+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does requesting ATIP notes affect an in process file in anyway?

gino007

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
As I am not sure how long I need to wait before I hear back about my currently in process file, therefore I am thinking of requesting an ATIP for the notes in my file. I know that this would cause someone to physically make copies of my file. I am not sure if this would be a good idea to do for an in process file. Any ideas from people who have done so with positive or negative results?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I don’t believe there is a negative impact. (Someone in here claimed they made submissions every week!) the files are more or less computer generated.

Reactions: gino007

gino007

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
I don’t believe there is a negative impact. (Someone in here claimed they made submissions every week!) the files are more or less computer generated.
Every week?! Wow. Well there are 2 kinds of submissions: one is the GCMS notes which anyone in IRCC can see and print and there are the physical notes that an officer has written which sometimes contains more useful info. It is the second which can be a bit more trouble for the local staff as they need to physically find the file and make a copy. I am not sure if the ATIP has its own local staff or it is the same officer who has to make the copies.

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017
I requested ATIP twice. Once in January and once in February. It didn’t affect my processing in any way (I think). DM on March 15th. Awaiting oath confirmation.

As I am not sure how long I need to wait before I hear back about my currently in process file, therefore I am thinking of requesting an ATIP for the notes in my file. I know that this would cause someone to physically make copies of my file. I am not sure if this would be a good idea to do for an in process file. Any ideas from people who have done so with positive or negative results?

Last edited:

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Nope, I ordered ATIP over 15 times when i was sponsoring parents

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
Has anyone ordered an ATIP from CBSA and if so, how long did it take to receive? I applied and paid for mine on Feb 16th, which was a Friday and it was probably after office hours so I imagine the 30 day limit would take effect from the next business day, that being Monday 19th, so 30 days would be the 21st, this Wednesday and I haven't heard a thing from them yet. Is this normal?
I selected that I wanted my files mailing to me so will I just receive them in the mail X amount of days after the 30 day limit or will they email me to either say my application is complete and mailed or that they've extended my waiting period etc?

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to penalize folks for requesting information on their fie

gino007

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Has anyone ordered an ATIP from CBSA and if so, how long did it take to receive? I applied and paid for mine on Feb 16th, which was a Friday and it was probably after office hours so I imagine the 30 day limit would take effect from the next business day, that being Monday 19th, so 30 days would be the 21st, this Wednesday and I haven't heard a thing from them yet. Is this normal?
I selected that I wanted my files mailing to me so will I just receive them in the mail X amount of days after the 30 day limit or will they email me to either say my application is complete and mailed or that they've extended my waiting period etc?
Give it a few more days or a week more and if you still hadnt received it, contact ATIP through email.

Reactions: robinhood_1984

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The generic ATIP application does NOT result in anyone making a physical copy. The applicant receives a copy of a report generated from GCMS, a report which is specifically designed for sharing with the applicant. And, unfortunately, a report which reveals very little if anything which an applicant does not otherwise know or can easily deduce.

There are some situations in which it is a good idea to apply for a copy of your records. However, these tend to be uncommon. In such situations a customized application is more likely to result in a response containing useful information. Making the customized application is more complicated and demands doing some serious homework, in order to craftily compose the request in a way which will actually result in getting real information.

There is no direct penalty for obtaining a copy of one's records. Of course, however, every access to the applicant's records itself becomes a part of the record (even the version of the GCMS record generated for applicants will show dates and events when the file was accessed). So the decision-maker will, naturally, know the applicant has applied for a copy of his or her records. How that might affect the exercise of the decision-maker's discretion is difficult to forecast. In isolation, it probably does NOT invite suspicion. If there are other aspects of the application suggesting cause for concern, who knows.

Please do not mimic the aberrant and abhorrent behavior of those who abuse the system making multiple unnecessary applications for a copy of their records. That behavior, beyond being what it is and deserving all sorts of derogatory attributions, cumulatively has a huge impact on the allocation of IRCC resources and is undoubtedly causing the processing of everyone else's application to be slower. Which most here would not appreciate. For obvious and good reason.

Reactions: paulvoyer

gino007

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
The generic ATIP application does NOT result in anyone making a physical copy. The applicant receives a copy of a report generated from GCMS, a report which is specifically designed for sharing with the applicant. And, unfortunately, a report which reveals very little if anything which an applicant does not otherwise know or can easily deduce.

There are some situations in which it is a good idea to apply for a copy of your records. However, these tend to be uncommon. In such situations a customized application is more likely to result in a response containing useful information. Making the customized application is more complicated and demands doing some serious homework, in order to craftily compose the request in a way which will actually result in getting real information.

There is no direct penalty for obtaining a copy of one's records. Of course, however, every access to the applicant's records itself becomes a part of the record (even the version of the GCMS record generated for applicants will show dates and events when the file was accessed). So the decision-maker will, naturally, know the applicant has applied for a copy of his or her records. How that might affect the exercise of the decision-maker's discretion is difficult to forecast. In isolation, it probably does NOT invite suspicion. If there are other aspects of the application suggesting cause for concern, who knows.

Please do not mimic the aberrant and abhorrent behavior of those who abuse the system making multiple unnecessary applications for a copy of their records. That behavior, beyond being what it is and deserving all sorts of derogatory attributions, cumulatively has a huge impact on the allocation of IRCC resources and is undoubtedly causing the processing of everyone else's application to be slower. Which most here would not appreciate. For obvious and good reason.
Thanks for the info.