+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a visit visa refusal affect a citizenship application?

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Hello all,

Apologies if this has already been asked before (I'll delete the thread if it has), but would a visit visa refusal affect the decision of a citizenship application in any way?

My application is in process, didn't have test invite/interview yet, but my recent application for a UK visit visa got refused because of a very lazy application on my part (didn't provide enough information). I'm confident that I'll be granted a visa if I reapply, but I expect to be a Canadian (and hence not require a UK visa anymore) sometime this year. At this point I'd reapply for a visit visa only if it were to negatively affect my Canadian citizenship application.

I'm worried that during the interview when my passport stamps are being assessed and they see a refusal, it'll delay everything even more.

Thanks

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm assuming that the refusal came after you submitted your citizenship application? If so, it's fine. Actually - it's fine either way.

All that matters is you answer all questions honestly. So at the time of your interview, all you need to do is explain that your visitor visa was refused and the reasons why. It won't impact your application.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
If you are asked, then you have to be truthful (being truthful about everything at least to the best of your knowledge is an absolute must), but I don't see how this can be relevant for citizenship application.

For PR application, I know for sure you would be asked if you had ever been refused visa by any country (in fact, I had to disclose a Canadian visa refusal when I applied for Canadian PR over 5 years ago, but it didn't end up being an issue), but you've been through that already.

There is no question in the citizenship application form asking whether you have been refused visa by any country or Canada (but double and triple check, just to be sure).

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
if you meet citizenship requirements and follow the process, any visa refusal should not change the ultimate result. there maybe higher scrutiny and some delay. all the best.

CAforCA

Jan 27, 2009
Doc's Request.
20th Jan 2010
AOR Received.
25th May 2010
IELTS Request
15th Dec 2009 Taken Score 7.5
File Transfer...
20-01-2010
Med's Request
28-09-2010
Med's Done....
11-10-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
6/1/2011
LANDED..........
25/6/2011 Yoo Hoo
Citizenship process for Canada is clear - does not take into account any visa cancellation. They just look for police clearance from all the countries you have stayed in for more than 180 days in your last 5 year period - all other factors are noise

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Thanks for the response everyone! I feel way more relieved now. I got a refusal few days ago, and I applied for citizenship 3 months ago. I have a detailed letter explaining the reasons for the refusal, so I will take it for my interview (just in case I'm asked), and also I have my reasons to prove why the refusal was unfair, so I definitely plan to be truthful.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Thanks for the response everyone! I feel way more relieved now. I got a refusal few days ago, and I applied for citizenship 3 months ago. I have a detailed letter explaining the reasons for the refusal, so I will take it for my interview (just in case I'm asked), and also I have my reasons to prove why the refusal was unfair, so I definitely plan to be truthful.
None of this is necessary. But if you are still going to carry documentation and explain yourself about the unfairness of a UK visa rejection, then I will suggest do it only if asked. I am 100% confident noone will ask, so you should be safe from mini self-immolation.