+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizen traveling from Canada to Pakistan and back

Kamran1

Oct 20, 2018
Hi all, I am a dual citizen. I have valid Canadian passport and a valid Pakistani passport. I am confused about which passport should I use to travel?

I am planning a trip to Pakistan. I will be keeping both Canadian and Pakistani passports with me when I travel.

When flying out from Canada to Pakistan I show airline both passports as a proof that I can travel to Pakistan and return to Canada.

When I reach Pakistani airport, I show my Pakistani passport to get entry stamp and enter Pakistan.

When departing Pakistan to fly back to Canada, I show them Pakistan passport and get exit stamp on Pakistani passport, and also show them my Canadian passport as a proof that I can travel back to Canada.

When I reach Canada airport, I show my Canadian passport and enter Canada.

Is this the proper or legal way?

Please someone guide. Thanks.

Kamran1

Oct 20, 2018
I have the same concern. I have a valid pak passport and a Canadian passport. I dont have nicop and going to Pakistan end of November. If you have already travelled using both your passports please share your experience.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
You need to carry both valid passports for travel. Show both to airline/immigration personnel.

To make it easier, please renew/obtain NICOP(ID Card) once there at Nadra office. Or apply for it online

hasanafzaal12

Mar 31, 2013
I have the same concern. I have a valid pak passport and a Canadian passport. I dont have nicop and going to Pakistan end of November. If you have already travelled using both your passports please share your experience.
You will have no problems If you have a valid Canadian passport and paki passport.

Gibe

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
Yes according to this http://www.dgip.gov.pk/files/immigration.aspx, Pakistani government recognizes the Pakistani-Canadian dual citizenship.

Consequently yes the procedure is to show the Pakistani passport to onboard the first flight and with Pakistani customs. Then on the return flight show the Canadian passport to onboard and with Canadian customs. You also need to choose a passport for the plane reservation and here you may choose any.

In case the other country didn't recognize dual-citizenship then that would be more tricky, if not illegal.

Edit: On the link above it also states "Any citizen of Pakistan residing outside Pakistan, who is not a minor and is also a citizen or national of another country or has been given by the competent authority of another country any valid document assuring him/her citizenship or nationality of that other country, shall make a declaration of renunciation of citizenship on form “X” in triplicate to the Directorate General Immigration & Passports Islamabad through Pakistan Mission abroad."

So I'm not completely sure that Pakistan actually recognize dual citizenship, you may need to check that.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi
Yes according to this http://www.dgip.gov.pk/files/immigration.aspx, Pakistani government recognizes the Pakistani-Canadian dual citizenship.

Consequently yes the procedure is to show the Pakistani passport to onboard the first flight and with Pakistani customs. Then on the return flight show the Canadian passport to onboard and with Canadian customs. You also need to choose a passport for the plane reservation and here you may choose any.

In case the other country didn't recognize dual-citizenship then that would be more tricky, if not illegal.

Edit: On the link above it also states "Any citizen of Pakistan residing outside Pakistan, who is not a minor and is also a citizen or national of another country or has been given by the competent authority of another country any valid document assuring him/her citizenship or nationality of that other country, shall make a declaration of renunciation of citizenship on form “X” in triplicate to the Directorate General Immigration & Passports Islamabad through Pakistan Mission abroad."

So I'm not completely sure that Pakistan actually recognize dual citizenship, you may need to check that.
Here is what the rule is: http://www.dgip.gov.pk/files/immigration.aspx

While Pakistani citizens were originally banned from acquiring dual citizenship, the Pakistani government has 13 dual-citizenship agreements as of 2010. According to the Pakistani Ministry of Interior, any Pakistani citizen who acquires a citizenship from a country other than the 13 nations specified must renounce his Pakistani citizenship and relinquish all associated rights.

European Countries

1. The majority of countries that allow dual citizenship with Pakistan are located in Europe. These countries include the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Belgium, Iceland, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Sweden and Ireland. Citizens of these nine European countries who were born in Pakistan, have married a Pakistani national or who are of Pakistani descent are eligible to apply for Pakistani citizenship. Of these countries, the United Kingdom had the highest number of Pakistani immigrants in 2009, with 800,000.

North American Countries

2. Both the United States and Canada have dual-citizenship agreements with Pakistan. As of 2009, it was estimated that around 600,000 Pakistanis lived in the United States and about 250,000 lived in Canada. Not all of these North American nationals have dual citizenship, but both countries have sizable immigrant communities of Pakistani descent.

fsarosh

Aug 9, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Year 2010
Med's Request
28-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-01-2014
You must carry both your Canadian & Pakistani passports.Do not waste your money in applying for a NICOP because it gives you a Visa-Free entry if you are from Pakistan and travelling on foreign passport. If you already have a valid Pakistani passport there is no need to waste your time and money on that.

Now with regards to the usage of the passports, this is what my understanding is:

1- When you leave Canada, show your Pakistani passport to the airline counter (so that they can make sure you can travel to Pakistan without a visa)
2- In Pakistan, at the immigration counter, use your Pakistani passport to get a visa free entry.
3- At the time of leaving Pakistan, show both (the Pakistani passport will be used for the "Exit Stamp" and the Canadian will be used to make sure you are good to board for Canada without visa
4- When you land in Canada show both. If they want to check stamps, they can see it on the Pakistani. If they want to use the Canadian you will be good.

Reactions: smash1984

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
It's always good to have a valid ID card within Pakistan (for example, to do any applications, etc you'd need a id card).
[Can't roam around with passport all the time that would be a hassle]

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
The only issue would be if you ran into issues in Pakistan, you might not able to access Canadian consular services if you enter on the Pakistan passport.
Wrong reasoning. You can’t get consular support because you’re Pakistani citizen, not because you’ve entered on Pakistani passport.

fsarosh

Aug 9, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Year 2010
Med's Request
28-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-01-2014
I have checked with one Pakistani & Canadian passport holder who already travelled to Pakistan using both the passports and here is what he told me:

At the time of entering in Pakistan, you have to show your Pakistani passport and the immigration officer in Pakistan will put the entry stamp on your Pakistani Passport.

When you will return, they will put the exit stamp on your Canadian passport because they want to make sure that you have the permission to leave Pakistan to Canada without a visa.

bu ayaan

Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
LANDED..........
18-07-2012
My family has travelled several times. All they carry is their valid Canadian passport and their NICOP. The NICOP allows you to enter Pakistan with any foreign passport.

LEP_582

Jul 4, 2018
I’m not sure what you’re saying, but what I meant was that no matter what passport they used to enter the country, once they contact a Canadian embassy for help in a time of crisis, they (the embassy) would help depending on local laws. Sometimes, if they don’t have a diplomatic mission on the country or they don’t have enough local capacity, they would provide help through key allies like Great Britain, even the US embassies.
FYI, Australia too.

Canada and Australia signed an agreement on this matter: The Canada-Australia Consular Services Sharing Agreement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada–Australia_Consular_Services_Sharing_Agreement

fsarosh

Aug 9, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Year 2010
Med's Request
28-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-01-2014
My family has travelled several times. All they carry is their valid Canadian passport and their NICOP. The NICOP allows you to enter Pakistan with any foreign passport.
What if somebody doesn't have a nicop???

Jun 30, 2012
Hi all, I am a dual citizen. I have valid Canadian passport and a valid Pakistani passport. I am confused about which passport should I use to travel?

I am planning a trip to Pakistan. I will be keeping both Canadian and Pakistani passports with me when I travel.

When flying out from Canada to Pakistan I show airline both passports as a proof that I can travel to Pakistan and return to Canada.

When I reach Pakistani airport, I show my Pakistani passport to get entry stamp and enter Pakistan.

When departing Pakistan to fly back to Canada, I show them Pakistan passport and get exit stamp on Pakistani passport, and also show them my Canadian passport as a proof that I can travel back to Canada.

When I reach Canada airport, I show my Canadian passport and enter Canada.

Is this the proper or legal way?

Please someone guide. Thanks.
Hi Indusmania,
Did you travel to Pakistan with the both passports, did you have any issues with immigration? I have the same issue with me, and I'm traveling to Pak next week. Could you help me out if there are any formalities. Thanks in advance