+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my work experience count if I transfer to another employer while working for the same company?

prohydra

Oct 1, 2021
Hey all, I'll try to explain it the best I can.

I'm currently working for a U.S company remotely in Canada. I'm hired through a Canadian PEO so legally it's all fine. Now, it's been made clear to me that working under this structure doesn't count towards CEC work experience as it isn't Canadian.

So I have one other option. The U.S company's development team (coders) are all based in Canada. They have their own business established 'XYZ Technologies'. They all complete work for the U.S Company but aren't directly employed them.

If I was to transfer to the development company XYZ Technologies, would this count towards CEC Work Experience. I would be employed by a Canadian company and receive a T4 under their name. However, I won't be completing any work for them, my duties would remain for the U.S Company, my supervisor is also with the U.S Company.

Other things to note, XYZ technologies doesn't have a website or anything information on Google about them, they're just a corporation for the coders to work for the U.S company. Not sure if that matters.

I can get someone from XYZ Technologies to sign off on my reference letter, probably the co-founder and/or Finance Manager.
I will also exclude working for the U.S company from my work history in the application.
I'm also on a PGWP.

Let me know what you guys think or if I can clarify anything, thanks!

Jun 14, 2019
Hi. Are you sure working through PEO for a US company does not count towards valid Canadian Experience?

If possible, could you please provide a little more detail, what is the source of your information, the PEO or any immigration lawyer?