+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizen traveling from Canada to Pakistan and back

indusmania

Sep 13, 2018
Hi all, I am a dual citizen. I have valid Canadian passport and a valid Pakistani passport. I am confused about which passport should I use to travel?

I am planning a trip to Pakistan. I will be keeping both Canadian and Pakistani passports with me when I travel.

When flying out from Canada to Pakistan I show airline both passports as a proof that I can travel to Pakistan and return to Canada.

When I reach Pakistani airport, I show my Pakistani passport to get entry stamp and enter Pakistan.

When departing Pakistan to fly back to Canada, I show them Pakistan passport and get exit stamp on Pakistani passport, and also show them my Canadian passport as a proof that I can travel back to Canada.

When I reach Canada airport, I show my Canadian passport and enter Canada.

Is this the proper or legal way?

Please someone guide. Thanks.

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
As far as I know, I don't think you can switch passports like that at will. If Canadian citizens require a visa to visit Pakistan, then in my understanding you will need to get that visa to travel and return on Canadian passport.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
As far as I know, I don't think you can switch passports like that at will. If Canadian citizens require a visa to visit Pakistan, then in my understanding you will need to get that visa to travel and return on Canadian passport.
That is absolutely not correct.

It seems to me OP is correct in their understanding of how to use the passports. You're going to have both passports, so I am sure airline operators/workers will be kind enough to advise which document they need to see.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
My understanding is that you should, in both countries, show the airline the passport that allows you to go where you want to go, and the immigration customs the passport that allows you to be where you are. Pretty much what OP is describing here.

In all cases, while not sure what's "advised" to do in this situation, it's absolutely legal to travel using 2 passports. Lots of dual citizens use both, especially when they travel between their 2 countries of citizenship.

JPBless

May 14, 2018
Totally incorrect

As dual citizen (Pakistan and Canada) Pakistani passport gives the man full citizenship privileges to enter and leave Pakistan. In fact, for entry into Pakistan, Canadian passport is useless to the man, just as for entry into Canada Pakistani passport is useless to the man. But the man needs the Canadian passport as proof for the airline (and Pakistani exit control) that he is authorized to enter Canada

Reactions: tenacioustopanga

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
The OP is basically correct. When I enter the USA, I need to use my US passport. When I enter Canada, I should use my Canadian passport (I actually just use my NEXUS card but my Canadian passport info is associated with my NEXUS card).

Reactions: Subu75

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The only issue would be if you ran into issues in Pakistan, you might not able to access Canadian consular services if you enter on the Pakistan passport.

Reactions: riasat.abir

YWG3

May 23, 2018
This is incorrect view

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
The only issue would be if you ran into issues in Pakistan, you might not able to access Canadian consular services if you enter on the Pakistan passport.
Even if they enter on the Canadian passport, as they're also a Pakistani citizen Canada embassy won't help anyway. Think this is what you meant, just pointing out choosing which passport you show doesn't take away the citizenship of the second country.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Even if they enter on the Canadian passport, as they're also a Pakistani citizen Canada embassy won't help anyway. Think this is what you meant, just pointing out choosing which passport you show doesn't take away the citizenship of the second country.
It depends on the local laws and the issue at hand.
In some emergencies like natural disasters Canadian embassies will help (in most countries) get dual Canadian citizens out. I have seen it firsthand in couple overseas missions.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
It depends on the local laws and the issue at hand.
In some emergencies like natural disasters Canadian embassies will help (in most countries) get dual Canadian citizens out. I have seen it firsthand in couple overseas missions.
But that help would also apply to citizens that entered the other country using the other passport.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
But that help would also apply to citizens that entered the other country using the other passport.
I’m not sure what you’re saying, but what I meant was that no matter what passport they used to enter the country, once they contact a Canadian embassy for help in a time of crisis, they (the embassy) would help depending on local laws. Sometimes, if they don’t have a diplomatic mission on the country or they don’t have enough local capacity, they would provide help through key allies like Great Britain, even the US embassies.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Oh we agree on this, thought you meant there would be a distinction depending on the passport used on the other country of citizenship. Sorry.