+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a private college diploma count for CRS points?

EdithF86

Star Member
Oct 31, 2016
Hi,

I have been searching for a long time but can't find the answer to this anywhere. I got accepted into a private college (Tamwood Careers) for a 1 year diploma, but they are not PGWP eligible. Will I still get points for this diploma under Canadian Education and also extra points for having 2 diplomas, since I also have a bachelor from Belgium? In Express Entry, they ask if the private college operates under the same rules as public colleges, but how can I know this for sure? My contact at the school says that the diploma counts, but I'd like to find some confirmation just to be 100% sure before I invest a lot of money in the tuition, because a lot of the information I find seems to indicate that it's possible that it won't count.

Last edited:

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi,

I have been searching for a long time but can't find the answer to this anywhere. I got accepted into a private college (Tamwood Careers) for a 1 year diploma, but they are not PGWP eligible. Will I still get points for this diploma under Canadian Education and also extra points for having 2 diplomas, since I also have a bachelor from Belgium? In Express Entry, they ask if the private college operates under the same rules as public colleges, but how can I know this for sure? My contact at the school says that the diploma counts, but I'd like to find some confirmation just to be 100% sure before I invest a lot of money in the tuition, because a lot of the information I find seems to indicate that it's possible that it won't count.
I would suggest you consider public colleges. They tend to be the same rate as private colleges with better recognition.

Sarantos

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
Hi there,

You won't get points for it. When I applied for my PGWP it asked me the same question. If my college(Private) operated under the same rules as a public college. I put yes... When it got refused, the reason the officer mentioned was that my college didn't operate under the same rules as a public college.