+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does IQAS recognize Degree from Sikkim Manipal University

neeraja404

Star Member
Jul 2, 2018
You asked about ICAS in a previous comment. Have you applied at ICAS or still waiting? Are you sure they evaluate SMU DE degrees?
I have started the application with ICAS last week and yet to submit the docs. I've also contacted SMU for any certificate to prove that distance education programs during the period 2014 - 16 is valid and recognized by UGC so that ICAS doesn't reject it. This is my last hope and going with it as I have no other option. It takes 6 months to even know whether positive or negative and surviving the waiting time is a challenge. Fingers crossed

Navi.1

Nov 2, 2018
I have started the application with ICAS last week and yet to submit the docs. I've also contacted SMU for any certificate to prove that distance education programs during the period 2014 - 16 is valid and recognized by UGC so that ICAS doesn't reject it. This is my last hope and going with it as I have no other option. It takes 6 months to even know whether positive or negative and surviving the waiting time is a challenge. Fingers crossed
What kind of document has SMU provided you to prove that? Can you share?

neeraja404

Star Member
Jul 2, 2018
What kind of document has SMU provided you to prove that? Can you share?
I haven't received any document yet, I have just requested them to share with me if there is anything they can provide to validate my degree. I'll surely let you know if I receive anything from them.

SusheelM

Nov 16, 2018
I have come across a few cases too that were denied assessment by IQAS including mine reason stating that if the study centre is outside of Sikkim, then they are not approved. All these people have done different degrees at diff times so much not able to drill down to main cause. The High court order about SMU does say it doesn't have territorial jurisdiction beyond the state of Sikkim and hence these degrees are not being assessed. However the same degrees (same situation) have been assessed in the past. If someone has more info on it, please share.
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your case. I am still planning to get my MCA evaluated and things are not looking good now.
How do they know its Distance Education? Is it mentioned on any documents? What is your plan now?

Navi.1

Nov 2, 2018
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your case. I am still planning to get my MCA evaluated and things are not looking good now.
How do they know its Distance Education? Is it mentioned on any documents? What is your plan now?

They have asked most of the people lately to provide the details of study centre. I also read one case where the candidate was never asked for any detail, but directly emailed by IQAS that- since you studied at xyz centre, which is outside Sikkim, hence your degree is not recognised.

If you planning to apply at IQAS, don't.

Where did u study and when btw?

Navi.1

Nov 2, 2018
I've escalated the case with them; they have not provided a final response yet.
Update:
Got an email from IQAS today, they denied assessing my masters. I sent them HC orders and UGC notification along with a letter from SMU, no use of escalating the issue. Their manager sent a formal email stating they strictly follow current rules of UGC for Sikkim Manipal University and won't assess any Distance Education degree.

SusheelM

Nov 16, 2018
They have asked most of the people lately to provide the details of study centre. I also read one case where the candidate was never asked for any detail, but directly emailed by IQAS that- since you studied at xyz centre, which is outside Sikkim, hence your degree is not recognised.

If you planning to apply at IQAS, don't.

Where did u study and when btw?
I have already paid the fee, both to IQAS and SMU. :(
I got the degree in 2011 and did it from Pune.

Navi.1

Nov 2, 2018
I have already paid the fee, both to IQAS and SMU. :(
I got the degree in 2011 and did it from Pune.
Has SMU sent Ur transcripts already? If not, ask them to hold meanwhile u apply some here else.

You may still cancel application at IQAS and get a refund.

SusheelM

Nov 16, 2018
Has SMU sent Ur transcripts already? If not, ask them to hold meanwhile u apply some here else.

You may still cancel application at IQAS and get a refund.
That’s a good suggestion, thank you. So, the only option left is ICAS?

Last edited:
Reactions: Navi.1