from scratch might be a good thing. As opposed to complaining about their processing taking too long, or whatnot.

Also, OP only said in the title that his/her request for E-cert was denied. It didn’t say in the post that it was. Only that it wasn’t immediately available. It was requested at oath and now they have to change things. That may, or may not, take some time.

Be frustrated. That’s fine. But for the love of higher power, stop blaming them when the fault is with oneself.

• Haha
Reactions: oboyzee

canadian787

Oct 2, 2022
I am in a similar situation. Did my oath on May 24 and requested e-certificate on the spot which was approved. I sent the signed oath form immediately after the oath. Next day, early morning I received an email stating that I have been selected for e-certificate. 2 days after the oath i get another email saying that they are still waiting for my signed oath form. I called IRCC and the agent told me he could not see the oath form on my file. I resent it through email and also through webform. This happened on Friday (May 26). Lets see what happens this week.

coolkid86

May 27, 2023
Everyone needs a reality check every now and then. By everyone I include myself.

Getting stuff done right from scratch might be a good thing. As opposed to complaining about their processing taking too long, or whatnot.

Also, OP only said in the title that his/her request for E-cert was denied. It didn’t say in the post that it was. Only that it wasn’t immediately available. It was requested at oath and now they have to change things. That may, or may not, take some time.

Be frustrated. That’s fine. But for the love of higher power, stop blaming them when the fault is with oneself.
JFYI I did mention the urgent travel as the reason for wanting the e-certificate during registration. Also to clarify, my request for e-cert was approved but I was unable to access it on the portal (aka title of the post).

I'll re-iterate that it's unfair to take away people's travel documents and keep them hostage for weeks. You rightfully pointed out that as soon as someone takes the oath, they are a citizen. If they are able to provide your cert right away (by the way of e-certs), they should! For in person oath's, the standard used to be that you receive the cert right after the oath. I believe it should be the same for e-certs.

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Hey folks,

Hi @coolkid86 - Has this situation been resolved for you yet?

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
This resonates with me as well. They have no right to ask us to cut our PR cards and then keep us hostage for days without e certificate.

I had informed them about my travel plans immediately after my LPP in June 2023 via webforms and emails, asking them to expedite my oath ceremony since I have travel plans on Sept 09.

After 2 months of no response after LPP, they finally scheduled my oath for August 24. Now it's been 5 days since then and I still don't have my e-certificate. I'm not sure if I will have enough time to get my passport and e-visa for India.

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
Guys, there's a thread with steps on how to download your certificate. Try that and see if it works for y'all.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-do-i-download-citizenship-e-certificate.817612/
I already have portal access and I'm trying every 30 mins. IRCC agent told me today that my oath affirmation form isn't received yet which means some clerk at Mississauga office isn't doing his/her job. It's pathetic how inefficient these people are despite repeated emails asking for urgent processing of the e-certificate

Reactions: L0VEL1VER

Babybae

Jan 15, 2018
Canada
I already have portal access and I'm trying every 30 mins. IRCC agent told me today that my oath affirmation form isn't received yet which means some clerk at Mississauga office isn't doing his/her job. It's pathetic how inefficient these people are despite repeated emails asking for urgent processing of the e-certificate
Did you receive it?