+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving car from US to Canada, and back to US without importing.

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
If you take personal car for landing without importing and exporting formalities, you have to land and return immediately. They don't let you take the car that hasn't been exported inside if you are landing for for first time. If it's rental car, then there won't be any issues.
Hi

What do you mean by 'take it inside'?
Do you have any personal experience in this regard? What you say is different from what others have said above.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi

What do you mean by 'take it inside'?
Do you have any personal experience in this regard? What you say is different from what others have said above.
CBSA agents don't allow permanent residents to take personal car inside Canada when they are landing for first time.. they ask if you have imported/exported the car and if you haven't they don't let you go further into Canada. For subsequent visits it is okay to take, but if you take it for first landing they have give you hard and ask you return back after landing.

I've seen multiple experiences in this forum where people weren't allowed to do that. Check the member deadbird's landing experience post where he explains this at detail. Some people have gotten away with it, but mostly they push back. It's up to you to test this out at an international border.

Reactions: krohit01

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
CBSA agents don't allow permanent residents to take personal car inside Canada when they are landing for first time.. they ask if you have imported/exported the car and if you haven't they don't let you go further into Canada. For subsequent visits it is okay to take, but if you take it for first landing they have give you hard and ask you return back after landing.

I've seen multiple experiences in this forum where people weren't allowed to do that. Check the member deadbird's landing experience post where he explains this at detail. Some people have gotten away with it, but mostly they push back. It's up to you to test this out at an international border.
Thanks @DEEPCUR
So I did my landing and here is how it went.
1.I crossed the rainbow bridge in my personal car. The officer at the checkpost asked few questions:
a. Where do you live in US?
b. What's your status in US?
c. What work you do?
d. When do you plan to move permanently?
After this she sent me to the cbsa office for other formalities.
2. First I met immigration officer. She did her verification, signed CoPR.
HOWEVER, she did not take my address. I asked her about how they will send PR card and she said you will have to apply after you settle permanently. I tried to explain that I am staying with a cousin and that's the address I want to give but she would not budge. Her point was people take PR card but don't settle but use that PR card for medical benefits etc. So they don't give it until you settle. AT that time you submit the form for PR and it comes by registered mail and you have to sign for it .

She said you can travel by road using a CoPR or apply for Returning Resident Visa for travel by air.

Again this is subjective and depends on officer. Another guy was able to give a friend's address and that officer took that.

Then I asked her about GTF and she sent me to customs officer.

Here is where everything that @DEEPCUR said came true.

3. The first custom officer question was about the car.he asked if I was importing it today and I said no. He said I cannot drive in Canada if I don't import. I can drive back to US and come back in a rental car that will be returned back to US.
If I have to drive in Canada they will do the import right there and put an ON plate and take the NJ plate. The guy before me had the same situation and by the time I got to the officer he was already pissed about this.
I finally took the GTF form and started to fill that out.
Then fortunately for me there was a shift change. I filled out the GTF form in great detail and went back to the new officer.He asked if I am importing anything today and I said no. He asked about the car and I said I will drive back in a week.
Thankfully this officer was cool with all this. He said keep the list with you and bring it when you import things. For electronics he had me write serial nos, Vin for the car. For jewelry he said bring pictures as well as receipts when you import. He gave me a form about importing a vehicle and said you are good to go.
I cannot explain the relief at that point.
I collected my passport and got out of there as soon as I could.

So in summary, don't drive your personal car for landing. You may be subject to the whims of the officer.
If you don't have things that you really want to import skip the GTF list since that may save you the trip to customs. You do the immigration and get out.
Be prepared,thanks to this post I was aware of this possiblity so was not surprised. Worst case scenario I would have come back, park near Niagara, walk over to Canada and have my cousin pick me up .
So know your backup options.

Reactions: DEEPCUR

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks @DEEPCUR
1.I crossed the rainbow bridge in my personal car. The officer at the checkpost asked few questions:
c. What work you do?
HOWEVER, she did not take my address. I asked her about how they will send PR card and she said you will have to apply after you settle permanently. I tried to explain that I am staying with a cousin and that's the address I want to give but she would not budge. Her point was people take PR card but don't settle but use that PR card for medical benefits etc. So they don't give it until you settle. AT that time you submit the form for PR and it comes by registered mail and you have to sign for it .

She said you can travel by road using a CoPR or apply for Returning Resident Visa for travel by air.

Again this is subjective and depends on officer. Another guy was able to give a friend's address and that officer took that.

3. The first custom officer question was about the car.he asked if I was importing it today and I said no. He said I cannot drive in Canada if I don't import. I can drive back to US and come back in a rental car that will be returned back to US.
If I have to drive in Canada they will do the import right there and put an ON plate and take the NJ plate. The guy before me had the same situation and by the time I got to the officer he was already pissed about this.
Then fortunately for me there was a shift change. I filled out the GTF form in great detail and went back to the new officer.He asked if I am importing anything today and I said no. He asked about the car and I said I will drive back in a week.
Thankfully this officer was cool with all this. He said keep the list with you and bring it when you import things. For electronics he had me write serial nos, Vin for the car. For jewelry he said bring pictures as well as receipts when you import. He gave me a form about importing a vehicle and said you are good to go.

So in summary, don't drive your personal car for landing. You may be subject to the whims of the officer.
If you don't have things that you really want to import skip the GTF list since that may save you the trip to customs. You do the immigration and get out.
Be prepared,thanks to this post I was aware of this possiblity so was not surprised. Worst case scenario I would have come back, park near Niagara, walk over to Canada and have my cousin pick me up .
Good that you got away with personal car. I personally feel it is not worth taking any kind of stress at borders as the process of getting in to a country itself is enormously stressful.

And you can update the address for PR card by calling CIC customer service. Just get hold of a rep and say that you need to update your address for PR and give your cousin's address. You will get your PR card in few weeks.

The agent's claims on people claiming medical benefits is totally incorrect. Most provinces mandate residency requirements to let people access healthcare benefits and they are pretty strict about this. They do check if the person has met the residency days by getting the physical presence days from border agency and if someone has not met, they charge people.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks @DEEPCUR
c. What work you do?

Thanks for sharing. Many CBSA officers object to people driving US plated cars after landing. So far, I have done it twice without any problems (once when I soft landed and another time when I traveled for a few days). Hoping the charm continues. As noted above, you can call IRCC to notify your Canada address on the PR card application. Do it immediately. Having PR card simplifies things a lot.

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
Good that you got away with personal car. I personally feel it is not worth taking any kind of stress at borders as the process of getting in to a country itself is enormously stressful.

And you can update the address for PR card by calling CIC customer service. Just get hold of a rep and say that you need to update your address for PR and give your cousin's address. You will get your PR card in few weeks.

The agent's claims on people claiming medical benefits is totally incorrect. Most provinces mandate residency requirements to let people access healthcare benefits and they are pretty strict about this. They do check if the person has met the residency days by getting the physical presence days from border agency and if someone has not met, they charge people.
Yes I agree...but by the time I saw your post I was already half way to Buffalo so decided to continue . I had booked a rental for next day as back up

kklamondin

Apr 27, 2020
Hi Everyone! My family and I are moving from the US to Canada. My husband is Canadian, but has lived here in the US for a long time. I have my PR application in process. I have a car in my name and still financed with a US bank. My husband will be driving a UHaul with our personal goods and I will be driving my car across the border. Wondering what the process will be for bringing my car across. Will I have to import it? Can I import it as a visitor? I would prefer to wait until I have my PR to import it, if I have that option. Also, if I bring it in w/o importing it, do I need to list it on goods to follow? There is a chance that once I get my PR, I decide to sell it in the US and buy a new car in Canada. It's our only car once we turn the UHaul back in, so we need to keep it for the time being.

djluvrocks

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Hi Everyone! My family and I are moving from the US to Canada. My husband is Canadian, but has lived here in the US for a long time. I have my PR application in process. I have a car in my name and still financed with a US bank. My husband will be driving a UHaul with our personal goods and I will be driving my car across the border. Wondering what the process will be for bringing my car across. Will I have to import it? Can I import it as a visitor? I would prefer to wait until I have my PR to import it, if I have that option. Also, if I bring it in w/o importing it, do I need to list it on goods to follow? There is a chance that once I get my PR, I decide to sell it in the US and buy a new car in Canada. It's our only car once we turn the UHaul back in, so we need to keep it for the time being.
still financed with a US bank
You cannot drive a car that is financed or leased. You must have the car fully on your/spouse's name in order for it to be imported from US to Canada. Pay off your car fully to get the vehicle ownership documents and you will be able to import it.

Wondering what the process will be for bringing my car across.
I have imported my car back in May 2019 from Niagara border crossing. Here's my experience - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-to-canada-detailed-post-including-car-export-import-and-landing-experience.637265/

Will I have to import it?
Yes

Can I import it as a visitor?
No, you cannot. There are some exceptions for e.g. in case of student studying in Canada and more but they do not apply to your situation.

I would prefer to wait until I have my PR to import it, if I have that option.
I'm afraid that's the only option.

Also, if I bring it in w/o importing it, do I need to list it on goods to follow?
You cannot import car without PR and once you have PR and drive it through the border it's considered as accompanying good/items.

There is a chance that once I get my PR, I decide to sell it in the US and buy a new car in Canada.
That's always an option, but you gotta weigh your car value, new car value here (if you'll be buying on here) and other cost factors (registration etc.). I suggest keep your US car, the cars here have don't good value:distance driven ratio. Atleast, in my preference.

Good luck on your move!

kklamondin

Apr 27, 2020
still financed with a US bank
You cannot drive a car that is financed or leased. You must have the car fully on your/spouse's name in order for it to be imported from US to Canada. Pay off your car fully to get the vehicle ownership documents and you will be able to import it.

Wondering what the process will be for bringing my car across.
I have imported my car back in May 2019 from Niagara border crossing. Here's my experience - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-to-canada-detailed-post-including-car-export-import-and-landing-experience.637265/

Will I have to import it?
Yes

Can I import it as a visitor?
No, you cannot. There are some exceptions for e.g. in case of student studying in Canada and more but they do not apply to your situation.

I would prefer to wait until I have my PR to import it, if I have that option.
I'm afraid that's the only option.

Also, if I bring it in w/o importing it, do I need to list it on goods to follow?
You cannot import car without PR and once you have PR and drive it through the border it's considered as accompanying good/items.

There is a chance that once I get my PR, I decide to sell it in the US and buy a new car in Canada.
That's always an option, but you gotta weigh your car value, new car value here (if you'll be buying on here) and other cost factors (registration etc.). I suggest keep your US car, the cars here have don't good value:distance driven ratio. Atleast, in my preference.

Good luck on your move!
I don't think I explained myself correctly, as I'm still navigating what everything means. We are moving this summer. We will have all of our belongings in a UHaul that my husband is driving and I will drive my car with my son.

I will not be getting my PR for a while still, so I'm entering as a temporary resident (tourist). I will have to come back to the US at least every 6 months. As a tourist can I drive my car across and keep it with me, crossing as needed with it? From what I'm gathering in your response, I will NOT be asked by CBSA to import it since I am not a PR. When I get my PR, I'll have to import it at that time and if I'm keeping it, I will need to have the title.

As far as goods to follow, since I will be eventually landing with my PR, I will at that time be allowed to bring in other items? And when we cross this summer, my husband will claim our household items as goods accompanying, since he's the one that has the Citizenship? Sorry, to me there are so many pieces to this puzzle. And I don't know which matter in terms of customs or immigration.

Thanks for your help!!! I read your post of your importing experience yesterday, very helpful.

djluvrocks

Star Member
May 14, 2018
I don't think I explained myself correctly, as I'm still navigating what everything means. We are moving this summer. We will have all of our belongings in a UHaul that my husband is driving and I will drive my car with my son.

I will not be getting my PR for a while still, so I'm entering as a temporary resident (tourist). I will have to come back to the US at least every 6 months. As a tourist can I drive my car across and keep it with me, crossing as needed with it? From what I'm gathering in your response, I will NOT be asked by CBSA to import it since I am not a PR. When I get my PR, I'll have to import it at that time and if I'm keeping it, I will need to have the title.

As far as goods to follow, since I will be eventually landing with my PR, I will at that time be allowed to bring in other items? And when we cross this summer, my husband will claim our household items as goods accompanying, since he's the one that has the Citizenship? Sorry, to me there are so many pieces to this puzzle. And I don't know which matter in terms of customs or immigration.

Thanks for your help!!! I read your post of your importing experience yesterday, very helpful.
Okay, I slightly misunderstood your post above yesterday. My bad!

Yes, you can enter in Canada as a tourist with your car without importing it and keep it for your tourist stay duration. You can then hop back to US every now and then.

Yes, you're correct, you will NOT be asked to import the car by CBP/CBSA as a 'tourist'.

When you eventually get your Permanent Residency to Canada, you/spouse can drive across the border in car/U-Haul and declare that you're importing your car + any accompanying goods (e.g. clothing, electronics) + goods to follow (e.g. sofa, bed, decor stuff) document.

I agree there are many pieces to this puzzle and it seems complicated when you're just trying to figure out.

I hope I was of help :)

kklamondin

Apr 27, 2020
Okay, I slightly misunderstood your post above yesterday. My bad!

Yes, you can enter in Canada as a tourist with your car without importing it and keep it for your tourist stay duration. You can then hop back to US every now and then.

Yes, you're correct, you will NOT be asked to import the car by CBP/CBSA as a 'tourist'.

When you eventually get your Permanent Residency to Canada, you/spouse can drive across the border in car/U-Haul and declare that you're importing your car + any accompanying goods (e.g. clothing, electronics) + goods to follow (e.g. sofa, bed, decor stuff) document.

I agree there are many pieces to this puzzle and it seems complicated when you're just trying to figure out.

I hope I was of help :)

Thank you for your help! I was suspecting that would be the case, but sometimes there are so many factors it's hard to tell. These forums are great! I will be sure to post our experience.