+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving car from US to Canada, and back to US without importing.

gaara690

Jan 23, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I plan to do soft landing soon and understand it is not mandatory to import my car at this time and will declare it in goods to follow list. I plan to travel for sometime(biweekly) based on my COPR and later on my PR card until I settle things here in US. Would the border agents cause any issue if I travel multiple times in my car without importing it but declare it in goods to follow list? Would they ask me to import it the second time I travel into Canada? Anybody has any experience on this or can provide some insight?

Also Do I need winter tires to drive in toronto area around Feb-April time of this year?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I plan to do soft landing soon and understand it is not mandatory to import my car at this time and will declare it in goods to follow list. I plan to travel for sometime(biweekly) based on my COPR and later on my PR card until I settle things here in US. Would the border agents cause any issue if I travel multiple times in my car without importing it but declare it in goods to follow list? Would they ask me to import it the second time I travel into Canada? Anybody has any experience on this or can provide some insight?

Also Do I need winter tires to drive in toronto area around Feb-April time of this year?
Winter tires are not mandatory in Ontario.

PRs are not allowed to drive US plated cars in Canada. Only visitors are allowed. Will depend on CBSA agent you encounter at checkpost. Some will allow you in while others will give you a warning and ask you to export car in next trip. Never heard of a PR being turned away from Canadian border for not exporting his/her car. :)

gaara690

Jan 23, 2018
Winter tires are not mandatory in Ontario.

PRs are not allowed to drive US plated cars in Canada. Only visitors are allowed. Will depend on CBSA agent you encounter at checkpost. Some will allow you in while others will give you a warning and ask you to export car in next trip. Never heard of a PR being turned away from Canadian border for not exporting his/her car. :)
Thanks for the information.

sathishc87

May 13, 2018
You can declare it as "to follow". I did the same thing when I did the landing and my car was still on loan at that time. Although I did come back to the US and now I am planning to go to Canada. At this time my car is loan free and I have the title as well.
Can we enter Canada with out oun car (loan free) without actually importing and return back to US without any issues?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Finally, I have decided to sell my car. This will increase my cash flow in the time of need. :) I am hoping to get a lease or loan for a car when I buy it in Canada. Do they a good credit score to give a loan? Or are there any banks or agencies that provide loans to newcomers?
Hi Yodheyadhara,

I am exactly in same position as yours. I have a HONDA ACCORD 2015 model with 15k loan on it still. Planning to move to Canada early May next year. Let me know how did you proceed selling off your car.

Thanks.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi Yodheyadhara,

I am exactly in same position as yours. I have a HONDA ACCORD 2015 model with 15k loan on it still. Planning to move to Canada early May next year. Let me know how did you proceed selling off your car.

Thanks.
Try the following
craigslist
autotrader.com
edumunds.com

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
Hi

I will be doing a soft landing this weekend. I will come back to us in a week. I will drive my personal car that has a lien on it.
I plan to declare the car a goods to follow item.
Is not having title on hand a problem for soft landing.i have registration and insurance cards.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi

I will be doing a soft landing this weekend. I will come back to us in a week. I will drive my personal car that has a lien on it.
Is not having title on hand a problem for soft landing.i have registration and insurance cards.
No problem, you only need it when you actually export/import.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi

If you take personal car for landing without importing and exporting formalities, you have to land and return immediately. They don't let you take the car that hasn't been exported inside if you are landing for for first time. If it's rental car, then there won't be any issues.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi

I dont think its an issue as long as you are not moving.
I took the car few times to visit the bank and service ontario before moving permanently. Officer will ask first if you are moving permanently and then will expect your car to be imported.
Before i moved permanently i paid the loan and got the title and then i imported. Before that i used my personal car couple of times without any problem.

Reactions: krohit01