+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving License Extract - Problems with Indian RTO

Dhaval41194

Mar 26, 2021
> My indian driving license is also non chip .but my RTO give me manual driving extract not online

If you have an extract, you are all set. Note that the extract needs to be less than 6 months old on the day you give your G1 test, so plan accordingly once you land to ensure you can avail your extract
Hii there,
I got a situation like i have a paperbased driving licence from UP, india. When went for there was not automatic system so rto issued paper licence instead of card since 2013. I went to my rto office and get it my driving extract by manually without any problem. But when reached canada some guys told me that canadian driving licence agencies are not accepting paper based licence.
Should i convert my licence into smart card type licence or just go to service ontario for canadian driving license.

Thanks in advance everybody...

siddhi1234567

Apr 15, 2021
Guys, I have a driving license, which is without chip. I got my DL extract (print out stamped by authority) with my driving license details from Delhi RTO. The DL extract does not have my photo.

I am landing in Toronto. Do you think any of the below can cause a problem for me-

1. A driving license without chip
2. DL Extract without my photo

Hi there,
Did you get any trouble with the DL extract without photo?
I have a DL without chip too. Thanks!

PawanKapoor89

Dec 7, 2017
Hi everyone, super useful thread by the way, thank you for your contributions.

I have a license with the chip. and I got my drivers license extract more than a year ago but I plan to give my knowledge test in a month and apply for the driving after that. My question is this: I read and heard that if my drivers extract is older than 6 months old, the experience doesn't count, but if I go to the Sarathi linked website, it simply shows me the same drivers extract as before, and refuses to take a new application for the same (it says application already exists and redirects me to the year-old DL extract).
I plan to go to the Etobicoke center since it seems like a more cooperative place, but I just wanted to clarify if this year old extract will work and help me add the experience, or alternatively what I can do if the indian DL extract portal does not permit me to apply for another DL extract.

Thank you and stay safe!

Ssingh956

Apr 20, 2022
By the way, the QR code can be perfectly scanned by any app and it leads to same information page on Saarthi website of Parivahan Indian government.
Hi,
Then how you proceed with this situation? Actually I am also in the same situation. Please help with your experience

smpbcpr

Feb 7, 2020
Has anyone in this group have a paper based license from India that was not accepted by DriveTest centers and have tried the DL Attestation option from the Indian Consulate to get their experience added. Please share your experiences.

I have a paper based license issued from Kolkata RTO and they stopped issuing chip-based DL since 2019. I have been asked to get an original DL and was told that the license I have, does not have any security feature and is not approved by MTO.

FTFgamer

Jun 18, 2022
To simplify this for all involved:

G1 Learner's Licence - For all, irrespective of driving experience. This is a written test, which is straightforward.
G2 Licence - For those without any international driving experience, wait time of 12 months after G1 before you can attempt G2. If he/she completes a learner's course from a govt. certified institute, wait time reduced to 8 months. For those with 12 or more months of driving experience, they can directly go to G2 without any wait time.
G Licence - Here's where the driving extract comes in. If you want to skip wait time between G1 and G or G2 and G (if you avoid G cuz you aren't confident about attempting a highway test), you need the extract. Otherwise, there is a wait time of a year to get to G. If you have an international licence with more than 12 months of driving experience but no extract, you can attempt the G2 after the G1 immediately, but wait to attempt G for 12 months.

If you are okay with no alcohol in blood, working seatbelts = number of passengers in car between midnight and early morning, and slightly higher insurance amount (in case you buy a car), G2 is fine for most.
I am age 18, about to be 19 in July, I've had my license since 21 September, 2021 and I've been trying to get a driving extract. It won't be 12 months of extract though. It will be 10 months of extract. How long would I have to wait for G2/G level test?

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
I am age 18, about to be 19 in July, I've had my license since 21 September, 2021 and I've been trying to get a driving extract. It won't be 12 months of extract though. It will be 10 months of extract. How long would I have to wait for G2/G level test?
If you opt to 'study' (classroom learning + road practice) at a recognized driving school, you can get it in 8-9 months.

FTFgamer

Jun 18, 2022
If you opt to 'study' (classroom learning + road practice) at a recognized driving school, you can get it in 8-9 months.
Can it be done early? I have a driving experience of 10 months. Would it be of any use? I don't drink and I think so I won't be driving at night so a G2 would work for me.

akshay90

Jan 7, 2019
Has anyone in this group have a paper based license from India that was not accepted by DriveTest centers and have tried the DL Attestation option from the Indian Consulate to get their experience added. Please share your experiences.

I have a paper based license issued from Kolkata RTO and they stopped issuing chip-based DL since 2019. I have been asked to get an original DL and was told that the license I have, does not have any security feature and is not approved by MTO.

Hii was your problem solved? I am facing a similar issue. My license is not a chip based one and they said licence does not fall under MTO standard. When I asked can you please elaborate what standard are you taking about, they refused to provide an answer.

Dipak2636

Feb 26, 2023
You can try the Indian consulate/embassy in the province (you live in) for a letter of driving experience. But it is upto the transport office in Canada to accept it or not. The accepted norm is the computer generated DL-Extract.

The reason why RTO officers in India insist on a chip based license is because the DL-extract is fetched by the online 'Sarathi' system. If your license is a non-chip type, then your driving information isn't linked to Sarathi - hence the RTO's inability to issue a DL-extract.
But now when i applied i got qr code on licence instead of chip and now that is not acceptable hear in canada don't know why?

ekant16

Dec 25, 2022
Hi

I have printout of the softcopy of DL extract. is there any chance of that being accepted? Or do i need to get it stamped.
Hey there, were you able to use the printout for extract soft copy? I’m in a similar situation and wanted to check if stamping is required. The extract states that this is a computer generated document and does not require any signature. Could you please confirm?

Jul 28, 2022
I gave my G1 knowledge test today at the Stratford, ON test center. The drive test agent there (who was Indian btw), said he cannot add the experience to my license. When asked why, he said he cannot give an explanation. Only his supervisor could and that they were not there today. Anyone know why they would do this? and what is likely the issue?

My license is from Gurgaon, Haryana, India and has a chip with it. The DL extract has a QR code and when I scan the QR code, the DL extract shows up in the web browser.

So frustrated and confused that I could not get a reason and all my years of driving experience have been disregarded.