+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Done my landing...Those that already have PR card...How long to wait?

elwebmaster

Jan 7, 2013
ontariobankerpnp said:
I just wanted to say something about your comment that all previous visas are not invalid... I asked about this when i was doing my landing, and the border official said that if you had valid status before you landed, you can use that same status to get on a commercial carrier if you have to fly before you get your PR. So in my case for example, I have a valid open work permit and a valid TRV as a worker that don't expire until 2015. She said that I could use those documents to board a plane. The airlines just want to make sure that once you land in Canada, you will be allowed into the country. And with my visa and work permit, that is a given.

But that is not official information you will not find it on any website, this is just what she told me.

Also, those of you that require to travel urgently, are you aware that you can have your PR card processed urgently, as long as you have proof of a booked trip? See instructions below. I'm not requesting urgent processing, because I'm not planning to travel soon.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-urgent-processing.asp
You shouldn't have your work permit, you are supposed to surrender it at the time of landing. That's a requirement of the landing process. When CIC issues the PR visa they cross (invalidate) your previous TRVs (at least that's what they did to mine). Also, during the landing they cross your PR visa (it is single entry) so now you have no valid visa anymore.
Also the urgent processing does not apply to first time applicants, only for renewal. That's what CIC replied to me, two different agents.

ontariobankerpnp

Mar 8, 2013
elwebmaster said:
You shouldn't have your work permit, you are supposed to surrender it at the time of landing. That's a requirement of the landing process. When CIC issues the PR visa they cross (invalidate) your previous TRVs (at least that's what they did to mine). Also, during the landing they cross your PR visa (it is single entry) so now you have no valid visa anymore.
Also the urgent processing does not apply to first time applicants, only for renewal. That's what CIC replied to me, two different agents.
I guess she did me a favour then. I actually had my work permit with me and handed it to her, and she looked at it, then gave it back to me. And she did not cross off my old TRV, only the immigrant one.

Not that I plan to use my old TRV, since by the time I travel, I'll have my PR card with me.

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ontariobankerpnp said:
I guess she did me a favour then. I actually had my work permit with me and handed it to her, and she looked at it, then gave it back to me. And she did not cross off my old TRV, only the immigrant one.

Not that I plan to use my old TRV, since by the time I travel, I'll have my PR card with me.
I also had a similar experience.

mike.1980

Sep 19, 2012
emamabd said:
I landed at Toronto Pearson, the landing process was quite simple, all i needed was the passport,COPR, address in canada & the funds, the officer did not ask to see the funds - he just asked about the total amount. He asked a few questions - if we are in good health, have we committed any crime, ..and finally he asked me about my profession and what are my plans for getting employment in canada.

In about 30 minutes all 4 forms were completed and we were done. The landing process in itself was short, but the queu was really long - in total i spent about 4 hours in the airport!

I think your move to Toronto is not an issue, since you are a PNP and remained in the same province. Its better to wait for your PR card ofcourse if you want to travel home, you can leave it behind for someone else to collect it and mail it to you - but it can be a hassle if the card was delayed for a long time -or if CIC asked you to re-send your photo's or something..
elwebmaster said:
Hi, I landed in March. As long as you are landing in the same province you should be fine. The landing process itself was easy: just bring the COPR, your passports, any older documents from CIC you may have, that's all they asked really. Sometimes they ask for proof of funds so a bank statement may be helpful.
To visit your home country (assuming it is not USA) you need your PR card (meaning, you can leave without the PR card but you can't board a plane back to Canada without it). The situation is quite confusing (especially for people who still have their visa in their passports: all visas are now invalid). The only possible solutions if you need to leave without the PR card:
1) Official solution: you need to get a "Travel Document" from the Canadian embassy responsible for your country. Check the Embassy website for details.
2) If you have a US visa you may be (MAY BE!) able to travel through the US. If this works you will still have to explain to the border agent why you did this, but from what I have read, they always let you in with COPR if you make it to the Canadian airport.
3) If you are from a visa-exempt country and travelling on AirCanada, I have read people saying that they will let you on the plane with a COPR without the PR card. This is risky. Other airlines apparently will deny you boarding.
4) A friend could receive your PR card and mail it to you. I think you are not supposed to do that either.

Myself, I am in the same boat. Waiting for my PR card and having a pre-booked trip. I have planned a couple of days for Travel Document processing but I still hope it won't be necessary. The issue with travel documents (other than the fee & wait at the embassy) is that some embassies may refuse to give you it since you haven't received your first PR card yet. I hope that doesn't happen.
Thank you so much emamabd and elwebmaster for your information and help:)

Regarding the port of Entry, can I go to the "Pearson Airport" for landing too? I am already in Canada! Which border did you go in Toronto or near cities?

Also, another thing is that as I already said when I applied for CIC I was in Waterloo and I recently moved to Toronto, so in the application I already filled "Waterloo" as my destination city (because at that time I was in Waterloo) and in COPR "Waterloo" is mentioned too (Which I hope it is not a big deal!) but even in my ECAS (When I got my Visa) my home address changed to Waterloo, Ontario, Canada (Just the name of the city) too (but my mailing address is my current address), although I have already updated my new address online and sent an email to CIC and CIO for my address update too and they said they have updated my address! Do I need to follow up with CIC regarding this one or it is not a big deal because my mailing address is showing my current address.

I really appreciate if anyone can help me :)

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
mike.1980 said:
Thank you so much emamabd and elwebmaster for your information and help:)

Regarding the port of Entry, can I go to the "Pearson Airport" for landing too? I am already in Canada! Which border did you go in Toronto or near cities?

Also, another thing is that as I already said when I applied for CIC I was in Waterloo and I recently moved to Toronto, so in the application I already filled "Waterloo" as my destination city (because at that time I was in Waterloo) and in COPR "Waterloo" is mentioned too (Which I hope it is not a big deal!) but even in my ECAS (When I got my Visa) my home address changed to Waterloo, Ontario, Canada (Just the name of the city) too (but my mailing address is my current address), although I have already updated my new address online and sent an email to CIC and CIO for my address update too and they said they have updated my address! Do I need to follow up with CIC regarding this one or it is not a big deal because my mailing address is showing my current address.

I really appreciate if anyone can help me :)
Regarding your landing, check the below link (Inland CIC Processing of Confirmation of Permanent Residence Documents Originating from Visa Offices), it might be of use

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob402.asp

Sam_sar

Apr 24, 2013
Hello,

Could you please give me some information about the landing procedure (if you have any experience in Niagara Falls, it is much better)? I'm not familiar with Niagara falls, where do I have to exactly go and if you share your experience it will be appreciated! Are there any other port of entry nearer to Toronto?

Many thanks

ontariobankerpnp

Mar 8, 2013
Any update guys? Has anyone from Feb/Mar/Apr landings received their PR card in the mail?

It's been 5 weeks for me since I landed and still nothing. The processing timelines keep increasing. Its now up to almost 8 weeks. I really wanted to travel this summer and hate that I can't leave the country till I get the PR card.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

Sandhu62

Jan 23, 2013
HEllo,

I landed on 13th April 2013. I have not received PR card yet. Did anyone who applied for PR card in April received their PR card yet?

plussa

May 1, 2013
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2003
Nomination.....
28-12-2012
AOR Received.
25-02-2013
Med's Request
27-02-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-08-2013
Not sure about your third point.. If you hold a passport from a visa-exempt country, it should be enough for any airline. I have visited Canada for business/tourism with European passport, on Finnair, British Airways and KLM, never got a problem.

elwebmaster said:
Hi, I landed in March. As long as you are landing in the same province you should be fine. The landing process itself was easy: just bring the COPR, your passports, any older documents from CIC you may have, that's all they asked really. Sometimes they ask for proof of funds so a bank statement may be helpful.
To visit your home country (assuming it is not USA) you need your PR card (meaning, you can leave without the PR card but you can't board a plane back to Canada without it). The situation is quite confusing (especially for people who still have their visa in their passports: all visas are now invalid). The only possible solutions if you need to leave without the PR card:
1) Official solution: you need to get a "Travel Document" from the Canadian embassy responsible for your country. Check the Embassy website for details.
2) If you have a US visa you may be (MAY BE!) able to travel through the US. If this works you will still have to explain to the border agent why you did this, but from what I have read, they always let you in with COPR if you make it to the Canadian airport.
3) If you are from a visa-exempt country and travelling on AirCanada, I have read people saying that they will let you on the plane with a COPR without the PR card. This is risky. Other airlines apparently will deny you boarding.
4) A friend could receive your PR card and mail it to you. I think you are not supposed to do that either.

Myself, I am in the same boat. Waiting for my PR card and having a pre-booked trip. I have planned a couple of days for Travel Document processing but I still hope it won't be necessary. The issue with travel documents (other than the fee & wait at the embassy) is that some embassies may refuse to give you it since you haven't received your first PR card yet. I hope that doesn't happen.

ontariobankerpnp

Mar 8, 2013
Hi Guys,
I know this is an old post but I just wanted to update everyone. After doing my landing on the 6th of April, my PR card finally arrived in the mail on July 12th. That's 97 days despite the fact that the website says 67 days for initial PR card.

I could have probably called and pushed for faster service, but I didn't worry about it because I didn't have any major trips planned and I have been able to cross the border into the US multiple times by car with just my COPR since I became a permanent resident.

Anyway, the process for me is FINALLY over!!! Good luck to everyone that's just now getting started.

ronaldoyaronaldo

Aug 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My landing took place on April 7th and I received the PR Card on July 5th! We are talking about 88 days processing! What pisses me off is when I called them to begin with they said there was no trace for my PR card! Then they emailed CIC Sydney and then said "Your card is in the producing process". Have I not called them after the regular processing time passed by, no action would have taken place regarding my PR Card. Anyway, I finally have it! But CIC needs to be more consistent.

nianjian

Star Member
Mar 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys, i have a problem here, please help! I landed this May, around 20th, and still waiting for my PR card, but I have to move home 2 weeks later. Can I change address before getting my PR card?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
ontariobankerpnp said:
Hi Guys,
I know this is an old post but I just wanted to update everyone. After doing my landing on the 6th of April, my PR card finally arrived in the mail on July 12th. That's 97 days despite the fact that the website says 67 days for initial PR card.

I could have probably called and pushed for faster service, but I didn't worry about it because I didn't have any major trips planned and I have been able to cross the border into the US multiple times by car with just my COPR since I became a permanent resident.

Anyway, the process for me is FINALLY over!!! Good luck to everyone that's just now getting started.
thats good news, thanks for updating us...good luck with your future life in canada

anser0131

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-11-2012
Nomination.....
13-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
14-03-2013 "Med Received" 11-04-2013 "In Process" 10-05-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
04-07-2013 "Decision Made" 08-07-2013
I called CIC this morning regarding urgent processing of the PR card and I was told that there is no urgent processing for your very first PR card.

Peter11

Star Member
Sep 27, 2012
Canada, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2012
Doc's Request.
April 2012
Nomination.....
October 2012
AOR Received.
09 November 2012
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
22 November 2012
Med's Request
12 February 2013
Med's Done....
23 February 2013; In Process : 16 April,2013; RRPF paid : 23 Arpil,2013.
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
23July,2013
VISA ISSUED...
31July,2013
LANDED..........
31July,2013
Hello Guys,
I will be in your league shortly. So checking is there any possibility to get PR card sooner?? I have plans to travel to India in August.

Any guidance will be highly appreciative.

Peter