+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a PR traveling to Mexico have to show their PR Card to enter Mexico?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A family member (U.S. citizen) came across this when planning their vacation and have not received their new PR Card, which got me thinking. LOL!

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada/index.php/en/notices/11506-entryrequirements

Entry Requirements

Important Announcements
The Embassy of Mexico in Canada informs the public that Canadian nationals and permanent residents of Canada do not require a visa to enter Mexico.
Canadian nationals must present a valid passport to prove their nationality. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of passports; nevertheless, this document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to be in Mexico.

Permanent residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.
All foreign visitors, regardless of their nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism, business or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by any the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area.
---

Why would a PR of Canada need to show their PR Card to enter another country? I've traveled to Mexico a few times and don't recall ever having to show my card.

As an aside (and good news)...
As of September, 2022 the FMM form (tourist card) is no longer required for the following airports:
https://www.natvisa.com/mexico-blog/tourist-card-being-phased-out

• Cancun International Airport (CUN)
  • Cozumel International Airport (CZM)
  • Los Cabos International Airport (SJD)
  • Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR)
  • Mexico City International Airport (MEX)

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Permanent residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.
All foreign visitors, regardless of their nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism, business or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by any the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area.
Why would a PR of Canada need to show their PR Card to enter another country? I've traveled to Mexico a few times and don't recall ever having to show my card.
I have travelled with PRs who hold passports which do not give visa-free entry to Mexico - and they must show their PR cards to be admitted. Those holding passports which give visa-free entry to Canada do not need to show their PR cards (eg USA, UK, Japan, Schengen, and some others).

But Mexico's language explaining this is unclear, making ti sound like eg a US national who is a PR who travels to Mexico must show their PR card.

This kind of loops us back to our periodic discussion about demonstrating that PRs who are US passport holders do not need a PR card to fly to Canada. The language out there is simply not clear.

I think this is a weakness of logical expression in English: we need a series of 'sets' (types of individual) and documentation requirements that expresses these things more clearly. Perhaps flowcharts with those yes/no arrows. Remember that so many countries have bans on criminals entering, you'd start with those: "Are you a criminal? Yes - stay at home."

Set [1] Visa-free passport holders: [USA, Canada, Schengen, UK, Japan]
Set [2] Other visa exemptions: [PRs of Canada, PRs of USA, visa holders from countries in Set [1]

Doc requirements:
Set [1] Passport of issuing country.
Set [2] Valid passport (other countries) + visa/PR card from countries in Set [1]

[Note I made some of this up, I suspect 'Muricans don't need passports to enter mexico if by land, don't know.]

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have travelled with PRs who hold passports which do not give visa-free entry to Mexico - and they must show their PR cards to be admitted. Those holding passports which give visa-free entry to Canada do not need to show their PR cards (eg USA, UK, Japan, Schengen, and some others).
But why would a person need to produce a PR Card for Canada, to enter a country other than Canada?

But Mexico's language explaining this is unclear, making ti sound like eg a US national who is a PR who travels to Mexico must show their PR card.

This kind of loops us back to our periodic discussion about demonstrating that PRs who are US passport holders do not need a PR card to fly to Canada. The language out there is simply not clear.
I guess we can't take a Wikipedia post as being `clear' language:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Canada#Dual_citizens_and_permanent_residents
Permanent residents of Canada from visa-exempt countries are also barred from applying for an eTA and must travel with their valid PR card or a one-time permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when travelling to Canada by air unless holding a U.S. passport.

But...I digress.

[Note I made some of this up, I suspect 'Muricans don't need passports to enter mexico if by land, don't know.]
Correct. Apparently, a birth certificate works in place of a valid passport for entering by land. Go figure. LOL!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But why would a person need to produce a PR Card for Canada, to enter a country other than Canada?
It's not that unusual. As noted, green card holders get lots of exemptions from visa requirements in lots of countries. (Canada doesn't even require green card holders to get ETAs anymore)

Or put differently: Mexico can require whatever it wants. If it wants to say you can enter without a visa as long as you have an ontario driver's license, then fine - ontario can only regulate its use for purposes of driving/identification in Ontario, but if Mexico wants to accept it, so be it. They could accept your baptismal certificate if they want.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not that unusual. As noted, green card holders get lots of exemptions from visa requirements in lots of countries. (Canada doesn't even require green card holders to get ETAs anymore)

Or put differently: Mexico can require whatever it wants. If it wants to say you can enter without a visa as long as you have an ontario driver's license, then fine - ontario can only regulate its use for purposes of driving/identification in Ontario, but if Mexico wants to accept it, so be it. They could accept your baptismal certificate if they want.
Good point.

I suspect when I tell them that I don't have a clear answer for they'll go into `panic mode', even though I think they'll be fine with just the U.S. passport.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good point.

I suspect when I tell them that I don't have a clear answer for they'll go into `panic mode', even though I think they'll be fine with just the U.S. passport.
They will be fine with just the US passport. If they want to panic, that's fine.