+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does CIC call employer for verification?

htrak

Jan 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
03-03-2014
Med's Done....
24-03-2014
Passport Req..
07-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2014
LANDED..........
10-05-2014
Hello, I got an employment verification letter with the details per the checklist. I am wondering if CIC would call the HR person mentioned in the letter. The reason I am asking this is because my HR is dealing with many employees and sometimes she misses the calls and does not respond to the voicemails. If CIC does call the employer, I have to think of other options. Please let me know, your help is appreciated.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
htrak said:
Hello, I got an employment verification letter with the details per the checklist. I am wondering if CIC would call the HR person mentioned in the letter. The reason I am asking this is because my HR is dealing with many employees and sometimes she misses the calls and does not respond to the voicemails. If CIC does call the employer, I have to think of other options. Please let me know, your help is appreciated.
It can happen. They may want verification or may need to query something.

bickyii

Nov 1, 2011
Toronto, ON
htrak said:
Yeah they can call the number which you provided in letter,, The best option is to tell your HR and give heads up if he/she can check voicemails regularly for few days.,

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
Calling an employer for verification is at the discretion of CIC and not a set standard. There have been cases where they do so, but for the majority, I would say they do not. I believe they only do this if they are not convinced the business is legitimate or they wish to confirm your duties directly with your employer.

With that said....I can tell you that I wouldnt worry too much about this, as I'm sort of in the same position...since my employer is very strict on HR policies and will not give out information on employees. So, if CIC calls, all they would get is employment dates, pay information and disciplinary actions (if even that). On the other hand....my company has over 2,000 employees, so even if they asked, the HR person would probably just read from the file/letter they issued...thus making the call a moot point.

If they need to get in touch, CIC will do so...dont worry too much about this. If you need to ensure a response, then include a business card from your supervisor. Just a thought!

htrak

Jan 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
03-03-2014
Med's Done....
24-03-2014
Passport Req..
07-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2014
LANDED..........
10-05-2014
Thanks everyone!

nikosyozzer

Star Member
Aug 10, 2014
Cornwall
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2014
So as a follow up to this, can you tell us if CIC did give the HR contact a call?

I am also in the same position. I have given the HR the heads up, all was listed in the letter and even my manager has been made aware that they may be called for a reference by CIC (I have let the HR person know that if there are questions which they feel they are not best in place to answer then they can get CIC to call the manager).

My company is very well established but I guess it does make sense to call for references, even if it is to confirm job role and duties etc.

Thanks for listening and looking forward to a reply :)

Yosh

Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
13-03-2014
IELTS Request
submitted with applicaption
Med's Request
03-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Some questions - will they identify themselves when they first call like most of the representatives of a company, or just ask for the HR department? Also, would the caller display show "the Citizenship and Immigration Canada"?

Thank you.

Dimma

Star Member
Oct 22, 2012
Yosh said:
Some questions - will they identify themselves when they first call, or just ask for the HR department? Also, would the caller display show "the Citizenship and Immigration Canada"?

Thank you.
CIC office called me once in my phone number provided in the application for some clarification but I missed that call , later i got email to provide some clarification. The phone was NOT displayed "the Citizenship and Immigration Canada" , it was a phone number with Ottawa area code.
Later i found from this forum that it is CIC Ottawa office phone number.

Yosh

Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
13-03-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
03-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Dimma said:
CIC office called me once in my phone number provided in the application for some clarification but I missed that call , later i got email to provide some clarification. The phone was NOT displayed "the Citizenship and Immigration Canada" , it was a phone number with Ottawa area code.
Later i found from this forum that it is CIC Ottawa office phone number.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
- Do you still remember the number...?
- Did they leave a voice message with a call-back number, if so, did they identify themselves?
- What sort of clarifications were they looking for?
- Wast the call made before/after MR was submitted?
- Was your company small or big (I heard that the CIC tends to call those who work at a less well-known company, is it true)?

So sorry for asking so many questions, but your answer would be very much appreciated!

Dimma

Star Member
Oct 22, 2012
Yosh said:
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
- Do you still remember the number...?
-- Number was 613 960 1000
- Did they leave a voice message with a call-back number, if so, did they identify themselves?
-- I missed their call , but they didn't left a voice message , I call them back but they didn't answer my queries and
said office will contact through email if they need any clarification

- What sort of clarifications were they looking for?
--Follow my old thread , http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t177470.0.html ,
I clarified the email later and everything went well after that

- Wast the call made before/after MR was submitted?
--It was before MR
- Was your company small or big (I heard that the CIC tends to call those who work at a less well-known company, is it true)?
-- Mine was a big MNC. I also heard from this forum that they usually call employer if the company is not well known , Mostly for NOC B candidates , But in my case they tried to call me only not the employer

So sorry for asking so many questions, but your answer would be very much appreciated!

Yosh

Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
13-03-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
03-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Thank you very much for such detailed answers!
Good luck to everyone!

aashu287

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 Aug 2014
AOR Received.
12 Feb 2015
Med's Request
28-03-2015
Med's Done....
8-04-2015
Plz Advice......Urgent Help
When I submitted my application , I was not in good terms with my manager so I gave my colleagues reference who also works as a manager.....however, today he got a call from my company HR asking for verification ( about Y did he acknowledge the reference letter as my manager when he is not) He got afraid and denied his acknowledgement ......now tomorrow they may call me regarding this.... I am scared I may lose the job also curious what if they send negative feedback from my company..... now my question is how do they verify the job details....do they call directly HR or the reference...what could be consequences ....please help.... vious Employers to verify Work Experience

Reactions: Tomi2

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aashu287 said:
When I submitted my application , I was not in good terms with my manager so I gave my colleagues reference who also works as a manager.....however, today he got a call from my company HR asking for verification ( about Y did he acknowledge the reference letter as my manager when he is not) He got afraid and denied his acknowledgement ......now tomorrow they may call me regarding this.... I am scared I may lose the job also curious what if they send negative feedback from my company..... now my question is how do they verify the job details....do they call directly HR or the reference...what could be consequences ....please help.... vious Employers to verify Work Experience
1. If it was CIC phoning to verify the experience letter and they phoned HR and HR contacted the Manager who supplied the reference and he denied, you have a real problem.

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
aashu287 said:
Your HR got call on Sunday from CIC ? Strange ..

nikosyozzer

Star Member
Aug 10, 2014
Cornwall
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2014
Just to confirm that CIc never called mine or my wife's employers. PR visa was issued last month.

Reactions: Vasu Vinaik and Uvr