+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does co-op count towards PGWP? (Urgent)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Attending a private college would not normally qualify for a PGWP only public colleges.

Would check with your school but DLI doesn't factor into a school degree qualifying for PGWP. I would doublecheck with your school whether you qualify for PGWP but unfortunately normally private colleges don't.

Kamalatwal43

Feb 24, 2018
Would check with your school but DLI doesn't factor into a school degree qualifying for PGWP. I would doublecheck with your school whether you qualify for PGWP but unfortunately normally private colleges don't.
That means I’m not eligible to apply for PGWP?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
That means I’m not eligible to apply for PGWP?
Generally as per the CIC site you would only qualify if following applies but still check with your college and ultimately decision is yours still if you want to try applying, not this forums decision

Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree) but only if you are enrolled in a study programs leading to a degree as authorized by the province

Last edited:

yzarcking

Dec 27, 2018
Can anyone share a link to prove the discussion points are correct. Thank you.
If my program is 2 years in length, which has 1.5 years studies + 0.5 years co-op...then I get only 1.5 years worth of study permit??
no u will be eligible for 3 years PGWP.

And for the next 0.5 years , i need to separately apply for a co-op work permit?
if ur program is a coop program then u need coop work permit for it to be counted towards ur study program.

Another query here : is the 0.5 year co-op counted within the programme itself?
yes

Meaning, is it counted as a study period itself in order to get a PGWP?
yes. 2 years coop course is 1.5 years of study and 0.5 years of work experience(study while working) which is part for ur program. So depending on ur college u will be required to write a report on what u did in ur coop term and based on that u will pass or fail coop work term.

Please help me with this, I am considering a co-op course in Canada and for that I need help asap...
coop programs r good as u get work experience during ur study so when u graduate and get PGWP it is easier to find a job.
Can anyone share a link to prove the discussion points are correct. Thank you.

Omfarris29

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
Libya
Category........
Visa Office......
Canada Embassy Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Hello, I am also applying for Sterling College in Surrey, BC Postgraduate Certificate in Nursing, 1yr theory and 9months Co-op. It iso

Omfarris29

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
Libya
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Hello, I am also applying for Sterling College in Surrey, BC Postgraduate Certificate in Nursing, 1yr theory and 9months Co-op. It is not qualified for PGWP since it’s private school. However, is this a pathway for PR?how?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I am also applying for Sterling College in Surrey, BC Postgraduate Certificate in Nursing, 1yr theory and 9months Co-op. It iso
Sterling College doesn't qualify for a PGWP. You should pick a different school if you want to work in Canada after you finish your studies.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I am also applying for Sterling College in Surrey, BC Postgraduate Certificate in Nursing, 1yr theory and 9months Co-op. It is not qualified for PGWP since it’s private school. However, is this a pathway for PR?how?
No - it does not qualify for a PGWP.

No - it does not provide a path to PR.

Pick a different school.

Omfarris29

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
Libya
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
No - it does not qualify for a PGWP.

No - it does not provide a path to PR.

Pick a different school.
Really? I already applied and paid my tuition fee. I applied online with dependents (husband and kids) in Philippines via agent. My agent told me that we can apply in BC PNP or Canadian Experience Class? Is this true? Btw, we are currently residing in Libya.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Really? I already applied and paid my tuition fee. I applied online with dependents (husband and kids) in Philippines via agent. My agent told me that we can apply in BC PNP or Canadian Experience Class? Is this true? Btw, we are currently residing in Libya.
Sterling College is a private school. International students are eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit once they graduate which helps them find a job and gain work experience. But it is only available for students who graduate from public schools. IRCC have issues in regards to students who graduate from private schools.

So chances are very high that you will not get a Post Graduate Work Permit after graduating from Sterling College.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To apply for Canadian Experience Class, you need to have at least one year of paid work experience in Canada. This is going to be pretty much impossible to get without a PGWP. Same thing with BC PNP. You won't have a work permit after you finish school since you don't qualify for a PGWP. So I don't see how you will qualify for this program either.

Unfortunately agents lie because they get a kick-back from the school.

Omfarris29

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
Libya
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Sterling College is a private school. International students are eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit once they graduate which helps them find a job and gain work experience. But it is only available for students who graduate from public schools. IRCC have issues in regards to students who graduate from private schools.

So chances are very high that you will not get a Post Graduate Work Permit after graduating from Sterling College.
Hi! Yes, I am aware that there is no PGWP in Sterling College, however, is there any pathway to PR even if I studied in private college? My agent told me will apply via BCPNP (provincial nominee) or Canadian experience Class.

Omfarris29

Star Member
Dec 22, 2018
Libya
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
To apply for Canadian Experience Class, you need to have at least one year of paid work experience in Canada. This is going to be pretty much impossible to get without a PGWP. Same thing with BC PNP. You won't have a work permit after you finish school since you don't qualify for a PGWP. So I don't see how you will qualify for this program either.

Unfortunately agents lie because they get a kick-back from the school.
Is the 9 months paid Coop program included in the duration of my studies not counted as work experience in Canada?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi! Yes, I am aware that there is no PGWP in Sterling College, however, is there any pathway to PR even if I studied in private college? My agent told me will apply via BCPNP (provincial nominee) or Canadian experience Class.
How will you be eligible for BCPNP or CEC if you don't have a work permit which will allow you to work and gain work experience? Work Experience is a major requirement especially for CEC which needs 12 months of Canadian work experience.