+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does co-op count towards PGWP? (Urgent)

steakpie

Jul 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
First, I have a query regarding co-op work permit:

If my program is 2 years in length, which has 1.5 years studies + 0.5 years co-op...then I get only 1.5 years worth of study permit??

And for the next 0.5 years , i need to separately apply for a co-op work permit?

Or is it that I get study permit of 2 years but even then I need to apply for a co-op work permit worth 0.5 years?

Another query here : is the 0.5 year co-op counted within the programme itself?

Meaning, is it counted as a study period itself in order to get a PGWP?

Because from what I read, credits given for co-op terms are hardly any, as compared to study terms by the college.

Please help me with this, I am considering a co-op course in Canada and for that I need help asap...

Thank you guys for reading and helping me with this :)

Take care...

abdulrahman040

Star Member
Oct 3, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
steakpie said:

If my program is 2 years in length, which has 1.5 years studies + 0.5 years co-op...then I get only 1.5 years worth of study permit??

And for the next 0.5 years , i need to separately apply for a co-op work permit?

Or is it that I get study permit of 2 years but even then I need to apply for a co-op work permit worth 0.5 years?

Because from what I read, credits given for co-op terms are hardly any, as compared to study terms by the college.

Please help me with this, I am considering a co-op course in Canada and for that I need help asap...

Take care...
When you will complete your Masters upon getting your degree, Immediately apply for PGWP after getting Degree, I believe you will get better info on this when you will be visiting your university. Don't stress yourself now. If you stay for 3yrs in Canada (2yrs study+1yrs pgwp) you are eligible for PR.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
no u will be eligible for 3 years PGWP.

if ur program is a coop program then u need coop work permit for it to be counted towards ur study program.

yes

yes. 2 years coop course is 1.5 years of study and 0.5 years of work experience(study while working) which is part for ur program. So depending on ur college u will be required to write a report on what u did in ur coop term and based on that u will pass or fail coop work term.

coop programs r good as u get work experience during ur study so when u graduate and get PGWP it is easier to find a job.

kayacetinsu

Star Member
Dec 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
no u will be eligible for 3 years PGWP.

if ur program is a coop program then u need coop work permit for it to be counted towards ur study program.

yes

yes. 2 years coop course is 1.5 years of study and 0.5 years of work experience(study while working) which is part for ur program. So depending on ur college u will be required to write a report on what u did in ur coop term and based on that u will pass or fail coop work term.

coop programs r good as u get work experience during ur study so when u graduate and get PGWP it is easier to find a job.
You mean he can get 3 years PGWP because 0.5 year of co-op term is counted toward two years program like a full study term?

macIndia

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
L-7.5, R- 7, S-7,W-7
steakpie said:

Take care...
Please note that Co-op is curriculum of course you take. it is not counted as pgwp. When you sign-up for any co-op course, there will be class in a semester before co-op to prepare you on how to apply for co-op jobs. Within that class, you will also file for co-op work permit which will be valid until your expected graduation date.

Plus, if your course is of two years then you will likely get 3 years PGWP permit. Ensure to apply within 90 days of your graduation date. Also, graduation date is the date you complete all the courses required to get the diploma/degree.

kayacetinsu

Star Member
Dec 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
macIndia said:
Please note that Co-op is curriculum of course you take. it is not counted as pgwp. When you sign-up for any co-op course, there will be class in a semester before co-op to prepare you on how to apply for co-op jobs. Within that class, you will also file for co-op work permit which will be valid until your expected graduation date.

Plus, if your course is of two years then you will likely get 3 years PGWP permit. Ensure to apply within 90 days of your graduation date. Also, graduation date is the date you complete all the courses required to get the diploma/degree.
As far as i understood, the co-op term is counted towards 2 years academic program to get 3 years post graduate work permit. Is that correct? (please, give me a short answer, yes or no). thank you.

macIndia

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
L-7.5, R- 7, S-7,W-7
kayacetinsu said:
As far as i understood, the co-op term is counted towards 2 years academic program to get 3 years post graduate work permit. Is that correct? (please, give me a short answer, yes or no). thank you.
Yes, you understood correctly.

Reactions: mytimet

Zuzu2017

Oct 27, 2017
What if the program is 1 year in length, which is 6 months of studies and 6 months of co op work (which is mandatory), can I apply for PGWP after graduation?

And one more question, if I study evening time, is it regarded as a full-time student? How do they check if you were a full-time student or part-time student?

Please help :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What if the program is 1 year in length, which is 6 months of studies and 6 months of co op work (which is mandatory), can I apply for PGWP after graduation?

And one more question, if I study evening time, is it regarded as a full-time student? How do they check if you were a full-time student or part-time student?

Please help :)
The important thing is for the letter you get from your college states that you have completed a 1 year full time program.

Do not understand you evening time question, are you saying you attended college for evening sessions ? Again as far as full or part time is down to what your college confirms on completion.

Reactions: Zuzu2017

Zuzu2017

Oct 27, 2017
The important thing is for the letter you get from your college states that you have completed a 1 year full time program.

Do not understand you evening time question, are you saying you attended college for evening sessions ? Again as far as full or part time is down to what your college confirms on completion.
Thank you so much for a quick respond!

Actually, it's not very clear for me yet about the letter that I will achieve. I requested this info from the college, but in case they provide the prove that it was 1 year full time program, I can apply for PGWP, right?

This is the program, if you don't mind, you can take a look. https://content.greystonecollege.com/pdf/current/Coop-Diploma-Business-Communications.pdf

They provide two options of the study, daytime and evening time with different length, and I'm confused now what to choose in order to be eligible to apply for pgwp after study o_O
I would prefer daytime program that lasts 1 year (6m+6m), but I need to be sure it suits me

Kamalatwal43

Feb 24, 2018
I’m studing in Canadian tourism college in Vancouver... I’m studying hospitality management program of 2 yrs ( 1yr study + 1yr co-op)... am i eligible to apply for post graduate work permit ?

uzair96

Oct 14, 2017

Hii, Friends my program is of 16 months(2 years) accelerated format with included 6 months of work practicum. Will I qualify for a 3-year PGWP after graduation??? Please help me clear my doubt asap. Thanks